Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barrel Hammer  (Read 843 times)

Pauven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Barrel Hammer
« on: July 12, 2008, 05:05:47 am »

Okay, so I was making silver weapons for my dwarves to spar with. I had noticed my hammerdwarf wasnt picking up his hammer from the stores. So I went to check up on him, and he was in the barracks, holding a barrel of wine (the alcohol stores are far from the barracks, and the barracks is totally out of the way, so I dont know why he had it).

This went on for a while, untill another dwarf came to spar with him. At that point he just dropped it and walked off to find his hammer. Is this normal?

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
Re: Barrel Hammer
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 11:25:32 am »

I've seen soldiers carry around a barrel after drinking from it.  Kind of a bug, but at least an infrequent one.  Not sure exactly what triggers it but was certainly what kept your barreldwarf from getting his hammer right away.

Streamline your sparring, give your soldiers a mess hall and officers club, assign some booze and meal stockpiles nearer their barracks.

Pauven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 01:28:04 pm »

I've seen soldiers carry around a barrel after drinking from it.  Kind of a bug, but at least an infrequent one.  Not sure exactly what triggers it but was certainly what kept your barreldwarf from getting his hammer right away.

Streamline your sparring, give your soldiers a mess hall and officers club, assign some booze and meal stockpiles nearer their barracks.

How exactly would I do this?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 02:49:06 pm »

You could try digging out some rooms, building a table and chair in one, designate it a dining room, then in the others put some food stockpiles.  That might work.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 04:29:19 pm »

Yeah, hah, don't take it so literal.  Soldiers don't bother with chairs and tables so an actual dining room is optional (other dwarves working in the area might take their meals there instead of the main dining room, could save time)  Any remote location I want food and drink nearby, I just make two small stockpiles (3x3 or so) one for only booze and the other for only prepared meals.  Then the trick comes in, use the <q> menu on your remote booze pile and use the <t> take from pile command to select your main booze storage.  Same for the food.  Replace prepared meals with meat or plump helmets or whatever you feed your guys.  Meals are great though because they come in stacks of up to 100 and don't leave behind any refuse.

Pauven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 05:03:35 pm »

Yeah, hah, don't take it so literal.  Soldiers don't bother with chairs and tables so an actual dining room is optional (other dwarves working in the area might take their meals there instead of the main dining room, could save time)  Any remote location I want food and drink nearby, I just make two small stockpiles (3x3 or so) one for only booze and the other for only prepared meals.  Then the trick comes in, use the <q> menu on your remote booze pile and use the <t> take from pile command to select your main booze storage.  Same for the food.  Replace prepared meals with meat or plump helmets or whatever you feed your guys.  Meals are great though because they come in stacks of up to 100 and don't leave behind any refuse.

Ah I see  thanks. I was afraid of my dwarves trudging through half of the fortress to eat the guard's meals.

Jades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jades.org
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 04:43:06 am »

I think that once a dwarf has finished drinking from the barrel, the game generates a task to store it in a relevent stockpile. Since soldiers don't haul, they won't do the job and therefore retain the barrel until they need the hand for something else. This might apply to nobles too.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 03:06:21 pm »

I recently had a similar thing happen, but with spare backpacks and undrafting as two dwarves were sparring.  They ended up carrying the damn packs around with them, refusing to work.  They could dump them, though, but they didn't do that until all other dumping and cleaning jobs were apparently done.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 03:31:02 pm »

Once, my sheriff decided in the middle of his drinking binge that some dwarf deserved punishment, so he walked up to the butcher's shop and beat the dwarf.

With a wine barrel.

There was blood everywhere, but the innocent butcher (stupid mandates!) survived.  This might be a bug, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.