Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure mode: Target BEFORE you attack, not vice versa  (Read 1005 times)

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure mode: Target BEFORE you attack, not vice versa
« on: July 14, 2008, 07:05:44 am »

I've been playing a rougelike recently that deals with the nuisance of choosing a target every time you attack rather nicely: by default you'll fire at the closest creature, but if you hit * you can cycle through targets, and once selected, a target stays selected until dead (or at least until not visible anymore).
In DF you might have to have a text list as well as graphically putting the selection marker above the target, since more than one creature can be in one square. Also, you could jump straight to the 'view creature' screen from that list so you can easily see which one you wounded, if need be.
Sounds awesome Y/N?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode: Target BEFORE you attack, not vice versa
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 09:02:47 am »

You're playing ADOM, aren't you? :D I absolutely love that game, too bad it hasn't been updated in forever though.

But yeah, that would be very handy.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:12:06 am »

Elona, actually...
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 12:00:03 pm »

I thought that's kind of how it already works...

I never have to select which target to hit with a cursor though. If you just try to move into their tile, instead of trying and failing to move, you'll just stab them. The only time you need to choose a target is when the game asks 'A. Goblin B.Human C.Elf' if you happen to have more than one enemy in a tile. And even after that, the game remembers what you chose.

So now I'm confused.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 12:17:37 pm »

Ranged attacks, not melee. Although it could affect melee too.
Currently you hit Fire or Throw, then select the grid square you want to aim at and hit enter to shoot/throw in that direction.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 12:21:41 pm »

Oh, I see. I guess I've never used archers or throwers much before.

Wait, I did have a good thrower, but then he lost an eye fighting a dragon and became a not-so-good thrower.

But now that I understand, yeah, it makes sense.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 02:03:28 am »

Tangent Get!

Elona, actually...

As have I.  I'm a 10th level pianist trying to not become famous and pay out the nose in taxes, while somehow managing to get my farm and museum up to snuff to actually make money off them.

I'm also diseased and mutated like CRAZY.