Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tantrums  (Read 787 times)

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
Tantrums
« on: July 10, 2008, 05:53:53 pm »

How can you handle tantrums? I had a fort with 60 dwarves that was destroyed by tantrums... My mayor/legendary miner killed 20 dwarves by herself before being put down. Those deaths caused many more tantrums. My surviving 10 were all killed in a ambush. The ambush was killed by the leaving caravans. My last dwarf was a child. He was killed by a carp.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tantrums
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 06:41:46 pm »

Apparently having a really nice dining room, with lots of nice engravings, statues, masterpiece tables and chairs, etc, will help curb the tantrum spiral. Also, it seems that having more, larger meeting areas forces dwarves not to be in contact constantly, which will slow down friendship building and help a bit. A proper jail with plenty of cages and chains, along with a good fortress guard can help, too. Other than that, there's not much you can do but sit by and wait it out. There are usually at least a few survivors. Even if they're crawling around babbling, you can get some migrants and start anew.

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 07:00:17 pm »

That fort was my first one where I didn't love my dwarves. They had no rooms, dining areas, or anything. Everyone was doing a job or hauling. The fort's theme was Control over the Environment. The beach wasn't allowed to have waves. A wall took care of the splash. Rain was taken care of by a large ceiling. I had control over everything. Except my dwarves' feelings. I had a huge suicide tower. 50z's from the topmost z to the very bottom. All the dwarf had to do is pull a lever.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Dr. Von Uristein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 08:46:06 pm »

I just had 30+ dwarves smeared all over my fortress by a bronze colossus.  A few dwarves tantrumed, but they all cooled off pretty quick.  I suspect it was due to the high living standards my dwarves enjoy:  Lot's of masterwork engravings, legendary dining room, legendary statue garden, grand master cook, grand master brewer, constant parties.  Nearly all of my dwarves were ecstatic prior to the carnage. 

I'd be currious to see what happens to a tantrumming dwarf that runs through a cloud of mist or two.
It puts the golden salve on it's skin...

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 08:59:12 pm »

I've seen a tantruming mason hit a statue garden and stop cold.

Though it was an artifact statue: presumably that helped, too