Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An ambush! Drive them o-Oh they're friendly, nevermind  (Read 1540 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
An ambush! Drive them o-Oh they're friendly, nevermind
« on: July 14, 2008, 12:14:27 am »

So i reclaimed a site i had abandoned which had two hunters in it. So they were both happily bashing in groundhog skulls with their crossbows while i was there.

The funny thing is, whenever they came out of hiding to attack the animals, i would receive the ambush message, the game would pause and zoom over to where the hunters where. They never became hostile.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: An ambush! Drive them o-Oh they're friendly, nevermind
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 12:18:32 am »

Now the question is: Will they ambush invading enemies?
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 03:20:19 am »

This bit of awesomeness should answer that-

I had a fortress which for some reason had to be abandoned.  When I closed out, everything was dead except for a pack of 4-5 hunters. 

When I reclaimed, unlike other dwarves who just sit around, the hunters were still hunting.  Something would wander onto the map, and I would get a message about "the mountain goat has been struck down" and I'd scroll over and these hunters would be bludgeoning animals right and left.  Then they'd slip back into ambush-mode and disappear.  The only living things on my map that were safe were my own citizens . . . hoary marmots fell like dominoes . . . mountain goats were thrown bodily from cliffs . . . wolves and deer alike were chased down and ripped to shreds . . . eventually, when I got to goblin sieges, the hunters would simply decloak and mow through them like grass before vanishing again . . .

No idea what would be causing the ambush message though.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 04:46:13 am »

Damn, where does that come from ?

This sounds like the shire from Lord of the Rings .. :)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 09:13:15 am »

Wow, this sounds like the ultimate fortress-defense mechanism.

Train everyone in your first fortress up to a high level of hunterdom, abandon, and reclaim. BAM! Your own group of Dwarven Rangers.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:27:23 am »

This bit of awesomeness should answer that-

I had a fortress which for some reason had to be abandoned.  When I closed out, everything was dead except for a pack of 4-5 hunters. 

When I reclaimed, unlike other dwarves who just sit around, the hunters were still hunting.  Something would wander onto the map, and I would get a message about "the mountain goat has been struck down" and I'd scroll over and these hunters would be bludgeoning animals right and left.  Then they'd slip back into ambush-mode and disappear.  The only living things on my map that were safe were my own citizens . . . hoary marmots fell like dominoes . . . mountain goats were thrown bodily from cliffs . . . wolves and deer alike were chased down and ripped to shreds . . . eventually, when I got to goblin sieges, the hunters would simply decloak and mow through them like grass before vanishing again . . .

No idea what would be causing the ambush message though.

I think it had to do with the guys 'decloaking' right in front of my own guys.

And uh, oops. I accidentally posted this here, i meant for it to go into the dwarf mode discussion forum. So no actual question here. Heh.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.