Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: dwarves getting tired of monotonous food  (Read 2897 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: dwarves getting tired of monotonous food
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 03:48:17 pm »

Aye, maybe I'll start picking a fisherdwarf on embark again.
From some point I stopped picking fisherdwarves and now I usually ignore fishing at all in my food chain.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

WingDing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 04:09:38 pm »

It's a good thing I grow every dwarven crop except plump helmets, although I worry if this feature turns to be a little too harsh (not intentionally), like your dwarves could just get tired of eating everything and jump off a bridge because they can't handle living in a world where they've tasted everything there is...

But I'm probably worrying for nothing, Toady isn't the kind to half-ass features like that.  :)

Then again, this wouldn't be the first time dwarves have killed themselves over (relatively) trivial matters like clothes and art.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 04:46:45 pm »

The problem with Fishing and Hunting on my part is I found out it is FAR too easy to destroy your food supply (making you entirely reliant on trade). How three Fisherdwarves managed to depopulate a river is beyond me, but it happened.

Anyhow I wonder if Dwarves can tell what a cooked food is made out of... So I wonder if you can just make Plump Roasts to toss out the mundanity of plump helmet

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 07:28:17 pm »

Right now they'll treat the foods they are tired of as if they are much further away, but they won't walk across the fortress to get a new food if an old one is really close by in comparison.

edit:  To clarify -- for foods they like, distance is divided by 2 and then 30 is subtracted.  For foods they are tired of, distance is multiplied by 4 and 100 is added.  So they will walk quite a way for novel foods, but if they are standing on top of an old food and the nearest new food is more than 100 away, they'll go for the old one, unless they like the new food, in which case they'll go up to 260.  Of course, all distances are just 3D manhattan distances, since it can't afford to do a corridor-based distance calc here.

edit 2:  Also, cooked foods are counted provided they are all made out of one ingredient.  If a food is made out of two or more different item types, the system stores it as "generic prepared food" which adds a buffer against boredom for a few years.  So you can't escape by using plump helmet roasts, but if you have two food items you can escape by preparing them.  In general, three types of food (without cooking) is enough -- dwarves will get sick of a food if they have to eat it five times within a few years provided they have only eaten two types of food.  They don't mind eating something five times provided they have eaten two other types of food or a two+ different item prepared meal within the last few years.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 07:44:09 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 07:34:51 pm »

Once again, that is some profound news.  I get the feeling that this little food pickyness is laying the ground work for huge changes in the way dwarves go about their lives.

Question for Toady - When a dwarf is choosing a meal to grab, are they able to tell the difference between (as used) plump helmets, plump helmet/dwarven wine biscuts, and dwarven wine/plump helmet biscuts?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 12:10:20 am »

Nice, I am really liking the sound of this change right about now. I generally buy all the meats and other food off the caravans to supplement my sweet pod farming, so I have some variety where foods are concerned. Now I actually have a reason for doing so!
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 12:12:56 am »

Is spiffy... I wonder if 'is tired of eating the same old food' thoughts stack every time they eat... Would make it more serious, but given the time between eating sessions for dwarves, not a fortbreaker.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2008, 12:52:48 am »

Hmm... I want to design a fort around having as many equally-spaced food stockpiles as possible, each with only one type of food a piece, and watch how the dwarves react.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2008, 01:20:14 am »

Time to install a complaint system.

Two levers.

First lever says: "Pull this if your unsatisfied with the choice of Drink"
*Dwarf walks in and pulls the lever, and is dropped into a pit of water*

Second lever says "pull this if your unsatisfied with your choice of food"
*Dwarf walks up, pulls lever, and falls into a pit of magma*
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 01:32:07 am »

I don't really see this changing my playstyle any.  I've always tried to start off with at least 3 types of seeds, and buy all the fish and meat I could get my hands on.  :)
Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet. 

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 02:11:50 am »

In ancient Sumeria (which Dwarf Fortress is obviously based off of), the common people had access to only two major food groups...

Namely, bread and onions.  All the exotic foods were sold to foreign merchants.  But hey, they had beer to make up for it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 03:51:54 pm »

I don't really see this changing my playstyle any.  I've always tried to start off with at least 3 types of seeds, and buy all the fish and meat I could get my hands on.  :)
It won't change your playstyle, but it will make it more reasonable.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 04:45:03 pm »

Of course, all distances are just 3D manhattan distances, since it can't afford to do a corridor-based distance calc here.
By this you mean it'll use the same distance calculation as is currently used when a dwarf looks for materials to use in a workshop task? If so, I can imagine a few new scenarios arising...

"I know they're currently 15 floors up top and all the other food is here, but by Armok I sure do love dwarven syrup roasts!"

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 05:05:11 pm »

Clever use of avatar/sig, MaxVance
Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2]