Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Immigrants wont move.  (Read 745 times)

Pauven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Immigrants wont move.
« on: July 12, 2008, 10:35:12 am »

Okay, so I was just supposed to have a wave of immigrants (containing both the Queen dressed as a peasant and the Dungeon Master).

The first guy to come out on the side of the map was a child. Then it stopped. He just stood on the edge, waiting. It's been something like a month now, and he still wont move.

(There IS a valid route to my fortress!)

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
Re: Immigrants wont move.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 10:44:39 am »

Sounds awfully bugged.  All your other migrants arrived fine?  Must've if you've got those nobles arriving.  So you got the arrival message, but only the child spawned and hasn't moved?  That sounds worth uploading the save so Toady can have look.

Once you've backed up that save, and you want to try fixing it yourself, hah first thing I'd try is to kill that child.  Smashy bridge oughta do the trick and won't break the pathing.  Probably won't fix it, but maybe its the child is causing the hold up.

Pauven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 10:50:54 am »

Okay, well I tried something more. I smoothed the tiles below the kid. He moved one tile up, and  the Dungeon Master arrived. He skipped off towards the fortress, then a swordsdwarf. The swordsdwarf doesnt want to move either.

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 10:54:14 am »

Make sure you've set a location for the new arrivals to head towards, by pressing "i" for zones, selecting an area and pressing "m" while it's highlighted to declare it as a meeting area.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 11:08:00 am »

For the sword dwarf, go into the military screen, view the guy's squad, and set it to off duty.  Then he'll wander into your fort normally.  Why the child is doing the same thing, while not being a military unit, is still strange, though.  It's almost as if he's acting like a military unit (soldier immigrants always do that until you set them to off duty), but there's no way to tell a child to become off duty; they're not on duty to begin with.

Pauven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 11:23:34 am »

There was a quite large meeting area around, and setting another did nothing.

Though when I set the swordsdwarf to off duty, he made for the barracks. The dwarves following him so far have all gone normally. But that kid is still being annoying.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 12:51:19 pm »

My guess, the problem lies with the child spawning first.  First thing that happened, the child looks for a parent to tag along behind before even looking for a meeting hall or another appropriate place to hang out.  Since the parent hasn't arrived yet, the parent lookup fails and never gets beyond that, leaving the child standing there.  And no one else can spawn in until he vacates that square.  Doesn't completely explain why the sworddwarf got stalled, but if one thing breaks something else is more likely to.

Pauven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 01:26:29 pm »

I managed to get everyone moving and inside.  The child wouldnt move. I waited untill spring, the Queen still hasnt arrived like she said she would, so I killed the child. Nothing.

(The child wasnt tagged as being part of my civ.)

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 01:34:54 pm »

Maybe the child was the Queen.

Seriously though, I believe the Queen (or King) thing is a bug, which is now fixed for the next release; it's listed under the date of 03/07/2008 in the development log, as follows:

fixed problem with the king coming early and not actually showing up

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 02:10:03 pm »

Check the childs relations, it might be the son or daughter of the Queen. I've had it where it said the King has arrived yet a child has shown up, I checked its relations and his father was the King.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 02:47:31 pm »

Nono, when the king/queen shows up dressed as a peasant the game yanks the first creature in the civilization--regardless of status--and makes them show up without actually letting them be king/queen.

Pauven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 05:05:16 pm »

I checked the top 3 names on the civ list, it wasnt right.

The childs relations thing is worrying me now.. Did I just kill the queen's kid? Oops..

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 05:56:16 pm »

Is it possible it was a macedwarf and not a child?

Just asking.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Pauven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 04:30:26 am »

100% certain it was a child.

Nazush Ebsas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 09:11:59 pm »

don't suppose you tried saving and loading the game to see if that kicked anything loose? Though i'd say Magnvox sounds right, i've known that process to help fix randomness in games before.

Not looked, but there may be a way to edit maturity ages so on a reload the game will reassess the child as an adult, then you could put it back to normal again.

Yes, that was idle speculation.