Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why can't I grow sun berries?  (Read 2881 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why can't I grow sun berries?
« on: July 11, 2008, 01:09:16 am »

I'm in an area that doesn't freeze, I have an outdoor farm plot built, and I have a bunch of seeds in stock that aren't forbidden or anything, and yet the plot won't give me the option to plant sun berries. Any idea what could be going on here?

Truec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't I grow sun berries?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 01:15:11 am »

The Wiki says that they only grow in good-aligned areas.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 01:16:27 am »

Damn. I thought that was just for gathering in the first place, not for farming. Wonder if I could remove it in the raws.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 01:27:53 am »

I'm pretty sure if you build a greenhouse, you can grow anything that's aboveground. At the very least, I've never had trouble growing sunberries in neutral areas after doing this.

Just build a stone (or glass if you really want to, it makes no diff.) floor etc a z-level or two above your farm area, which will result in the area being inside and light. You should then be able to grow em.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 01:38:16 am »

I know they're only supposed to grow in good-aligned areas, but I remember growing them in my first fort of the new version.  I imported them from the elves, stuck them in a field, and started my very own sunshine operation.  And I was in a neutral area, not good-aligned.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 07:52:51 am »

I've got a sun berry plot in my current fort. IIRC I settled between a sinister and a savage biome. I'm 98% certain that the plot is in the savage one. Maybe sun berries just have to be planted in any non-evil area?
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 01:19:49 pm »

Sun Berry: Not Freezing (Wet) (Good)
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Crops

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 08:22:49 pm »

sun berries will grow in other areas then good aligned, the biome tags are only for where it is naturally found. I've grown them in evil biomes just fine, for example.

I don't know why yours won't grow, can you plant other crops? I think some biomes (mountains, maybe others) can't grow any above ground crops at all so if you can't grow anything that might be the problem.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 09:38:06 pm »

-- This is a useless post, and I wish there was a delete option --

Logical2u, dabbling reader...
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 12:18:29 am »

Wait, are you trying to grow on muddy rock? I think i read somewhere that outdoor rock tiles don't make mud. Or something like that. Just a stab in the dark really.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 01:38:20 am »

Yes, rocky outside areas won't let you grow crops on them even after you muddy them. Outside farm plots need to be on soil or grass. A greenhouse (or just any roofed outside structure that will cause it to be Indoors but Light) may allow it to grow anyway, I'm not sure personally.

If you're seeing the option to plant rope reed or strawberries, outdoor plants in general, then it should allow sun berries too.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 07:42:41 pm »

Yes, rocky outside areas won't let you grow crops on them even after you muddy them. Outside farm plots need to be on soil or grass. A greenhouse (or just any roofed outside structure that will cause it to be Indoors but Light) may allow it to grow anyway, I'm not sure personally.

Sorry, this is incorrect. Muddying tiles outdoors will allow you to grow outdoor crops on those tiles. However, biomes are a factor in what crops can be grown.

If a plant is designated as [BIOME:TROPICAL_FOREST] then the plant may be grown in a tropical forest. Crops cannot be grown in areas that do not support them. Inconsistencies can occur. For example, the MOUNTAIN biome is a special one and [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING] does not cover the mountain biome.

Alignment tags are strange. They are not biomes in and of themselves, but rather they are the results of animals existing in a given biome. An area that is populated with [GOOD] flora and fauna will become a good biome.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 03:11:06 am »

Then the mountain biome I'm working with must not support any type of plant whatsoever. I don't believe it's the temperature, the huge white sand areas in the northwest and the grassy areas of the map (with a few spots of red sand) will grow any outdoor plant, but the muddied siltstone rock will not grow any type of plant. It says no seeds available. I've determined that a roof doesn't help anything grow in that area also.

In worlds where I've been able to acquire sun berries from the elven traders, I've never had trouble planting sun berries, and I'm currently planting whip vines (from elven traders) which according to the raws come from Savage, Dry areas. I can still plant them in any naturally-occuring (outside) soil on my map, though I live in Calm surroundings and based on the brook and the multiple swamps I don't think it's Dry. It's neither Savage nor Dry therefore.

On the off chance that the mountain is a freezing biome its surroundings to the southeast and the northwest are not, then that would explain the difference too. Certainly all the plants as far as a cursory check shows are set 'not freezing', so indeed nothing would grow in a freezing biome if that's to be believed. But my point remains that Whip Vines say they appear in Savage, Dry biomes and yet I'm able to plant them in Calm, seemingly lush surroundings.

Therefore, most maps with natural soil should be able to grow sun berries, assuming that the rules are consistent.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 03:14:10 am by Stromko »

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 04:54:59 pm »

You sound experienced enough, but just for thoroughness' sake, is it too late in the season?  Are the plants showing up in the plot plant list but are redded out?  Or not showing up at all?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 11:05:05 pm »

^No, they aren't on the list at all. I do have the feeling that it's just some idiotic mistake like that that I'm overlooking, but so far I can't see what.

For, er, science's sake (not because I wanted to cheat or anything) I tried changing their biome tags to the same as prickle berries: dry, not freezing, no alignment (I'm under the impression that this is a small enough mod to not need a new worldgen; am I wrong?)--but no luck. Still don't show up on the list. The only thing I can think of at this point is that they're in a bag that's in a barrel with a bunch of other types of seeds--maybe that's confusing things somehow? I tried dumping and reclaiming the barrel because, well, why not? but that didn't work either. Is there a way to remove a bag from a barrel?
Pages: [1] 2