Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do Chasm monsters respawn?  (Read 601 times)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do Chasm monsters respawn?
« on: July 10, 2008, 01:28:46 pm »

Okay, I have a really, really deep Chasm. Here's my plan.

I want to floor/bridge over every single floor of the Chasm. Naturally, this will require a massive military extermination project, of course. I have like, four Resident Named Giant Cave Swallowmen.

See, I want to floor over every single floor of the chasm, so I can harvest cave spider silk en masse, basically turning it into a massive silk farm. (I don't need the Chasm to Chasm stuff, since I have the magma chute next door, I can just Magma Flow them).

But will I have monsters constantly spawning in my silk farm?

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do Chasm monsters respawn?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 02:38:16 pm »

i'm not entirely sure about this, but whenever i have a chasm, theres always a chance of an ambush appearing out of nowhere. Always been a GCS though for me, so i just make some nifty 2 layered walls (something attachable to a lever next to a fortification) so that the spiders shoot webs at my military dwarfs i leave near the opening, then i hit the lever to block Line of Sight so i can harvest the new webbing  ;D

In other words, i'd assume that even if you blocked it off, you would have nasty little monsters popping up anyways every once in a while.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Do Chasm monsters respawn?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 02:46:16 pm »

Monsters in chasms DO NOT respawn, if I remember correctly. However, GCSs start out invisible until they get close to you, so don't be surprised to be attacked by one once in a while, even if the unit list doesn't show any after your genocide.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.