Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: regional prospector needs an update?  (Read 6455 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: regional prospector needs an update?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 10:36:34 pm »

Omg you calling him an intolerant? Well, you're have no tolerance for intolerant people, so you're intolerant too.

LOLWUT!

I'll have to second Riemann's post, just without the flames :)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 11:20:31 pm »

Wait....  rest and relaxation are now mandated.  I don't see MaxVance (or Riemann) in the prospector thread on the modding forum that was mentioned either...  this is sort of confusing.  In any case, some chillage.  Lots of chillage.  Riemann, if you have a problem with a post that's flaming/spamming a thread, click the report button instead of firing at people.  People don't need to die.  MaxVance, probably not good to go after a something in a derailish way when people are having a discussion and trying to fix something up.

I didn't break anything intentional, but it's inevitably that most of the utilities would die after a large update.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 01:16:23 am »

I use prospector because I hate to keep making/abandoning forts in search of magma. It puts my mind at ease knowing I don't have to search in vain for it, I can just start digging and know that somewhere, it's waiting for me.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 06:45:36 am »

Ah great, that was quick, now i can see how volcanism affects some of my worlds and start experimenting with how chasms react to some new features. Thanks.

edit: "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.  Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 07:38:19 am by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 09:12:05 am »

I may just be being overly paranoid but that link to "Regional Prospector39" look pretty fishy. I mean, I guess there's nothing that says a guy has to use the same file hosting service all the time, but neither the guy's wiki page and the Regional Prospector entry on the Utilities page make any references to a .39a or b version. Indeed, the only reference to that at all is someone asking on his wiki page about the application configuration errors.
So... yeah. I'm not downloading from that link until I hear something from the guy who actually made the thing.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 09:41:43 am »

I've tested it and it works for me. He also includes a copy of the source in the zip file.

EDIT: though I am curious as to what's up with the different name and the wiki not being updated.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 09:45:11 am by Janus »
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

RogerN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 10:16:54 am »

Regional prospector is an invaluable tool.  It REALLY sucks to spend hours searching through 20 Z-levels of solid rock, only to find that there's no magma, no HFS, no underground features of any kind.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 11:44:13 am »

It looks like the above link comes from this thread, where someone other than the creator of the program used his knowledge of assembly to alter the executable file itself.  It's not perfect, apparently, but it will satisfy some people until a proper new version is released.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 01:35:39 pm »

Also for some reason the rivers show up as brown, and there are other features that have different colors than usual.

andrew01292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 06:58:02 pm »

Also for some reason the rivers show up as brown, and there are other features that have different colors than usual.
That's not a river dude, it's the dwarven sewer outlet

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 10:08:47 pm »

That's not a river dude, it's the dwarven sewer outlet

Ah so it's a feature then!

mmeurk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2008, 11:52:01 am »

OK, the link to regional prospector in this thread on page 1 is 2 versions old, see this thread (also posted by Exponent) for the current version. It is not named the same for two reasons. First, it does not work with any versions earlier than 39a. Second, I wanted to differentiate it from the version that 0x517A5D made in the case that 0x517A5D were to come back and continue where he left off. If they were named the same, there could have been some ambiguity as to which was what.
Pages: 1 [2]