Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garbage Dumps, what am I doing wrong here?  (Read 505 times)

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
Garbage Dumps, what am I doing wrong here?
« on: July 11, 2008, 01:19:45 pm »

I seem to have issues with creating garbage dump/pits. While refuse piles work fine, I prefer to have things thrown off a cliff or into a pit, but it only seems to work some of the time. Sometimes my dwarves will go along fine dumping trash and anything I designate, then will all of a sudden stop using it. There are other times when I can designate an area and the dwarves wont touch it at all...
Am I just not doing it right?
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Garbage Dumps, what am I doing wrong here?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 02:25:48 pm »

Dumping is a low priority task, so whenever a dwarf doesn't have much or anything to do they will take up dumping items. You could make some few dedicated dumpers with all hauling jobs disabled (apart from refuse, i think, need verification), also remember to turn "dwarves gather refuse from outside" on in the refuse submenu under the "o" menu, else dwaves won't touch items marked for dumping wich lay on the outside, i think.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
Re: Garbage Dumps, what am I doing wrong here?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 02:26:32 pm »

Be sure to familiarize your self with the refuse orders ... err, <o>rders; <r>efuse I think.  You can toggle what you want to save or automatically dump, <Dump other> governs the dumping of remains and chunks and other refuse.  Make a stockpile for your other refuse, one of bones and shells indoors and another for corpses and body parts somewhere outside.  Since you have been successful setting up your garbage dump zone, I figure getting into the orders menu will help you set up some more automation.