Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game.  (Read 30551 times)

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game.
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2008, 06:34:32 pm »

Loqoatl smiled on her Children as they gathered to hear her address.  Despite their hardships, they had managed to prevail above the terrain and even thrive in it.  "The stars have spoken Children, and what they revealed to me will bring about a great change for our people.  In order to better serve ourselves, we must divide by our skills.  Those who hunt and fight shall be the Fangs, the growers and gatherers shall be the Claws, and I shall be seated at the Head."  The Nahuantl below cheered at this, even without quite understanding it themselves at the moment.  "Those who are birthed will be divided into the castes as well, and apprenticed to the most experienced of you throughout their lives.  Soon, we shall be the most powerful of all the Nahuantl, but we shall not turn away those that wish to join us and accept me as their Spirit Mother."

[OOC:  2 more EP into farming, and 4 EP into caste systems.  The first steps to greater civilization are beginning, and along with what's going on there, a few Nahuantl have been sent out to gather more followers to assist the budding society, as well as to investigate the source of the glowing fungal spores.]
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 06:22:28 pm by Nonanonymous »

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2008, 07:11:33 pm »

With the great changes in the sky the Jhiar'd are now beginning their second phase of expansion into the unknown. Sending hundreds of warriors as scouts out into the wilderness. The word of a new source of heat, the volcano, comes as a shock to the bugs as they've never experienced this before. As inquisitive as they are they decided to see if they could exploit this source of heat. Accidentally some of the workers fall into the magma pit chirping and whistling in distress as they fall, they never return and this sparks fear within the colony, this force of nature that can kill without warning. Some bugs do manage to reach the lava pit and investigate it further without great losses but a better understanding is achieved. The local Heads are trying to understand this new amazing source of power and one self obsessed head suggests that bugs should be sacrificed in order to please it. The idea catches on, and even in this unsustainable environment they continue to offer bugs to the lava. Meanwhile at the home colonies the mothers and heads are preparing another fission which will result in a continued expansion.

My turn.
A new religion (Lava praising) is established with some moral codes.
Expansion into Q15 (our side of the mountain), O21 (The coast) Q21. 2000 bugs from the two 10000 population colonies.
Scouting of the coast on our side of the lake(river?) and R24.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2008, 08:26:39 pm »

BUMP! We will not fall off the "Various Nonsense" board!   >:(
There is one dwarf yet on this thread who still draws breath!

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:28:34 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2008, 05:27:10 am »

The Jhiar'd's new religion is still chaotic and divided between different beliefs.
One of them is the cult of Nevon, a cult of lava, curiousity and honesty. The few cult members that exist say they see an image in the lava of a strange creature, standing on two feet, covered in rough scales, with a long tail, it's head shaped as the small lizards that crawl around the land.
However, these cult members do not believe in bug sacrifice. They do, however, offer some of their spoils of hunting. Nevon is also seen as some sort of a patron of inventors.
It is yet to be seen if this religion will prosper, or if it will die out prematurely.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2008, 03:36:28 pm »

Yey! Cultural divisions!

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2008, 07:48:50 pm »

Bump.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2008, 07:55:43 pm »

Yeah, c'mon Fualkner.  I feel sorry for my frogs.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2008, 08:44:20 pm »

Hey Faulkner, i'd be perfectly willing to take over this game for you if you don't want to play anymore-assuming anyone else still wants to play?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2008, 12:11:07 am »

Hey Faulkner, i'd be perfectly willing to take over this game for you if you don't want to play anymore-assuming anyone else still wants to play?

I would still do some stuff, but yah, I have a workload now and updating this is getting difficult. I'm sorry for all the delays. Yes, you can take over, I'd still like to do some of the writing, perhaps play the deities. That way, when people start religions, they don't have to wait for other people to post that may not ever respond.

Thanks for taking over Dwarmin, if you give me population numbers, modifications to the map, etc. I'll edit them in.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2008, 03:45:55 am »

Well seems i'm taking over for now, so here are the results! Tell me if missed anything. Things i've marked with an * are problems that have to be dealt with in your next turn some way.

EDITEDITEDIT:Adding Dukes turn

EDITEDIT:Adding A1s turn ooops....

EDIT: Okay Faulkner told me to make bad rolls !!REALLY BAD!! and consistent across the board, So im upping Kadesh casualties. If your wondering why the Jhiar'd had such a hard time it's because im assuming that every additonal colony you attempt to make in a turn taxes you resources and man(?)power further and further-you can risk it but expect to face more harsh penalties for failure, and more rewards for success. I'll start the new turn in a couple hours, after the map and pop gets updated. Reserve your post so I know who's still playing...

1. Kadesh
Minor Migration D%=12
Travel takes its toll on the Kadesh as they make a gradual shift into new lands. Mostly the older and youngest fall behind and are consumed by new airborne predators that snatch them from the surface of the water or wait for them on land. These beasts are named the "Blur" for the speed at which they move. They are starting to swell in population as of late…all in all, the losses are significant, but in some cases viewed as beneficial in culling the weak. These encroaching beasts are viewed as a potential threat that must be dealt with if possible.
-1500 Population

*New Foe, "The Blur": These viscous beings are a distant offshoot of the Jhiar’d race, but no one seems to have told them that…they greatly outmatch an individual Kadesh in land combat with ability to move through the air at great speed and long slashing arms that can clove a warrior in two in a fraction of a second. Surprisingly, their colonies are built in the treetops instead of the ground, and are made of wood pulp. Their numbers are much fewer than the Kadesh and they seem less organized, though they will attack unceasingly anything that approaches their territories. Indeed the areas populated by the Blur quickly become barren of animal life, as every bit of biomass is consumed to feed the ever-expanding hives. They are entirely centered on the forest in G10 and will spread if not checked.

Spiritual D%=52
The new religious beliefs of the Kadesh are generally accepted among their population, though most ignore it for more physical matters.
+2 Spirituality

EP
Base: 7
New Foe: 1
Successful Migration: 1
=Total: 9

2. Nahuantl

Farming D%=93
The new farming techniques of the Nahuantl are immediately improved by the unification of labor. Several skilled Nahuantl can know call themselves farmers, and provide a small but stable bumper crop for their tribe.
+3 Farming

Caste Systems D%=95
Skilled diplomacy by Loqoatl results in widespread support amongst her people, and she is hailed as the first and greatest rule-maker for generations to come.
+5 Caste Systems

Follower Gathering D%=9
Despite the success in their own clan, many outsiders are extremely wary of such new ideas and turn away the warriors, or in some cases even attack them on sight. Counter attacks are quickly ordered, and battles tend to be short and bloody-casualties are taken but they win eventually. Instead of execution, most non-combatants are taking prisoner and forced to work. If there is an upside, the blood spilt has resulted in new tactics.
+1 to Tactics
-1000 Population

*Slaves: Though many higher ups of the Nahuantl refuse to admit it, the captured prisoners are being put into the most strenuous and back breaking of work against their will. The value of such workers is unquestionable, as it frees many others for more essential work, and even free time. But a subtle disquiet runs through the population, a moral schism that needs to be dealt with.

Exploration D%=16
The new landscape is quite dangerous, but deaths are inconsequential and a few new things are found including…

A) A blue and white spotted mushroom that is hollow on the inside and is hard as stone-a few Nahuantl suggest using it to fight with, as to deflect blows, but the warriors are reluctant to burden themselves with it

B) A Bright orange Lichen that causes madness in all who approach it. Those infected begin to weep hysterically and endlessly and lose all will to eat, drink or sleep and are usually killed in mercy.

C) A red mushroom that feels warm and fleshy to the touch-closer inspection revealed an odd insect that seems to live all throughout, and yet doesn’t damage the plant.in any way, instead protecting it from other bugs.

In other news...
*Contact: Scouts have located an odd insect race that has begun to busily tunnel into the hills on the opposite side of the mountains. There has been a few small skirmishes, but is seems to have quieted down for now..
-105 population

EP
Farming: 1
Caste System: 2
=Total: 10

3. Jhiar’d
New Religion D%=91
The lava praising quickly spreads throughout the colony and nearly thousands pf Jhiar’d quickly gather and volunteer to toss themselves into the magma. Foreseeing this the head bugs set up a daily allotment of sacrifices, and it’s not coincidently the more deranged and non-conformist that are sacrificed.
-100 Population
+3 Spirituality

Q15 Colony Expansion 1 D%=44
The colony arrives intact, but they soon realize strange creatures are watching them from the treetops-they are quickly chased off. Not too long afterwards, a few are caught and killed. Not long after that a small troop of bugs on patrol are ambushed and take heavy losses before retreating. Nevertheless, the colony is not slowed in any way-it takes a long time to chew through the tough bones of the mountain, but they eventually establish a bulwark against these strange creatures.
-450 populations, Colony Success

021 Colony Expansion 2 D%=63
Close proximity to the larger colonies assures the safe arrival of the settlers. They find a remarkably placid, if not so bountiful area. A strange type of beast stalks the water, snatching a few foolish workers, but that’s the limits of the danger, and the scouts had already warned them. They quickly establish a robust and peaceful colony-even the head bugs visit for rest and relaxation now and then.
Colony Success

Q21 Colony Expansion 3 D%=13
Expanding into the forests Southward, the Jhiar’d do not claim the land as easy as before-reinforcements and supplies are somewhat limited with all the other expansions going on. They find an odd land stripped of plant and animal life, with strange empty nests of wood pulp built into trees. Well mostly empty…a few dangerous mantis-like beings that can easily destroy a dozen Jhiar’d in single combat occasionally swarm from across the river and kidnap live and screaming Jhiar’d to a undoubtedly cruel fate. Even worse, the ground is muddy and moist and digging shelter is nearly impossible. They fight to maintain a toehold in the horrible land, but too many die due to sickness, disease and starvation and the monsters-they withdraw in shame back to their homes.
-1500 population, Colony Fails

Scouting D%=55
Long range dispatches of scouts along the shores and the distant lands reveals much. First that the rivers on the edge of their forests are quite calm, and are infested with strange snatching monsters that strike from the shore. Word spreads of the danger in the water, and few go without caution. The group that returns from R24 seemingly speaks in riddles-about plants that can move like living things, and how they avoided contact when approached. They are all summarily executed for such blatant fabrications, but privately some head bugs wonder…

EP
New Religion: 1
Successful Colonies: 2
Failed Colony:-1

4.Plantwe

Tool Making D%=80
The councilors arose from their lofty seats-before they even “spoke” out loud the scent of affirmation had already begun to spread through the chamber. Bigtwig was given the go ahead to procure more of these tools, and teach others how to gather and use them  The naturally inquisitive Plantwe quickly adapt-Bigtwig even figures that some can be used to kill and others can be made to build.
+3 Tool Making
+1 Weapons

Exploration D%=46
The 50 Plantwe sent to the far lands in search of the odd smell return with their numbers greatly reduced by predators, but the information they bring is vital. They tell of large creatures covered in fur and holding tools similar to what they have just developed. Apparently the mutants didn’t notice them, and they certainly didn’t show themselves. Oddest of all, the creatures didn’t make smells of communication and yet seemed intelligent as the Plantwe themselves. Of the strange things reported, they see nothing.
-40 Population

EP
Tool Making: 2

Shrike

River Adaptation D%=7
Precursory searches up the river are disastrous. Shrikes are slowly adapting to fresh water, but they are still sluggish and weak-easy prey for the more vicious predators, as well the occasional aggressive Kadesh hunting party. Your Shrike are also being harassed from the air by the “Blur” (See the Kadesh above for information)-they have little defense save for diving deeper into the water. And of course with the loss of valued warriors, comes the losses due to a lack of defense, as opportunistic aquatic predators prey on the defenseless young. Your dead are heavy, but you deep down the Shrike realize that staying down in the dark seas would have been far worse in the long run. Through pain comes strength, as always…the survivors are the ones that are most able to thrive in these new waters.

-5000 Population
+1 Freshwater Adaptation

Food gathering D%=23
The far southern group of Shrike manages to survive another year, though the population stands on a knives edge. They find a small reef that hides almost their number-a third volunteer to head back North with news rather than burden the colony with them. Though none say it out loud, many believe they will not make it. In the coming months, many more die before the population stabilizes out. These Shrike who survive are both hardy and nearly mad…now they fight for what’s left of themselves as well as their lives.

250 Shrike leave and attempt to find they’re way back North
Another 100 die from the difficult conditions

*Desperation: The remaining 400 Shrike are in dire straits-they contemplate involuntary cannibalism rather than losing their colony completely. Others disagree, saying that only if they begin to consume their brothers, they will be unworthy of surviving in the first place…
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 12:45:01 pm by Dwarmin »

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2008, 06:06:44 am »

Faulkner, you'll have to update the posts if you don't mind. I'm getting a bit lost with my races advancements and stuff. Any way to let dwarmin do this for you?

P.S Thanks Dwarmin, good to see this game back up and running.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 06:09:41 am by Nilocy »

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2008, 07:59:44 am »

Just a little question, how are dieties going to work? I've introduced mine now, but I'm unsure what I can and cannot post, ( that is, if i can post ).

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 01, 2008, 10:58:38 am »

For every X* number of followers, you get 1 deity point. Points do not stack. 1 Point is enough to give a race a +2 boost to learning anything within your domains.

3 is enough to boost population, 5 is enough to create a minor artifact. So on and so forth. Assume that you can kill 1000 of something with one deity point.

*Dwarmin may decide how many this is, and he is free to change these rules as he sees fit.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2008, 12:07:54 pm »

[reserved for turn]
//it would seem I didn't get EP last turn (or any rolls really, all my [very simple] actions had just enjoyed moderate sucess). I'll just assume I got 5. I'll develop movement by 1 more point (to 3), object manipulation by 2 (to 8) and 2 go into language (to 11)

"it was on the third growcycle of my life that I smelled the *sourFlowery* pollen of the west. My mentor, twigLeaf, claims that it is sent to us by the Notbirdsmell, and as a Smartstalk he probably knows. He Smellmade that we need to go find the source of the stuff, and that he chose me, and half a branch1 of others to do it. We leave at sunrise, I miss this land allready"
--from the diary of lightRoot the stemleader.

It was madness! It was offcourse true that the Plantwe weren't always kind to other plants, they could usurp water or light or fertilizer. That was ok. That was survival of the fittest. But this?! Bigtwig stood before the council with a branch torn off a nearby tree, with it he had already killed more birds than the rest of his hunting party and was trying to popularize his invention. and he wasn't even a talkSmarts! The councilors deliberated in subdued smells as he waited for his fate...

NON-RP: a group of 50 Plantwe from R-24 are going towards M23 to look for mutant mell.
also Planwee are on the verge of discovering tools, will they make it? won't they?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 01:17:25 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2008, 12:38:07 pm »

[RESERVED] Said the man with no face.

yeah ill post my turn here. Howl ong before the first 3 pages are updated?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10