Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arghh.. stop going outside!!  (Read 903 times)

Stopple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Arghh.. stop going outside!!
« on: July 11, 2008, 02:12:26 pm »

I have the following options set:

Soldiers Can Go Outdoors
Dwarves Ignore Bodies

but yet STREAMS of my worker dwarves are attempting to go outside with jobs of "Place Item in Tomb"

As soon as they go outside, it cancels with "Forbidden area" but by that time, they already went outside and got raped by the siege of orcs camping my staircase.

What am I doing wrong??

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Arghh.. stop going outside!!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 02:15:50 pm »

Do they have Burial off? Do you forbid items from dead?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 02:17:18 pm »

You're not doing anything wrong persé (it just naturally happens to dwarves due to not optimal AI, i think), there are just a few tips wich may help to prevent this being very detrimental to your fortress (don't really know many myself though, apart from the basic defenses)
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Stopple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 02:18:16 pm »

Why on earth would burial have to be turned off on all 100+ dwarves?  What is the point of having toggles like "Dwarves cant go outside" if they ignore it until they are actually outside?

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 02:21:04 pm »

Again, theres no gameplay reason why they do that, its not intended to work like that, it just does cause its not really optimized. (i guess AI remembers to not go outside whenever they are in the process of going outside, and thus dance around the door to the outside)
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 03:16:16 pm »

Yes, AI doesn't check if the job's outdoors, just if the dwarf is. So they take a few steps before they notice and then go back in. And repeat.
You'll have to wait for the Burrows Arc which'll give more power for telling dwarves where they should be.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 10:03:09 pm »

Just forbid the area behind the door and they will cease going outside but productivity will be down about 100%

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 02:03:46 am »

Get rid of graveyards, refuse piles, and available graves. It's a bit excessive, but if you get rid of the stockpiles they're trying to put stuff into, then they won't do it.

Also, create an 'outdoor barrier' by channeling out a trench above your entrance hallway and exposing it to the outside from above. When they are forbidden to go outside, they won't pass that point, and hopefully it'll be well short of the goblin rapezone.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 02:06:28 am by Stromko »

galmud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 08:41:19 am »

Annoying as hell. Its a hassle keeping ur dwarves inside and away from battle and harms way. The only sure way I guess is constantly forbidding areas where the dead fall and lock all outside doors

I'm hoping this soon be fixed so all outside jobs is automatically forbidden or canceled, whenever "Dwarves stay inside" is in place