Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does ice melting work?  (Read 810 times)

meeneque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does ice melting work?
« on: July 11, 2008, 05:21:45 pm »

I play DF for some time and finally decided to move to somewhat less comfy areas. I started on the map with a frozen brook. Following the wiki instructions I dug a tunnel one level below brook. Guess what? The ice isn't melting. Am i to prepare the tombs for my brave dwarves?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 05:35:50 pm by meeneque »

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does ice melting works?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 05:44:38 pm »

If you have a brook, the water is most likely liquid for some part of the year.  If it is still frozen through the summer, you have a problem (though not an insurmountable one), otherwise once it warms up your area under the brook should fill with water and any part not exposed to the air should stay liquid year round.

Your dwarves only drink water when a) they are injured and somebody brings them water in a bucket to drink, or b) when there is no alcohol to be found.  If you have soil on the map, you can build a farm right now, and then build a brewery and start making alcohol.  If you don't than you will have to get some water into an area where it can dry up and become mud, and then build a farm there.  Check the wiki on how to do that.  If you have no soil and you are frozen year round you will have to get creative.  But most likely with a brook, a) you have soil somewhere and b) the brook will probably thaw by mid-spring, summer at the latest.

meeneque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does ice melting work?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 06:04:30 pm »

Hi Quiller,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the map is frozen whole year. But it's not the point ;)

I'm concerned about whole ice melting thing. I noticed that even the ice that is in the contact with magma does not melt. Isn't it strange?

Or maybe it's the fault of my init file. I had the temperature set to NO while creating the world. I'm just not sure about it.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 06:07:12 pm »

Yep, there's your problem.  Setting temperature off makes magma effectively harmless.  Really, if there's no temperature, how is the ice supposed to melt?

Be careful turning it back on though.  If the ice is right in contact with the magma, then you're gonna get a lot of steam when physics starts working again.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

meeneque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 06:30:35 pm »

Well, turning temperature on, haven't changed a thing. Still a lot of ice in Mid-Summer :(

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 06:33:29 pm »

It hasn't noticed yet.  Fluids don't move unless they see a change... have someone channel next to the magma from the level above.

meeneque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 02:25:15 am »

No, even that does not work. Ice is not melting even when in touch with magma (new channel).

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 03:37:07 am »

Congratulations, you've hit Ice-9?

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 03:38:13 am »

Congratulations, you've hit Ice-9?

I almost said "like these dwarves need another way to commit suicide."

Then I realized that was heresy.
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 04:12:10 am »

Maybe you'll have to play through a season change (or two or three) to get another game-generated "change-of-state" signal?

ie. even though you've turned temp back on, none of the existing ice-tiles have been "reset" to normal values yet?

(Words, words, words... at least I know what I mean.   ::))
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

meeneque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 05:45:38 am »

Seasons passed and the lavaproof ice still exists. My dwarves drown their sorrows in the Longland beer. I also have one dwarf in the lava channel. I believe the thing is that creating the world without temp and weather makes it impossible to turn them back on later.