Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will this work?  (Read 468 times)

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will this work?
« on: July 13, 2008, 07:48:02 pm »

Ok, here's what I think I'm going to build for my entranceway (roughly). Tell me why this won't work:

-------------GG-------------------
___F_..................................F__
-----\p______HH__________p/
--------------GG------------
____________F__|||

Where GG's are grates, and H's are hatches. p's are pressure plates set to activate if water depth is greater than 4/7, and attached to the hatches. F's are floodgated on a manual lever. -- is normal stone tile; _ is dug out floor; . . . is empty space I put in to make the diagram fit on the forum.

Idea being, water flows in from the ceiling grate and falls down, creating a waterfall across the entranceway. Everyone going in and out of the fortress goes down a little ramp, through the 4/7 water learning some swimming skill, and back up another little ramp on the other side. The pressure plates keep the depth at 4/7. If invaders threaten, I let them get into the entranceway, then throw the lever. The floodgates snap shut, and the chamber fills up two z-levels and drowns them.

Will this work? Thoughts? I'm a little concerned because I know there are some bugs with pressure plates and water depth, but I can't think of a better way to keep the water at 4/7 depth with a constant inflow from a waterfall.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will this work?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 07:51:02 pm »

Looks like a good plan! Remember that you'll want to be able to access the outlet drain, where the dead gobber's stuff will be.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: Will this work?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 08:12:46 pm »

You should put that in code so it's easier to read, though it's pretty clear as is, just for future reference I guess.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.