Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: regional prospector needs an update?  (Read 6456 times)

CautionToTheWind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
regional prospector needs an update?
« on: July 14, 2008, 10:51:27 am »

Or is there a version that works with the new df_28_181_39a that i did not find?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: regional prospector needs an update?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 11:00:14 am »

Yeah, prospector doesn't work with the new version.  Since it's been out for a couple hours, I don't know what magical patch you're expecting.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 12:23:56 pm »

Same with tweak i spose?
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 09:57:59 pm »

You should contact whoever made this third party application then.

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:13:00 pm »

I guess we're back to the dark ages where adamantine was actually hard to find, dwarves were dwarves, and elves were dead.

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 03:38:20 am »

woot its back to the russian roulette of death hidden inside our mountain sides.

yeah the regional maps got an overhaul twice (could be more) from the last update. Prospector's multiple release stability relied on that very code not changing dramatically as it did.

we probably wont see a working prospector for a long time...

CautionToTheWind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 11:50:46 am »

Yeah, prospector doesn't work with the new version.  Since it's been out for a couple hours, I don't know what magical patch you're expecting.

Prospector had survived a few version changes. And some utils can be adapted to the new versions with a simple text file with memory positions.

Not really magic.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 05:16:26 pm »

I recall that prospector didn't function in the same way as the others though, it directly hijacked the display kernel or something like that.  Thats why it had DF itself display the info instead of displaying the data in another window, and why it was multiple version compatible.  But it probably relied on the code for the display not changing.

It's also possible that Toady intentionally broke it.  I honestly don't know what I'd think about a program like that messing with one of my games.

Memory positions won't help fix that I don't think.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Nazush Ebsas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 05:51:32 pm »

Well that was fast.  Don't I feel like a jerk.  However-

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.  Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 08:54:47 pm »

Regional Prospector doesn't need an update. Regional Prospector needs to die.

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 09:55:31 pm »

Fuck you. Fuck you and you're stuck up bullshit attempts to tell people how to enjoy a game. Fuck you and all of the other assholes on this otherwise excellent board who use terms like "savescumming" or mock people for how they like to play.

Die in a fire asshole.

Anonemoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 10:13:20 pm »

Fuck you. Fuck you and you're stuck up bullshit attempts to tell people how to enjoy a game. Fuck you and all of the other assholes on this otherwise excellent board who use terms like "savescumming" or mock people for how they like to play.

Die in a fire asshole.

Hey now, there's no need to start a flame war, especially when you're pulling off the same stuck up bullshit. I almost agree that Regional Prospector should die as it dampens the experience of OMIGODTHEREWASADAMANTITEANDMAGAMHEREOHCHRISTJESUSDEAMONSEVERYONEOHGODDAMN...

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 10:33:33 pm »

Die in a fire asshole.

Hey now, there's no need to start a flame war, especially when you're pulling off the same stuck up bullshit. I almost agree that Regional Prospector should die as it dampens the experience of OMIGODTHEREWASADAMANTITEANDMAGAMHEREOHCHRISTJESUSDEAMONSEVERYONEOHGODDAMN...

EDIT: Had typed "Anonemoose" below when I meant "MaxVance". Fixed.

My point of view is essentially the polar opposite of mouth breathers like MaxVance . I contend that people should enjoy DF however they see fit: with utils or without. With backup saves or without. Players have the freedom to do as they choose.

MaxVance , who was not only shitting on this thread but the one in the Modding forum as well - for no obvious reason than pure asshatery - seems to feel he has the right to denigrate or restrict this freedom.

With utilities, people are free to the "experience of OMIGODTHEREWASADAMANTITEANDMAGAMHEREOHCHRISTJESUSDEAMONSEVERYONEOHGODDAMN" if they choose. Likewise, if they prefer not to or have already been there done that a dozen times, they can choose to use the utils.

What someone does in their own instance of a single player game in no way "dampens" that experience for anyone else. And to claim it does borders on the outright insane.

These utilities are made by some extremely skilled and dedicated coders in their spare time. They provide more to the community, and their contributions are of such a singular nature, than bile spewing worthless skinbags like MaxVance could ever dream of.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 10:41:06 pm by Riemann »
Pages: [1] 2