Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 40k  (Read 33499 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40k
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2008, 03:35:13 am »

Which is all beside the point that it's impossible to dissable the ability to make ammo out of wood and bone.  Or that it's impossible to change the math for how many shots are produced from one unit on material.  Or that you'd have a random chance of leaving individual lasgun shots laying around or stuck in your foes.

Obviously all of that applies to bullets as well, but DF was made for crossbows anyway.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2008, 06:04:10 pm »

I like the sci-fi setting of this mod, but I'm not up on all the Warhammer 40K lingo.  I was wondering if somebody could tell me what each weapon is in dwarf fortress termonology.  And if the weapons have any special attributes (like one of the swords hits for more damage vs the other hitting for more criticals), I'd be interested in that also.  I'm trying out a fortress to answer the question of dwarf fortress equivalence, so I'm mainly asking just in case the fort fails before I can report back.

By the way, great mod!

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2008, 08:50:44 am »

An "autogun" is the equivalent of an assault rifle today, only more futuristic and more efficient. It was the standard weapon of the Imperial Guard until the lasgun came along.

A lasgun is a laser rifle. It's reasonably accurate, almost never misfires, has enough power for sixty shots before a power cell change, and can blow off an unarmored human's limbs with a single shot. However, against armored foes it's sorely lacking.

A stubber is a heavy machine gun. Rarely, they CAN be man-portable, but most are mounted on vehicles.

Chain-axes and chain-swords are monomolecular-edged chainsaws in a certain shape that tear through flesh like a chainsaw, only weaponized and gyrostabilized so they're easier to swing than an ordinary old chainsaw.

As for the other melee weapons, I have no idea. :)
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

KFJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2008, 10:24:28 am »

The stubber comes in two types, heavy and normal, the heavy is bigger and badder than it's smaller brother.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2008, 12:59:15 pm »

Ah, my mistake then. So a regular stubber would be more like an M60 or M249 (medium and light modern machine guns) than an M2HB (heavy machine gun). The heavy stubber is the M2HB. :P
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2008, 01:27:38 am »

Thanks for explaining the ranged weapons.
I just figured out how to read the raw object files, and find out the specifics on the weapons.

I created a fortress simply to discover some facts about the weapons, but that purpose is gone.   :'(

Still, I found Iron!  ;D

Also, the ammo type for the stubber is incorrect.  In order to make it work, the type needs to be changed from "ARROW" to "BOLT" in the item_ammo file.

Commissar Internet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2008, 03:50:54 am »

Stubber is 40k for slugthrowing weapons that eject cartridges.  I imagine in this case, the Stubber is a pistol, if only so it gives something for Commissars to properly execute traitors with.  Autoguns and Autopistols use caseless ammunition, like the G11(H&K's attempt at a caseless bullpup assault rifle).  Autocannons are in 40k what they are now.  Bolters are Gyrojet weapons that can rip a man apart with explosives.  Lasguns go "PEWPEWPEW".  Hope this clears up some things.

Jakeypoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2008, 11:39:21 am »

If Necromunda is any indication, a human can lift and fire a heavy bolter without problems.  Most of the fluff describes bolts as essentially recoiless rockets - they buck and hose out shells because it's cooler that way. 

Nerd moment:
Actually, they pop out shells for a functional reason. You see, the bolt weapons were designed to be capable of being used in the vacuum of space, or, at least in unpressurized space hulks,  and in order to make a recoilless rocket, the "shell" part that pops off the back is a canister of compressed gas used to eject the "bolt" from the barrel before its rocket ignites. That way you don't light your magazine on fire, or have recoil or somthing.

Been trying this mod, unfortunately, it doesn't work right for me, it generates a world with humans/elves/goblins. Which seems a tad off.

Edit: alright, fixed that part, now some worlds crash on embark, luck of the draw if a world will be embark-able or not. Also, something is screwey with temperatures, I dumped some magma into water and got... Ice...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 12:41:20 pm by Jakeypoo »

Yngar the Wise

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2008, 02:10:21 am »

Normal people can use bolters, they can also get power armor (its just really expensive). They however cannot use the Adeptus Astartes bolters, or power armor, on account of those being made for an 8 foot tall super soldier.

GoreTaco

• Bay Watcher
  • Actually a brain in a jar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2008, 07:34:27 am »

Yeah, like scouts.

I also think you should make a Space Marine "race" and give it all the same sphere alignments etc. so they ally with the other Imperials.
"Who's John Galt?"

Commissar Internet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2008, 01:23:46 pm »

I'll be happy when Orks can reproduce.  I wanna make an Ork Fort

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2008, 03:04:07 pm »

Is there any way I could get this in a .zip format? My WinRAR demo expired on me and I don't feel like buying it, and all the freeware (read: the two that I bothered downloading) on the web has crapped out on me.

Lazureus

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfection is Flawed
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2008, 11:37:04 pm »

Is there any way I could get this in a .zip format? My WinRAR demo expired on me and I don't feel like buying it, and all the freeware (read: the two that I bothered downloading) on the web has crapped out on me.

Wait what? You know you can still use WinRAR when the demo expires right? Just press the red X on the purchase now screen and alls well.

I wanted to see how a Carnifex megabeast would do in this world. So I created a little addon. It is outfitted with Bioplasma(firebreath), crushing claws and scything talons.

Insert this into creature_standard.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and Insert this into body_default.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 11:10:36 am by Lazureus »
Current modding project:Tyranids 2010
Past modding projects:
DF2010: Crematorium
40d: ‼TYRANIDS‼
Quote from: Dark Pegasus
Just when I thought I couldn't despise him any more... He finds a whole new and undiscovered way!!

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2008, 06:57:52 pm »

Annoyance. The game crashes on embark every so often. Also, I find it rather odd that the races have to use the same old method of smelting stuff. It would be awesome if forges could be powered by, well, power. Waterwheels and windmills are good to start with, but you could also add in solar panels.

Lazureus

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfection is Flawed
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2008, 08:04:58 pm »

Annoyance. The game crashes on embark every so often. Also, I find it rather odd that the races have to use the same old method of smelting stuff. It would be awesome if forges could be powered by, well, power. Waterwheels and windmills are good to start with, but you could also add in solar panels.

Sadly that stuff cannot be edited via RAWs
Current modding project:Tyranids 2010
Past modding projects:
DF2010: Crematorium
40d: ‼TYRANIDS‼
Quote from: Dark Pegasus
Just when I thought I couldn't despise him any more... He finds a whole new and undiscovered way!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7