Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sparring Dwarfs Dropping Unmovable Clothes?  (Read 1554 times)

Geek33

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Sparring Dwarfs Dropping Unmovable Clothes?
« on: July 13, 2008, 07:23:42 pm »

Every time I set my military dwarfs to spar, they end up dropping pits of their old clothes (socks, etc).

They have full sets of armor on, so I don't really mind they drop clothes, but I can't move them!

I can't dump them, they wont' put them in stockpiles, I even tried memory editing it away but I couldn't get it to work.

Now it's gotten to the point where my dwarves wont spar because of 'dangerous terrain'...do I have to make a new barracks every time a dwarf gets too many clothes knocked off him?

Geek33

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring Dwarfs Dropping Unmovable Clothes?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 08:37:51 pm »

Nobody knows how to move them?  ._  .

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 08:41:32 pm »

Just saw this now, but from what I know, dwarves won't move owned clothing unless it's theirs, and once they drop it they won't move it.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 08:43:20 pm »

This won't help now, but I believe this happens because wrestlers tear each other's clothes off. If you set them to spar with shields equipped they should shield bash each other instead and you won't get clothes on the floor.

Maybe try flooding the chamber with water, to push them all away?

Geek33

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 09:00:22 pm »

Just saw this now, but from what I know, dwarves won't move owned clothing unless it's theirs, and once they drop it they won't move it.

Damn. =(

This won't help now, but I believe this happens because wrestlers tear each other's clothes off. If you set them to spar with shields equipped they should shield bash each other instead and you won't get clothes on the floor.

Maybe try flooding the chamber with water, to push them all away?

Ooh that's probably it cause I didn't give them shields until just now. I'll try the water thing, but at least I know how to prevent it in the future.

Thanks everybody!

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 09:01:59 pm »

In the mean time, I recommend making a temporary barracks.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Geek33

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 09:04:23 pm »

In the mean time, I recommend making a temporary barracks.

Yeah I dig and smoothed em a new one. =) I'll try washing the old one out, but from now on they get shields nice and early!

Naked dwarves wrestling..my eyes!

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 09:29:09 pm »

I recommend a grate and a room under it first, or a hatch rather than a grate, just so that you don't end up with a permanently flooded room. With the hatch, make sure to have a lever setup first.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 09:33:42 pm »

Dwarves will move their dropped clothes, if they have a cabinet in which to put them.  Unfortunately, this means assigning each and every dwarf in question (but only once per couple) a room containing a cabinet.  Bit more work, but it does clean up the mess.   :)
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 10:13:45 pm »

Really? I've seen that once they DROP it, it's there for good.

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 10:27:44 pm »

Sometimes things that are marked for tasks never get moved again if the task gets cancelled (I've noticed this with wounded dwarves never getting hauled back to a rest bed especially).

With wounded dwarves if you build something on the spot where the dwarf is, the worker will move the wounded dwarf, and that will reset the task and someone will come get him again.  Dropped clothes may be in the same boat -- perhaps try building a bed or statue on that spot?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 10:33:17 pm »

Really? I've seen that once they DROP it, it's there for good.
Sometimes things that are marked for tasks never get moved again if the task gets cancelled (I've noticed this with wounded dwarves never getting hauled back to a rest bed especially).

With wounded dwarves if you build something on the spot where the dwarf is, the worker will move the wounded dwarf, and that will reset the task and someone will come get him again.  Dropped clothes may be in the same boat -- perhaps try building a bed or statue on that spot?

I haven't had a problem, but then I'm usually adding more constructions where they tend to drop clothes (or is it they drop clothes where I want to build?).  At any rate, it may have been resetting the task without my noticing.  They do eventually move the clothes if there's someplace to put them, that I'm pretty sure of.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 10:36:23 pm »

Whenever I try and build something on an item, no matter what it is, it can even be the material I'm using to make the thing, I get the damned message about urist canceling building thing x because something is in the way.

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 10:49:06 pm »

Whenever I try and build something on an item, no matter what it is, it can even be the material I'm using to make the thing, I get the damned message about urist canceling building thing x because something is in the way.

Yeah, I thought for a second after I made that post and realized it probably wouldn't work with items, for exactly that reason. But still might be worth a try.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 10:53:04 pm »

Really, that pisses me off more than not being able to build an upwards staircase on floors, or a wall on floors. JUST MOVE THAT DAMN SOCK! It's not even that heavy!
Pages: [1] 2