Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pumps how do they work?  (Read 717 times)

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
Pumps how do they work?
« on: July 11, 2008, 03:27:02 pm »

If I set a pump over an open space with water under it, does the water come up it? Does the water have to be at a certain depth before this happens?

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: Pumps how do they work?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 04:24:48 pm »

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Screw_pump

any depth will work, and it can't be directly under it, it needs to be one square away, directly adjacent to the side it's pumping from.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

adamantyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tilting at Windmills
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 04:43:39 pm »

Also, if you're looking to pump from a brook/river into a wall, you'll want to be sure that the front end of the pump is enclosed in stone; exposed even diagonally will lead to a big spill. Ironically, you can use a water wheel, assemblies, and axles to drive the screw pump with it's own water flow force. A nice way to run water channels to your fortress even from a distance!
The learned fool writes his nonsense in better languages than the unlearned; but still it is nonsense. - Poor Richard's Almanac

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 05:10:59 pm »

Aw, I thought somebody was asking about Archimedes Screw, and I could learn some.

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 08:46:52 pm »

Aw, I thought somebody was asking about Archimedes Screw, and I could learn some.

The Archimedes Screw: how Archimedes REALLY sunk the Roman ships at Syracuse, and where we get the phrase "Loose Lips Sink Ships."

...Ahem, sorry.
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

tigger89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 11:19:09 pm »

Any idea why my architects can design my screw pumps, but my masons won't build them?  They keep canceling it because of dangerous terrain.  My set up is:

-----
-.O_-
--X--
-----

- = wall
. = empty space, with a channel above it for the next pump in line
O = the square of the pump my dwarf stands on
_ = a channel to pump from, which will have water in it when I fill it up
X = my central stairwell, which the pumps are built around.

I had grand plans for a dwarf-powered waterfall(ie, a happiness-inducing, soldier-training device) through my entrance hall and meeting hall, but I can't get the pumps to be built.  The same error occurs on every level of my 4 z-level tall tower.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 12:33:14 am »

Any idea why my architects can design my screw pumps, but my masons won't build them?  They keep canceling it because of dangerous terrain.  My set up is:

-----
-.O_-
--X--
-----

- = wall
. = empty space, with a channel above it for the next pump in line
O = the square of the pump my dwarf stands on
_ = a channel to pump from, which will have water in it when I fill it up
X = my central stairwell, which the pumps are built around.

I had grand plans for a dwarf-powered waterfall(ie, a happiness-inducing, soldier-training device) through my entrance hall and meeting hall, but I can't get the pumps to be built.  The same error occurs on every level of my 4 z-level tall tower.
Perhaps I'm missing something, but you only have a 1-tile pump?

Pumps require 2 spaces to build and 4 (maybe 3, not sure if you can put a pump against a wall and pump diagonally) spaces to run.  One space to pump from, the two spaces for the pump and a space to pump to.  The wiki really has an excellent picture of what a pump does.
Code: [Select]
####.#
#_->.#
#_.###
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

tigger89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 12:41:44 am »

Oh, I've got it now.  For some reason I'd mentally compressed those two tiles into one.  Well that sucks. :(
Next fort, I guess.

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 09:46:01 am »

Yeah I see my problem too, just gonna reconstuct the pumps and floor arrangement