Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Parties  (Read 470 times)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Parties
« on: July 12, 2008, 07:22:06 am »

When 2 of my starting 7 recently got married, and actually held a party for a change (!), that the only people who turned up to the party were the starting 7 dwarves Humans actually, for a little change. Now, the only other people here are recent immigrants, who are all passing acquaintances of the starting 7.

This got me thinking: are party "invitations" an actual thing, or is this just a coincidence.
If they are, how does it work? word of mouth, (eg, if the host isn't friendly with someone, their friend can invite this person if they are friends).

If that didn't happen, i could imagine a nice use getting the fortress recluse to somehow hold all the parties :)
Anyone know anything more?
Magma is overrated.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Parties
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 07:53:56 am »

Why do you want a recluse? If you don't want parties, don't mark your dining rooms as meeting areas and avoid statue gardens, ->meeting area works just fine and it won't trigger parties at all.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 08:25:42 am »

I always figured they'd get their dining room bonus if they went to a meeting hall when they had no job, but weren't at a party, but they wouldn't get this if it was set as a meeting area ontop of a non meeting hall?
Magma is overrated.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 10:07:30 am »

They get their dining room bonus when they eat.  When you use the zone function to make a meeting hall, which you can do over top your dining room if you want, will give your dwarves a place to hang out like they love to do without triggering parties.  Placing some nice stuff in that zone, statues, glistening weapon traps, sarcophagi, will get your dwarves some positive admiration thoughts.

I think the way it works, one dwarf throws the party and instead of generating an invitation list only friends of the dwarf bother showing up.  Hah, and kinda contradictory to that I am pretty sure a friendless dwarf won't bother arranging a party.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 08:02:51 pm »

Well in my last fort there was this kid that LOVED to throw parties, and the first dwarf going to that party was usually his sibling, so i guess we can rule out its random.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.