Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Persuasion Balance Ideas  (Read 1858 times)

kynalvarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Persuasion Balance Ideas
« on: July 14, 2008, 01:23:35 am »

In a number of other threads, people have commented on balance issues with persuasion. I thought it would be fun and helpful to discuss this and some of the ideas I have to balance it.

Observations on the current state of persuasion & recruitment through issues:
  • The number of people you can recruit during one expedition appears unlimited.
  • You get a bump to persuasion skill with every attempt, successful or not, no matter who you recruit.
  • It seems like you get to a point where you cannot fail a persuasion check, but you also cannot further influence someone in your favor until your juice goes up. (I'm not sure if this keys on juice, heart, int, charisma, something else, or some combo, but I certainly only see breakthroughs with these folks when I increase my persuader's liberal ranking thru gaining juice.) This means you can get a stack of uncommitted prospects who come back every day and give you a persuasion bump every time.
  • You can extract a significant stream of cash out of recruitment, with no danger.

To deal with the unlimited issue, I'd make it a matter of time constraint. You only get time to handle a certain number of meetings per day, so you have to make them count. Perhaps a semi-random range, something like 4-12 per day per person? Another idea would be to give you a clock with, say, 3 hours, and let you decide how much time to spend with each person who shows up - ignore, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour. When combined with the decision to spend money or not, this would allow you to focus your efforts on the desirable recruits. People who get blown off or for whom you run out of time, don't come back tomorrow.

Getting a bump every time also seems excessive. I'd suggest two possibilities here as well. One would be to make Persuasion like Security - after a while, simple door locks don't give any bump. Well, after a while, persuading Hippies shouldn't give any bump either. Easy marks should not challenging enough to gain skill, you have to try to persuade more resistant targets to keep advancing. The other possibility would be to have Persuasion only get bumped when you succeed in shifting someone's opinion of the LCS. This might make it really hard when you have no or low persuasion, so you could combine it with the first, say that you stop getting skill from neutral results at 1/3 to 1/2 of the cap for getting skill from a success. This would let you bootstrap low persuasion characters, but they wouldn't be able to max persuasion on a mob of Hippies and Crack Heads.

The third problem is that people who never get to "do something" but never get a failed persuasion roll, stick around until your persuader deliberately gets rid of them by hitting C or D, or until persuader is arrested/hospitalized/in hiding/away. This is too easy. There needs to be a "boredom/frustration" counter, where after a certain amount of tries, if you didn't get them all the way to "do something" or "fight for the Cause" they go away. Also, we could make it so that even the best persuader has a chance of failure no matter what, so that everyone who does not become recruitable will eventually be offended and leave.

The last problem I see is that a high Int, high Cha persuader can make a fortune just talking to people, risk-free. You roam around a safe area recruiting all non-conservatives, just hold down "B" after each "W" for a few days, then rake in the till. I see a couple of counters to this, as well. First, make persuasion a little less safe. There should be spies and infiltrators, just like in dating (maybe there are, already, but if so I haven't run into one yet.) Perhaps you should have critical failures, where someone doesn't just think you're insane and leave, but actually attempts violence, tries to rob you, tears up your books and props - costs you money and potentially injury. Another thing would be to make the recruit's financial resources run on an even sharper curve - easy marks don't have $150, or even $50 - your average hippie, teen, or crackhead only has $5 or $10 to spare.

If we wanted to get more ambitious, we could play some games with space or location. If you want a free location, make it harder to make a good impression when you're meeting in a homeless shelter - seriously, it's dirty, crowded, cheap, and full of homeless people, some of whom are crazy. This wouldn't bother easy recruits much, such as Hippies, Students, Teens, Crack Heads, Gang Members... but it would make a bad impression on the more desirable types, like Musicians, Artists, Teachers, Lawyers, Landlords, etc.

So you spend a few bucks to get a table at the local Latte bar - but now, you've got to buy a steady flow of drinks, or the Conservative manager throws you out. Make it a $5 minimum for each conversation and it adds up fast.

Ok, so now you have a safe house - what about investing in a meeting space? You can set up a simple meeting room at first, and work your way up to an impressive office with nice furniture, perfect for converting Liberal Judges and such.

Last thought for a long post - if you had a meeting hall, maybe you could give speeches or otherwise do a batch persuasion on a whole bunch of people at once?

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
Re: Persuasion Balance Ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 05:00:22 am »

I strongly disagree with your suggestions.  My current strategy for playing the game heavily depends on persuasion functioning the way it currently does, and if the game were changed to follow your suggestions, my strategy would be completely ruined.  I can easily recruit lots of people up to my recruitment cap, I can gain points in Persuasion skill very easily until it maxes out at my Charisma level, and I can get a whole lot of money by talking to like 100 people in one day and asking all of them for a contribution once they are determined to do something or ready to fight for the Liberal Cause.  This is very very nice because it is one of the few easy things about an otherwise hard game.  Your suggestions would make the game impossibly hard.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 05:32:33 am »

that is the point, L+, we want to make it so you could win the game, but only if you try really,really hard (you should have tried to win version 1.0, I'm not sure that you could just hold W and you'd win that, but you would if you had a dozen sleepers...). besides persuasion is far too exploitable right now...
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

kynalvarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 10:16:21 am »

My current strategy is similar, L+, and that's the problem - whenever a strategy game has an obvious optimax strategy, it's not as fun. I don't want to make Persuasion impossible, but I do want to see it brought back into balance with other strategies. It's way too easy to get every Liberal with decent Int/Cha you have up to max persuasion, and it takes less than a week! It's also just too much heat-free cash.

Besides, the game is supposed to be soul-crushingly hard! Do you think it's easy to change the world?

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 04:41:28 pm »

It's supposed to be soul-crushingly hard?  Heh, well it is if you do too much violent crime, unless you are really good at winning court cases, busting people out of lockup, or fighting your way out of a raid...  Anyway I still have a backup strategy, using Interrogation, which I am quite good at.  I can get sleepers pretty often with the new interrogation system, and when I don't, I have expendable new brainwashed pod people I can send on suicide missions with AK-47s killing cops.  But I really like raising money with Persuasion.  I suppose if that doesn't work in future versions, the whole liberating Garment Workers and having them make T-shirts strategy would do just as well... so that would also have to be changed if you want it to be hard to make money.  And there already is a recruitment cap for how many people you can recruit with Persuasion, so I don't really see what the problem is... you can get unlimited recruits through Interrogation but not thru Persuasion, and there are plenty of other ways to make lots of money.  You can make lots of money by Spraying Graffiti until you max out everyone's Art skill and then switching them all to Selling Art.  And that doesn't put you in much danger of long prison sentences.  There are lots of ways to make tons of money.  Illegal fundraising methods probably work even better.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 07:10:10 pm »

Besides, the game is supposed to be soul-crushingly hard! Do you think it's easy to change the world?

Funny.  The game I'm playing is full of political satire, not gritty realism (though it does have a fair dose of that in various ways).  What're you playing?  :P

Difficulty does not make a good game.  A good game is typically also a difficult one, but need not be so.  Compare Thief to IVAN.  One holds the title (in my mind) of Best Game Ever.  It's also fairly easy.  The other is all but a waste of time.  It happens to be soul-crushingly hard.  On the other hand, Medieval: Total War is, for me, extremely difficult (I can't fight worth a damn...  Seriously...), but it's still awesome.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 02:16:30 pm »

Difficulty does not make a good game.  A good game is typically also a difficult one, but need not be so.  Compare Thief to IVAN.

Oooooh, bad example. Thief is a FPS. IVAN is a Roguelike. LCS is a Roguelike, albeit an abnormal one. On average, Roguelikes tend to fall much farther towards the "soul-crushingly hard" end of the difficulty spectrum, and this tends to be an accepted (or even desired) characteristic...

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 04:20:06 pm »

Accepted by many (most?), desired by some, but not necessary.  :P

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 08:04:00 pm »

LCS is a Roguelike, albeit an abnormal one.
LCS is a turn-based strategy game (one of those about which you have long debates concerning the meaning of he word "simulation"). and yes, startegy games are ment to be hard (with the obvious exception of RTSes).
The game was infact intended as a joke (as most B12G games were, look in the curses arcade), but is now moving (in a "two steps forward, one step back" fassion) tawards realizm.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 11:10:15 pm »

It seems like you get to a point where you cannot fail a persuasion check, but you also cannot further influence someone in your favor until your juice goes up. (I'm not sure if this keys on juice, heart, int, charisma, something else, or some combo, but I certainly only see breakthroughs with these folks when I increase my persuader's liberal ranking thru gaining juice.) This means you can get a stack of uncommitted prospects who come back every day and give you a persuasion bump every time.

I think the reason you need to get more juice for these prospects to join is that their joining is based on persuasion, which is capped by your charisma attribute, which only goes up when your juice allows a higher title.  Look at your persuasion attribute, and if it says "?.99", with the "?" being whatever your persuasion reads in more basic form, then I'm correct.  The recruitment check may also be based on other stats, which I wouldn't know about.

So, if you want more recruits: BE MORE LIBERAL!  ;D

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 04:13:16 pm »

LCS is a turn-based strategy game (one of those about which you have long debates concerning the meaning of he word "simulation"). and yes, startegy games are ment to be hard (with the obvious exception of RTSes).

I stand by my semantic quibble. LCS is a Roguelike, for certain values of Rougelike. It's nothing resembling a classic Roguelike, but there are family resemblances. Being turn-based, ASCII(-ish), defaulting to a "permadeath" save format, topdown (where applicable), etc. It's as much a Roguelike as DF (as a whole, not just Adventure mode) is. But we're in the realm of semantic quibbling, so ignore or accept my argument freely.  ;)