Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Old Computers  (Read 1478 times)

Hanuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Old Computers
« on: July 11, 2008, 01:17:16 am »

I have a pretty old computer that is being cleaned up at the moment. I plan to install DF on it once it is fixed.

It is a 1500MHz Pentium 4, 768MB DRAM and a 128MB ATI Radeon 9250.

Does anyone else have a similar set up? If so how does DF run on your machine? 

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Old Computers
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 02:58:58 am »

I ran DF on a P3 800Mhz machine (to test if there was a problem with seeds used on different OSes. There was not.) It was incredibly slow, even with sound and all features disabled and an extremely reduced init.txt framerate so I could actually see updates happen. A lot of this was probably caused by lousy opengl drivers.

LN
"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Hanuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 03:09:51 am »

Well my graphics card is pretty decent and I have updated drivers for it so hopefully it won't be super slow. The computer I am on now has a 1.7GHz Celeron with a piece of crap on board Intel video card. Last time I tried running DF on this one it was getting between 10 and 30 fps I believe.

I also have a spare 1.8GHz Celeron processor that I am thinking of slapping into my computer's motherboard in place of the P4. I don't know if that would make any big difference in performance or not though.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 09:48:19 pm by Hanuman »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 07:57:04 am »

I played DF on an AMD Athlon 1500+ @ 1.3GHz with 512 Mb RAM and 128Mb ATI Radeon 9250 graphics card, and I had consistent 25FPS at a default embark area size and 30-ish dwarves. The speed of the game was just right for me.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 08:12:39 am »

Lets see...

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1.50 GHz with 224 Mb RAM. I get around 30 FPS in a 4x4 start area.

No Graphics Card. If this thing has one, it isn't specified. Yes, I think it was bought in 1995 or earlier.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Hanuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 08:59:57 am »

Lets see...

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1.50 GHz with 224 Mb RAM. I get around 30 FPS in a 4x4 start area.

No Graphics Card. If this thing has one, it isn't specified. Yes, I think it was bought in 1995 or earlier.

Only 224MB of RAM? According to the DF web site it claims you need 512MB, minimum. Well, now we know better.

I really appreciate all the feedback on this topic so far. Thank you, everyone.

Keep it coming, this could be a handy reference for people that want to know if it will run on their machine.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 09:04:04 am by Hanuman »

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 09:14:11 am »

My laptop is only slightly better than your compy (1600MHz Pent4, 1gig DRAM, 64mb Geforce4 440 Go) and I tend to leave all the features on (temperatuer, weather, the works). I use pocket worlds and 2x2 embarks, and get >80fps at embark and the game stays playable up till ~50 dwarves.

Mookie Love

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 12:34:36 pm »

2.00 GHz Celeron with 0.99 GB of RAM
Graphics card is 128 MB.

3x3 starts at 150+FPS (my maximum, any faster and I can't keep up), but I'm at 70-some dwarves now along with probably a literal ton of dogs, and it's hovering around 80, 70 or 60 if I'm doing something big with liquids.

Hanuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 01:36:13 pm »

2.00 GHz Celeron with 0.99 GB of RAM
Graphics card is 128 MB.

3x3 starts at 150+FPS (my maximum, any faster and I can't keep up), but I'm at 70-some dwarves now along with probably a literal ton of dogs, and it's hovering around 80, 70 or 60 if I'm doing something big with liquids.

Very cool. That's encouraging to hear how well it runs on that rig. I am definitely going to swap out my P4 chip for my Celeron; Just to get that little extra boost of performance.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 09:49:23 pm by Hanuman »

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 01:57:35 pm »

My current computer is a Toshiba Satellite (A205?) laptop, dual-core pentium at 1.6ghz/core, and 2GB of RAM (running vista, so more like <1024mb) and a crappy Intel graphics chip. Strangely, I can't even get above 30 FPS on the title screen. In-game embark at around 4x4 is about 30FPS too. It never breaks that, even when paused, which is really strange to me. Ah, wait, nevermind. On the title-screen, if I hit escape, *that* menu is at 100FPS (the cap.)

My previous computer was a mess. 1.4 ghz Intel Pentium 4, 512MB PC133 SDRam, and a GeForce FX 5500. It got a generally decent frame-rate until the dwarves started coming in; I can't remember the exact numbers since I used that one on a prior version. It was "playable" to some extent, and very playable before the large, 3D-enhanced release.

EDIT: Sorry. Assume for both of these, that everything is on except weather.

Markham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.boogatech.com
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 03:14:11 pm »

I guess my computer is "old" since the processor type is no longer available at stores, and the last major upgrade was in 2005.  It's a 2.04ghz socket 939 Athalon 64 X2.  If anything, I'll just get the fastest CPU for the board off eBay.  That should give it at least another three years before I have to do another major upgrade.

Lets see...

That can't possibly be a 1995 computer.  The average processor in 1995 wasn't even 1/10 the speed of what you have in there.

Hanuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 04:37:18 pm »

I guess my computer is "old" since the processor type is no longer available at stores, and the last major upgrade was in 2005.  It's a 2.04ghz socket 939 Athalon 64 X2.  If anything, I'll just get the fastest CPU for the board off eBay.  That should give it at least another three years before I have to do another major upgrade.

Lets see...

That can't possibly be a 1995 computer.  The average processor in 1995 wasn't even 1/10 the speed of what you have in there.

I was just assuming that they meant to say 2005.

evan_aavso

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 07:25:45 pm »

I use old machines sometimes to crunch number on full CPU usage, happens to be so that my friends pc is running at a constant 80% cpu usage, and i can still play DF on it.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 09:30:08 pm »

I am definitely going to swap out my P4 chip for my Celron

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, though, don't. 1.7GHz P4 > 1.8GHz Celeron. Celerons are faulty Pentiums that Intel decided to make a little more money out of by selling them cheap. Which is why everyone in the industry is glad the Celeron finally died.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 09:41:57 pm »

Well, my computer IS old. I think that, to take a realistic standpoint, it was around the year 2000 at least. I also have a laptop with a busted screen(I use an old monitor that's the size of four watermelons), heat issues and complete control over the internet of the apartment. If it is off, the internet goes insane. Oddly enough.

HP Notebook
 Intel Celeron cpu
 1.20 GHz @ 240 MBs of RAM.

It takes a few minutes for the laptop to randomly crash after DF starts to run, but the FPS is around the same as the PC.

And I must agree with Makrond, this laptop sucks. I don't know much about the inner workings of computers(Nor the modern standards as they change), but I know enough to see what programs are out-of-reach of these things.

While DF is playable on these computers, I must warn you that you will never break 60 fps. Ever. Even a flat featureless 2x2 area will not grant you this.

Actually, I need to test this. Could be interesting.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: [1] 2