Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.39a Released  (Read 39739 times)

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.39a Released
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2008, 08:51:02 pm »

Sorry if someone already answered it, but the editor is completely used by the mouse. Hold down left mouse button to draw, hit Enter to see what the world would look like (doesn't show evil/good/etc, or snowy/...not, and obviously it doesn't show caves, you can't place those yourself, however that would be a cool idea...). Hold down the right mouse button and move the mouse to navigate the world (fun  ;D), and you can basically left click on any text to edit it. For example, painting/not painting, normal vs. blending or w/e drawing, edit drawing size, view a certain map (temperature, savagery, volcanism, elevation, drainage, and rainfall), and edit what value each will do (click on the numerical drawing value for rainfall, for example, and type in what you want to draw with, then hit enter). There might be more, but that was just a quick browsing of it by me.

Also, it may have just been me who wasn't quite sure at first, but if you are trying to get a certain tile (ex. - swamp, forest, hills, etc.)...

rainfall goes from 0-100, with 0 making dry areas

elevation goes from 1-400 (not sure what the second number means...), with anything below 100 being water, and with 300+ being mountain

temperature goes from 25-75, and has no effect on the land (besides snowy/not snowy, but that cannot be seen from the editor)

drainage goes from 0-100, with 0 making areas that retain water, such as swamps and deserts, and 100 making areas that lose any rainfall that comes, such as forests and badlands.

savagery goes from 0-100, and also has no effect on the land, but might affect evil vs. good, but I haven't tested it

volcanism goes from 0-100, with 0 never having volcanoes and 100 always having them, unless a maximum is otherwise specified in the advanced options, or so I think, maybe just a high chance. I made many tiles volcanoes in the editor, maybe 100 or so, but only turned out with 25 or so when the world generated. Maybe a bug?

EDIT: gramer and something I misread
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 09:03:54 pm by Vaiolis »
Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2008, 09:23:34 pm »

I just got 2 people into DF yesterday. I was telling them how much I was waiting for this!! This is awesome!!!
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2008, 09:37:01 pm »

Edit: Damn, can't get it to work. I'm trying to use a custom tileset and DF is acting like I did something wrong, like get the filename wrong. But I didn't. I've double checked everything. Maybe I want it too small... is there anyone else out there who can't get 8x8 tilesets to work?

Edit 2: Any custom tilesets I put in won't get recognized by the game and when I open it all I get is a plain black screen.
I did the same thing.  I simply forgot to copy the actual bmp from the older version's /data/art folder to the new version's.  I felt dumb afterward.  You might have a different problem, though, and thus might not be as dumb as me.

Nope, the BMP files are in the newer version's art folder, and they are BMP files (I didn't forget to convert them from PNG like I do sometimes), and the file name is in init.txt correctly (I didn't forget the file extension like I have done before), and the window size fits the tileset.

It works perfectly when I use the default tileset, but I like square ones better.

Edit: Found the problem! Turns out the program I was using to convert them from the PNG files on the Wiki to BMP files wasn't automatically saving them as 24 bit BMP files. I have no clue why DF is this picky, but I'll assume it's kinda important.

On another note, in the world editor thinger, I've noticed that you can't alter the Good/Evil status of tiles currently. Which means that I can't make my pretty picture all purple and blue where I want it to be.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 09:58:24 pm by penguinofhonor »

doomy midget

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2008, 11:10:20 pm »

Once the World editor is fully operational, I am so making Middle earth!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:24:07 pm by doomy midget »

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2008, 12:25:12 am »

Please tell me someone is willing to take it upon themself to make the most popular graphics set work again.

We needs it!  :'(

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2008, 12:48:38 am »

Has there always been an option to turn off the economy? I should have played with the init more, oh well...

Anyway
[SHOW_ALL_HISTORY_IN_DWARF_MODE:YES]

Someone noticed this before, but still, sweet.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

The Hidden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2008, 01:41:42 am »

How do you turn off rejections in world gen?
hat''s it for now.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2008, 01:42:24 am »

So road placement produces cthonic abominations, hydra are taken down by kobolds and rise again to defend them, all creatures have had the ability to sleep replaced with deathly comas, the faithful give praise to broken tag-lines, goblins are arbiters of peace and understanding, the elves are utterly borked, worlds beyond count are rejected, and grammatical errors and misplaced tags abound.

Your shouts of praise are not in vain!  All will be well, all will be grand!  The Toad hears you and his great works do not cease!

And in times to come, remember this day.  Remember how we groped and grasped in blind elation to learn the mysteries of worldgen.  Remember how we filled a page and a half with witty and hilarious bugreports.  Remember how we marveled at the grandure of the collision of RNG and history.  Remember how the hardcore were given joy at seeing the mortals whinge and wilt without the precious utilities.  Remember how we enraptured each other, in eleven threads across five boards, with epic tales of the neverending wars 'tween superhumans and zergelves.

And remember, remember how we sang and danced in joy.

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SwiftSpear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2008, 01:46:06 am »

Awesome work.  Wish there were more fortress mode gameplay relevant changes, but meh, can't always have your cake and eat it too.
laceholder Signature

Malek Deneith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2008, 02:30:34 am »

Sorry if someone reported this before, but I seem to have a little "issue" with generation year length - world generation seems to stop at pre-generated year based on map size (from 30 to 300 years) - tried checking advnaced settings, but there everywhere 1050 is displayed... and the game promptly ignores that setting O.o

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2008, 02:34:34 am »

Alright, to make sure everyone gets the memo-

At default, worldgen stops on a 100x when there are no more megabeasts.  As all the megabeasts are being rendered as giant pansies right now, worldgen ususally ends pretty quickly.  In the parameters, go to "Percentage Beasts Dead for Stoppage" and hit 'n' to nullify it.

Maybe, as a suggestion, nullifying that setting should be the default instead?  At least until megabeasts can put up a better fight.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2008, 03:03:19 am »

or you could mod the megabeasts to be butcher and put up more of a fight.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2008, 03:40:45 am »

In fortress mode, a dragon burned all but one of my dwarves, paraded around the burning countryside, and burned to death.

Keldon

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood For The Blood God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2008, 04:17:36 am »

I guess im a bit late but....

WoooooHooooo!

A proper world generator is just what we needed, now my dwarves just need some coffee to keep them awake, else the sandman gets em in there sleep :)
Girls are always running through my mind, They dont dare walk

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2008, 04:58:38 am »

Hi!

Awesome work.  Wish there were more fortress mode gameplay relevant changes, but meh, can't always have your cake and eat it too.

Personally, I think that just being able to read the engravings is making this worthwhile (especially once dwarves stop going into fatal hibernation in the middle of spring :) :) :) ). So, I for one am very pleased with the improvements and looking forward to explore fortress mode in the debugged version ([NO_SLEEP] is kind of nice, but it does not feel right to do it).

Actually, I already noticed an engraving that made me wonder: A dwarf engraved and image of himself holding up a bed (the bed was just specified as "a bed", no material or name given). I may be wrong, but the holding up thingie is usually artifacts - so maybe I was getting an early warning about what that dwarf was up to (or he was simply happy that I used [NO_SLEEP] to save them from certain death :) :) :) :) ).

Does anyone have any hints on how to reduce savagery without making world generation fail? I wouldn't mind making it 0 if need be, although I am also fine with a reduced rate.

And I also tended to have a lot of aquifers in the worlds I have created thus far. Any advice on how to reduce them? (Okay, I am selfish, but I simply had to ask)

Deathworks
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7