Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: melting point of ores?  (Read 1045 times)

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
melting point of ores?
« on: July 12, 2008, 12:07:12 pm »

If you make a mechanism out of native aluminum or magnetite or native platinum or some other metal ore of a metal with a high melting point, will that mechanism be magma-safe, or is it solely bauxite mechanisms?

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: melting point of ores?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 01:10:26 pm »

Adamantium and bauxite mechanisms are magma safe though there are a lot more materials which will withstand the exposure to magma. But since mechanisms have to be constructed from rock there are only adamantium and bauxite.

See: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Magma_safe
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 01:12:37 pm by Yourself86 »

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 01:10:35 am »

Actually, you can make mechanisms out of adamantine metal, but this is the only metal with which you can make mechanisms.

You can (I believe) mod the raws to allow other types of metal by adding the [ANY_USE] tag to the metal you want to use (in the file Dwarf Fortress\raw\matgloss_metal.txt).

This may or may not require a new world (it shouldn't, but sometimes the option won't show up).
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 04:34:22 pm »

Adamantium and bauxite mechanisms are magma safe though there are a lot more materials which will withstand the exposure to magma. But since mechanisms have to be constructed from rock there are only adamantium and bauxite.

See: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Magma_safe

Native aluminum and native platinum are rocks for the perposes of making mechanisms but are realy lumps of metal found underground. Did Toady forget to set their melting points high enough?

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 05:19:49 pm »

Raw aluminum has a very low melting point, not sure about platinum. Aluminum certainly would not be good to mix with lava, considering how reactive it is. It would probably explode.

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 10:11:24 pm »

Native aluminum and native platinum are rocks for the perposes of making mechanisms but are realy lumps of metal found underground. Did Toady forget to set their melting points high enough?

Yeah, that's exactly why I asked. Presumably, the only major difference between "platinum' and "native platinum' is that the native platinum has been worked into bars. I did some research on google and all I could find out was that the most common native platinum ore is called "polyxene", which is apparently about 90% platinum, 8% iron, and 2 % trace minerals.