Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [38c] Artifact gauntlets always right-handed.  (Read 2870 times)

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[38c] Artifact gauntlets always right-handed.
« on: July 10, 2008, 03:22:38 pm »

I originally posted about this problem in DF Gameplay Questions, here, back in February 2008.

Using unmodified version 0.27.176.38c, I am still playing that same fortress, and basically the problem is that every legendary artifact gauntlet that any dwarf in this fortress makes as a result of a strange mood always turns out to be right-handed; never left-handed. I'm not sure if this is a common problem or I'm just doing something specific that is causing all my legendary artifact gauntlets to turn out right-handed. One point to note is that these gauntlets have all used adamantine as the base material.

Some examples of the right-handed gauntlets follow:

An armorsmith who liked gauntlets once entered a strange mood, giving me a chance to experiment. From testing, I had already discovered that although the artifact name is decided upon as soon as the mood begins, and although the category of artifact is based on the dwarf's current skills, the type (plate mail, chain mail, greaves, leggings, gauntlet, etc.) of artifact created is not actually finalized until the moment the artifact is completed, so I saved the game and reloaded ten times to see what kinds of artifacts would be made. Since the dwarf liked gauntlets, I was hoping I might have seen a selection of left-handed and right-handed gauntlets after reloading a few times. However, they were all right-handed gauntlets, as shown here (note the identical artifact names, indicating that they were all created by the same mood):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also took screenshots of four artifact gauntlets resulting from various other dwarves' moods (note the different artifact names, indicating that they were this time not all created by the same mood):

Finally, to help show that this was all happening in one fortress, I took a screenshot of part of the list of fortress artifacts; highlighting all the gauntlets that were displayed on that screen, all of which were right-handed:

At first I thought I may have just been unlucky, but the problem persisted.

I thought perhaps the first few dwarves were all right-handed, but it continued to happen with different dwarves, and I'm not even sure if dwarves can favor one hand over the other, nor how to check which hand they favor.

I've read that some people have made left-handed artifact gauntlets out of other materials, so I wondered if maybe it's an issue relating to using only adamantine as the base material for the gauntlets.

Perhaps these consistent right-handed gauntlet artifacts are a result of a rule or a feature of DF that I'm unaware of, but it seems unusual that right-handed gauntlets should be exclusively chosen like this over left-handed ones, so I thought I should point it out.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 09:31:44 pm by Tayrin »

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
Re: [38c] Artifact gauntlets always right-handed.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 05:05:37 pm »

I logged in to check this, cuz I was sure I had a couple left-handed artifact gauntlets in my fort, but they are all right-handed, for certain.

If I were to guess, I'd say it's a problem with the normal create gauntlet reaction, which always creates two of them. It might spawn the right one first (would be easily checkable by queuing up a set of gloves and pressing T over the workshop after they were made [the one created first will show up on top in the list]). After the right one is created during a mood, it IS the entire reaction and the left one is skipped.

edit:clarification
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 05:08:11 pm by Dasqoot »

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 06:37:15 am »

Yeah, that's how it works.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 08:15:36 am »

Hmm.  Once actual powers for artifacts are in, it'd be neat to have artifacts that are produced in 'pairs' -- the legendary gloves whose full powers are only revealed when you're wearing both, say (although they might still have minor powers on their own.)  It'd be interesting to see the pair broken up.

Multi-part artifacts could be interesting.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 09:34:25 am »

I thought it was fixed, but I was confused by
made caravans bring gloves/shoes in pairs

I think it should be fixed too. It's even not reported yet :(.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 03:57:27 am »

Okay, I'll note it down.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 05:04:20 am »

It...  it looks like I might be able to put this one to rest.

Code: [Select]
if(random(2))it->set_symmetry(SYMMETRYFLAG_RIGHT);
else it->set_symmetry(SYMMETRYFLAG_RIGHT);
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 06:45:47 am »

LOL - I think even I could fix that bug!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.