Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: [Sucession Game] Angel of Wards  (Read 5683 times)

Wirewraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Sucession Game] Angel of Wards
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2008, 05:53:36 am »

Sorry for the delay. Some crap came up yesterday that I had to pay attention to. I'll try and get it finished for today, latest tomorrow (but with an update today).

Wirewraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2008, 09:22:44 am »

The following is a copy of the fortress log, as written by Wirewraith Koramost

2nd of Sandstone, 1053

I have arrived, to what specifically I have arrived to however is a matter for debate. Yesterday I walked into what I can honestly call a complete shambles of maze like rooms, random stockpiles of various goods in hallways and a great deal of unfinished constructions. The least of which being a half completed tower looming above the front entrance.

It seems though, that I am to be ruler of this place.

And there could not be more work needed to be done. I will expand on the front defences, given I could most likely spit from the outside and hit the trade outpost with ease. I'm thinking an expanded outside courtyard, complete with a moat of magma and drawbridge. The inside may be a mess, but from the outside passers-by will marvel at our well crafted fortifications!

I will also expand on various stockpiles, as I have noticed furniture litters the walkways around the bedrooms, I've been here for barely a day and I have already seen many a Dwarf vault over tables, chairs and buckets. This will not do.

Last but not least, a goblin tower stands forebodingly over our fortress somewhat to the south, blanketing our entrance with a vile shadow. I will immedietely devise a way to topple this abomination, much like previous rulers seem to have accomplished with similar towers.

All in all, this should prove...interesting.

8th of Sandstone, 1053

Oh look, another party, that's what, the second or third since I arrived?

Lazy Dwarves...

23rd Sandstone, 1053

I finally understand why the tower above our fortress has been incomplete for so long. Building it takes absolutely forever, not helped in the least bit by masons constantly finding better things to do. I shall have to sort out these Dwarves priorities, parties are all well and good but nothing seems to be getting done in time, not to mention the noise, I can hear it from my own bedroom and I'm nowhere near the dining hall!

10th Timber, 1053

Some migrants have arrived! At last, our defences can be built that much faster.

Our total number now is 68.

15th Timber, 1053

At last, the outer moat is completed and magma is slowly draining into it. Unfortunately given the layout the previous rulers chose, the tunnel connecting the moat to the magma is long. It will be many months before it is full. But when it is, I expect to wake up the smell of burning goblin every day.

20th Timber, 1053

I feel it is time to evaluate my progress thus far, at least to determine how much I can accomplish in my time here.

The outer defences are complete. The magma moat, while not yet full, surrounds our entrance like a warm embrace, finally the citizens can breathe easier knowing a goblin invasion is likely to meet their death in searing hot magma, a fitting end to their kind.

The tower above our fortress is finally completed, while I'm not completely sure what the previous ruler intended for it to accomplish, I imagine it would be rather useful to rain arrows down upon the enemy. Unfortunately, I soon realised that we do not in fact have any marksdwarves per se, only fledging wrestlers who think they can fire a crossbow. We'll see about that.

Many stockpiles have been expanded to encompass our growing amounts of goods, the majority of which being a giant load of mechanisms that the previous mechanic had managed to stuff into just one workshop! I'm not sure whether to congratulate his obvious skills at saving space, or to punish him for letting so many pile up without keeping me informed.

The goblin tower still stands, I havn't yet worked on destroying it, but I have decided on the use of cave ins to accomplish this. We will raze their tower to the ground! This is of course, after we wipe the puny inhabitants out first.

Finally, our food supplies seem to be rather low. I am not sure of the reason for this, as we have two farms constantly growing food, which should be nearly enough to feed everyone. I will however build another farm, just in case.

1st Moonstone, 1053

Work has began on the bedrooms for the new immigrants, and my bedroom, as I feel I need something a little more lavish...

10th Moonstone, 1053

Alas, the citizens have reported Ducim has begun acting strangely, flailing his arms about and walking around the fortress, as if looking for something. I feel I will need to keep a close eye on him.

11th Moonstone, 1053

One of the fortress guards suffocated today in his bed. I have no idea what could have caused this, but I am guessing it was a sparring incident that yet again, they failed to report to me.

In light of this, I have conducted an inspection of the military forces training in the barracks. Much to my disdain, it appears two are injured, you'd think they'd tell me these things. One has a spinal injury, rendering him useless save for a meatshield, and the other has a fairly bad wound to his left arm. I will do my best to heal him.

12th Moonstone, 1053

Ducim, the crazed bone carver, has taken over a craftdwarfs workshop and is constantly babbling about bones, of all things. I wonder if he'll accept the bones of the guard that suffocated yesterday...

13th Moonstone, 1053

Unfortunately, Ducim settled for dog bones to begin...whatever it is he wants to begin. Which reminds me, there is a veritable flood of puppies in this fort. I am fed up of tripping over them, so I think I shall kill them all, naturally.

17th Moonstone, 1053

Ducim has finally finished his work, and has produced a splendid dog bone bed. While uncomfortable, this masterpiece is a fitting piece of furniture for my new bedroom.

1st Opal, 1053

Another fortress guard has suffocated! This is starting to get on my nerves.

14th Opal, 1053

Huzzah, one of the soliders has become a mace lord. Soon our military might shall be a force to be reckoned with.

19th Opal, 1053

My grand bedroom is completed finally. After a small mix up with getting the lava moat to actually work. The result is it is now a fully furnished, central heated room.

Also, we are practically swimming in plump helmet now. Our food problems of before are over.

24th Opal, 1053

I have ordered every mason to smooth the entire fortress. I am bored of seeing rough walls.

2nd Obsidian, 1053

Catastrophe! My grand bedroom has flooded with magma, those incompetent miners...
Two Dwarves further died attempting to retrieve the expensive furniture, unfortunately the fools took out the tables and chairs first before the artifact bed, which was melted in the heat.
This will not deter me from my dreams of a grand bedroom however, I will have one!

(Out of roleplay: God DAMNIT. That was a silly mistake. Mined out the magma a z-level too high and tunneled it into a channel, as soon as the channel filled up, it started to overflow. Evidently the gods of Dwarf Fortress do not agree with my philosophy of grand bedrooms.)

------------------

Ok, I'll finish it off tomorrow or late tonight, for now however, BBQ!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2008, 09:41:09 am »

You blew it up!  Damn you!  Damn you all to hell!
I swear, all the attention I lavished on our grand hole-in-the-wall, and not two days later, a bone bed gets lost in a magma flood.

No seriously, sounds like you're having a great time.  Can't wait to see the new map.  I don't know what you mean by food shortage though - there's enough prepared meals to ride out the Apocolypse.  Which seems to be what those bums in the meeting hall think they're doing.  All day and all night, one founder after another draging half the fortress in to rock like there's no tomorrow.  I think the burning castle next door went to their heads.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Wirewraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2008, 09:49:29 am »

About the food thing, I just went off the status screen [z], it said we had about thirty of anything when I looked (I didn't really look for much though, practically all of 2 seconds before I decided more would be nice). Still, we now have far far more food then we will need (and far far far far more food by the time my turn ends).

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2008, 10:09:18 am »

Hahaha :P.

lol @ destroying artifact XD

Fun though is it ;D.

coelocanth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2008, 11:01:35 am »

great job giving the noble room magma plumbing, but remember to build the floodgate and lever first next time ;)

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2008, 08:42:57 pm »

I'm dying to get my hands on that saved game! I can't wait to see the fortress in the wake of this disaster.  ;D

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2008, 04:35:19 pm »

Bump

Wirewraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2008, 07:28:23 am »

Note: I am not dead, I am just busy. Sorry for the delay.

8th Obsidian, 1053

I have finally realized the real reason for my bedroom to erupt in flames. The Lord Armok is clearly displeased with our level of faith. We are not showing our utter devotion to him well enough, and because of this he is punishing our indulgence.

No longer I say! I will build a great shrine to honour our Lord! No more will he wonder if we serve him, no more will he punish us for it. I have ordered our miners to begin a multi-level cathedral to our great Lord. This time we will ensure the magma moat will be properly constructed.

I have decided that this will be the main focus of my time here. The goblin tower will have to wait, our Lord Armok cannot wait any longer.

14th Obsidian, 1053

It has become evident to me that the position of fortress guard is cursed. Recently the captain of the guard became bed-ridden, apparently he has injured his right arm, with no cause that I can see. I will not assign anymore people to be inujured by nothing, the fortress guard is dissolved.

25th Obsidian, 1053

Damnit, those idiot miners again foiled my plans. They cut into an aquifier without warning me and now the lower level is flooding. Either Armok is testing my sanity to it's limit, or he HATES me.

(Out of roleplay: I seriously got no warning message that there was damp stone. Wtf is up with this fortress....)

3rd Granite, 1054

With a new year, comes a new cathedral design. It is essentially the same as the previous one, except bigger, and will be sited in a place I'm sure there is no mysterious water.

9th Granite, 1054

Food stockpiles have been expanded to allow for the giant crap load of plump helmet we seem to have accumulated. I think I will cease production of this particular plant in the future, we now have enough to feed a fortress many times this one.

13th Granite, 1054

It seems silver walls a section of the cathedral, this will surely please Lord Armok.

15th Granite, 1054

Holy crap that's a lot of silver...

17th Granite, 1054

Goblins ambushed a mule today. I'm not sure what they intended to accomplish by this, but I sent out a squad to deal with them. Pesky goblins.

25th Granite, 1054

I have ordered the construction of silver statues with the new bars we have from the cathedral excavation. These will adorn the cathedral, as surely this was a gift from Armok himself.

26th Granite, 1054

Avuz has become a champion today, huzzah! He will be honoured greatly.

9th Slate, 1054

The first level of the cathedral was completed today, now only 3 more to go.

Also, Sibrek became a champion, it dawns on me that i have no idea how they become champions simply by sparring all day long...

17th Slate, 1054

Some migrants arrived today, including the new dungeon master. I am unsure as to whether he will be a blessing or a curse, I suspect the latter given my experience with nobles, at least if our brain-dead mayor is anything to go by.

Our numbers are now at 81, truly we are becoming a town rather then a village.

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2008, 10:29:58 pm »

*bump*

I still have a few game-months before my turn.

Wirewraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2008, 07:33:36 pm »

Apologies, but something has come up (well, has been coming up, to be strictly accurate, for a few days..). I'm going to have to end my turn early.

The save file is located here,
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=339

Good luck.

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2008, 08:46:25 pm »

Sorry to hear you weren't able to finish it out.  You can join back in this later if you have more time on your hands or just join another succession game.

I've uploaded the map at the end of his turn to the map viewer.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3133-angelofwards
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 09:02:49 pm by Rusty Mcloon »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2008, 09:12:28 pm »

Place is getting more insane by the turn.  And I wonder what's wrong with the maps.

Keep us updated Rusty.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2008, 09:53:52 pm »

22nd of Slate, 1054
The time has come! At last, I am called to be ruler over the settlement of Sedil Zalìs. The former leader, one with the otherworldly name Wirewraith, has relinquished his control of the fortress.  He remains there, mining away and keeping track of our stocks.  Right now, all three miners are in the middle of digging out a cathedral to Armok.  They are creating it in the midst of a vein of pure silver!  I think I shall put that silver to good use.  I hope Wirewraith will not protest too loudly if I cancel the cathedral to excavate the silver. I am not a superstitious dwarf, and our wealth means more to me than the glory of Armok.  But if I can get at most of the silver without disturbing the miners, all the better!

I’ve never seen so many engravers in my life!  And we have a bower!  A bower!  What are we doing?  Making arrows for the elves?  There are no elves near here.  I’m all in favor of them coming to town if they bring us some exotic tamed animals, but that is no possibility.

By the way, I have failed to mention one of the most important features of our fortress: the magma-filled goblin tower!  That makes me want to dance, my friend.  Ah, but there is still a larger, heavily fortified goblin tower off further from the fortress.  Your days are numbered, greenskins! 

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2008, 11:46:41 pm »

14th Felsite, 1054, Late Spring
In my earlier entry, I just jotted down some thoughts as I was just getting started.  Of course, the previous entry was my first official log as ruler over this fortress.  I actually arrived here on the 17th of Slate, under an assumed name and with documents informing Wirewraith that I was the Dungeon Master as appointed by the Mountainhomes.  I attended to my duties diligently, but I almost made sure to survey the fortress and gather all the information that would be useful to me as the new ruler.  I did not let on that I was the next appointed leader.  In fact, I was not even appointed to begin until Autumn, but with one wing flooded with magma and a lower level flooding with water, Wirewraith was clearly not ready to manage a fortress.  I said I was going to throw a party at the granite table, but really, it was a prearranged intervention.  Coelocanth was there by my side.  Wirewraith ultimately forfeited his control of the fortress, but we let him retain the title of Mayor, handle the bookkeeping, and do all the mining he wants.

As the new ruler, I will keep the title of Dungeon Master as I have grown quite fond of it, and as Dungeon Master, one of the first orders I gave was to stop construction of the ridiculous cathedral.  If Armok were pleased, would a lower passage in our fortress be submerged?  Next, I made an important executive decision.  Moral is extremely important, is it not?  I believe that moral has a trickle-down effect.  If the ruler is comfortable and happy, all the members of the fortress will drink of the ruler’s contentment.  So I created a luxurious throne room and bedroom suite for myself.  (I was getting all agitated without them.  I am a noble, after all!)  And—wouldn’t you know it—I found all these silver statues lying around!  They looked fabulous in my newly engraved suite, which I have dubbed, “The Hall of Mercy.” 

The horde of engravers did a smashing job!  Behind my throne there’s an engraving of an artifact: a boat carved out of gems!  And next to that is a wonderful engraving of valiant Coelocanth!

Now that the Hall is finished for the most part, I think we need to turn the army of Engravers into a real army.  We have goblins to fight!  But first, my beauty rest.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5