Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: dwarves getting tired of monotonous food  (Read 2899 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
dwarves getting tired of monotonous food
« on: July 12, 2008, 08:45:28 am »

"a minor yet fortress-spanning set of complaints."

I smell a gigantic waves of tantrums coming for us....
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dwarves getting tired of monotonous food
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 09:00:39 am »

Hopefully they will be too distracted by the "legendary" dining hall (a pit with some chairs and a table)
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Ubersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 09:24:30 am »

Awww, now we can't support an entire fort with a 5x5 field of plump helmets... Well, we can, but not without complaints.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 09:39:10 am »

Do the dwarves avoid picking the same food as well? Suppose we have two food stores. One is closer to the farms, the other to the trade depot. One only has plump helmets, the other has everything else.

Won't dwarves stationed closer to the first food store just eat plump helmets (and complain about it) while there's plenty of other stuff available?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 10:06:45 am »

A very serious consideration.  The answer is, of course they will.  They're dwarves, these dolts will tunnel into a flooded hallway and charge right into the headstream because dammit those stairs are closer.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 10:29:59 am »

Yeah, I think it's kind of fitting that they would eat from only the nearest pile and whine about it rather than trucking down the hall to get some stew.  Dwarven society is alot like human in that way. =->
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 11:00:38 am »

First dwarf that complains about eating the same food all day long will be force-fed different food until he chokes to death.  That'll show'em.
Shoes...

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 01:53:38 pm »

Something tells me that my current playing style won't need to change much. I usually just grow plump helmets and brew them, and then trade for a wide variety of meats and alcohol.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 01:56:15 pm »

I wonder if it would be possible to make dwarves get tired of eating dragon meat stew?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 02:17:37 pm »

I usually have a variety of food too.  I buy out all foods, drinks and seeds from the trade caravans.  As for domestically grown produce, once I have planting schedules set up in the first year that I build the farm plot, it's not a bother.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 02:18:29 pm »

Awww, now we can't support an entire fort with a 5x5 field of plump helmets... Well, we can, but not without complaints.

Yeah you can.  Just make half of them into alcohol.  Then alternate between plump helmets, plump helmet roasts, plump helmet and dwarven wine roasts, dwarven wine and plump helmet biscuits, plump helmet and dwarven wine biscuits... the possibilities are endless.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 02:35:06 pm »

Don't forget to cook in plump helmet spawn, once you've stockpiled enough!

EDIT: Eye kann spel

Mud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 02:46:58 pm »

So how exactly does this work? Will dwarves seek out different types of food, or will they get upset when the current food-selection system randomly(?) chooses the same food over and over?

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 03:25:13 pm »

So how exactly does this work? Will dwarves seek out different types of food, or will they get upset when the current food-selection system randomly(?) chooses the same food over and over?

I suppose the best solution will be simply ensuring you've got a wide variety of foods available, through trading, cooking and farming many crops instead of just one. If 80% of your meals come from raw plump helmets, your dwarves will likely to get bad thoughts from it.

Knowing dwarves, sure, it will still be possible some of them will get unhappy thoughts from eating the same randomly-chosen foods repeatedly; however, if it takes (for example) four consecutive meals before a dwarf becomes upset, and you have four crops in both cooked and uncooked varieties, the chances of any particular dwarf hitting the same meal are greatly reduced. Right now, farming is extremely easy; this is a relatively benign and reasonable attempt to start addressing the fact you can comfortably run a fort for years on a couple 5x5 plump helmet plots.
Derp.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 03:44:50 pm »

I'm sure that fish and plump helmets, plus whatever we loot from the elves will be alright with them.
Pages: [1] 2