Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sparring Dwarfs Dropping Unmovable Clothes?  (Read 1545 times)

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring Dwarfs Dropping Unmovable Clothes?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 09:21:05 am »

Two things I'd try - first, set the wrestler to armor level clothing - you might want to place the dwarf on duty first or change weaponry to crossbows to prevent no-armor sparring.  Each time you cycle from plate to clothes there is a chance that dropped clothing will be picked up and worn.

If this doesn't work try stripping the dwarf of all jobs and de-activating.  That way all the dwarf has on its plate is eat, drink, sleep, and store owned item.  Note that this option is not available for highly skilled veterans (heroes/champions).
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 12:21:20 pm »

We should post up a petition in Suggestions that forbid and dump override ownership.  Those discarded clothes always kind of irritated me too

Two things I'd try - first, set the wrestler to armor level clothing - you might want to place the dwarf on duty first or change weaponry to crossbows to prevent no-armor sparring.  Each time you cycle from plate to clothes there is a chance that dropped clothing will be picked up and worn.

Yeah, say there are a couple mittens in your barracks.  If you determine the owner and set armor level to clothing they should put that item back on after they've shed their chain mail, etc.  However, as soon as you reset their armor to chain or plate, they'll very likely end up dropping that same piece somewhere else.

This is mostly an issue with shoes.  When a dwarf gets a new piece of clothing or dons armor, they just put it over whatever else they are wearing.  With the exception being shoes.  Dwarves take off their shoes to put on either a new pair or boots.  Mittens seem to be another such exception.  If your dwarf spawned wearing gloves and mittens, they'll shed the mittens when asked to wear gauntlets.

If this doesn't work try stripping the dwarf of all jobs and de-activating.  That way all the dwarf has on its plate is eat, drink, sleep, and store owned item.  Note that this option is not available for highly skilled veterans (heroes/champions).

Generates the same problem as above.  When dismissed from the military, your dwarf will put his mittens or Xalligator leather shoeX back on.  Which will be discarded again as soon as you draft him back into the military.  Also dwarf needs a bedroom (and preferably a cabinet) to get a Store Owned Item job

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 06:54:16 pm »

However, as soon as you reset their armor to chain or plate, they'll very likely end up dropping that same piece somewhere else.

Right - but hopefully somewhere else is in an armor stockpile, or at least not on top the forge or whatever square you wish to build on now. 
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 08:11:02 pm »

dwarves won't move owned clothing unless it's theirs, and once they drop it they won't move it.

I think the player should always be able to [d]ump items, regardless of if they're owned or not. Doing so should probably revoke ownership and generate a negative thought for the owner, proportional to the value of the item.

"He was upset about having a possession confiscated recently."
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 09:41:25 pm »

I think the player should always be able to [d]ump items, regardless of if they're owned or not. Doing so should probably revoke ownership and generate a negative thought for the owner, proportional to the value of the item.

"He was upset about having a possession confiscated recently."

While I agree, I think it should the strength of the thought should be determined by the percentage of owned wealth you dumped, plus some offset.

If you dump a worn, undecorated pig tail sock owned by some rich noble with nine thousand heavily decorated platinum goblets piled up in his room -- he should still be at least a little perturbed, being the greedy snot he is.  A pauper with only a single tattered shirt to his name may not go apeshit when you dump his shirt, but he should certainly be furious.
Pages: 1 [2]