Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tuning down the damge on oddball weapon damage tokens? (and more)  (Read 1154 times)

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On a whim, I decided to make a rapier (Sword with pierce)... then I got bored, and added the COLD damage tag to a new sword I made.

Now, my first problem is that I'd like the sword to only be made from a particular material... but I can't quite figure out what that requires.

My second problem is that my adventurer started with this frost-knife. Which is obscenely overpowered as far as I can tell, shattering people in one or two hits.

I haven't tried burn/heat yet, but I imagine it's the same deal. (Flaming flail anyone? Exploding hammer?)

Anyway to tune down how much cold damage the sword deals? I imagine it's probably in a hit-chance/critical-chance token of some sort.

AND, last question, where would I have to place a new token (I'm thinking something along the lines of SHOCK) for damage/weapon-attack-type? It would probably have its own text-setup somewhere for combat reports?
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: Tuning down the damge on oddball weapon damage tokens? (and more)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 08:39:29 pm »

As far as I know, you can't specify a material.

The damage is determined by a number in the attack description, i.e. [DAMAGE:100:SLASH].  Just make the number lower, and you'll be able to chill your enemies without instantly shattering them.

I don't think the attack types are in the raws yet, though that would be awesome.  The special effects would probably be difficult to set up in an easily modified manner.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 02:18:34 am »

The attack type is determined by the damage type and there can be only 1 damage type for a weapon.
Also the only way to make a specific material item is to make a smelter reaction with it. Also if you removed the item from entity raws it won't be made of other materials/avaliable for adventurers on start.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deathbane

• Bay Watcher
  • Unus volatilis angelus, aeria gloriis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 04:37:24 am »

Also, if you want a particular weapon made out of a particular material, you can just specify a creature to drop it on death with everything required. This and some clever modding of body tokens got me to get the demons and most of my power creatures using weapons that the player can retrieve once they are killed.
Creator of the Chaos Reigns and Age of Heroes modifications.

Developer of the Adventurer Roleplaying game system, assistance required!

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46859.0

Nazush Ebsas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 05:20:02 am »

if a purring maggot can be milked and hauled, it might be possible to turn a vermin into a weapon with multiple tokens ;)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 06:09:55 am »

I don't get it. Do you mean you'll throw them as headcrabs in HL and they will attack with many specified attacks?
If it's the point, why "purring maggots" then? I'd prefer throwing demonic gophers :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 03:34:17 pm »

If the material you want to make it out of is a metal, don't forget to add the [DEEP] tag to it, else all the weapons you can embark with will be made of that material.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.