Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caged goblins lose their fighting spirit?  (Read 1064 times)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caged goblins lose their fighting spirit?
« on: July 10, 2008, 11:17:59 am »

I've wondered about this lately. Whenever I release caged goblin warriors in my arena, they just wander around until my soldier, be it a recruit or a champion, comes and kills them without the goblins even fighting back. Why is this? Do they lose the ability to fight when they get trapped?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caged goblins lose their fighting spirit?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 07:10:29 pm »

well dwarfs strip them of there weapons or they drop them when trapped I'm not sure which

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 07:54:09 pm »

well dwarfs strip them of there weapons or they drop them when trapped I'm not sure which

Neither. Goblins retain their weapons even while caged. It is possible to disarm goblins by going into the stock screen and finding each item a goblin has, piece by piece, but it's often more trouble than it's worth.

To the OP: I've noticed this with the gobbos I release in my arena. I've got a dragon chained up in the center but they just keep running around it or past it. They never attack. Hell, the dragon even seems disinterested. It kills the gobbos eventually but it seems like the big lizard really takes his damn time.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 08:26:36 pm »

Hm... I seem to have the opposite problem. My dwarves can never move a goblin out of it's cage without the thing trying to kill them, and thus cancelling the caging job.

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 08:48:25 pm »

I found often creatures in cages go insane or depressed when they are released. I tried to have a battle between ratmen and goblins and one of the ratmen went beserk killed all the rest and then just stood there and didn't fight the goblins. I had to flood the arena.
Also for the last poster: if the creature inside is dangerous you need to rig the cage to a lever to open it.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 09:58:00 pm »

Neither. Goblins retain their weapons even while caged. It is possible to disarm goblins by going into the stock screen and finding each item a goblin has, piece by piece, but it's often more trouble than it's worth.

Isn't it possible to press t then disarm them that way? or check there inventory? i have yet to capture a goblin so forgive me if this is a ridiculous question. also can you dump cages in water? i have a pool for this but have yet try it out.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 10:34:22 pm »

Isn't it possible to press t then disarm them that way? or check there inventory? i have yet to capture a goblin so forgive me if this is a ridiculous question. also can you dump cages in water? i have a pool for this but have yet try it out.

Cages are merely portals to tiny pocket dimensions which only allow temperature and creatures to pass through. The cages will sit around at the bottom of the pool, with fully alive goblins sitting in them twiddling their thumbs.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 12:34:15 am »

Cages are merely portals to tiny pocket dimensions which only allow temperature and creatures to pass through. The cages will sit around at the bottom of the pool, with fully alive goblins sitting in them twiddling their thumbs.
at the very least the goblins will die if released. its the best i could do since i lack magma.
P.S lets see how many quotes we can get! I'm on 4!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 02:57:38 pm »

Isn't there anything we can change in the files in order to make them attack after release?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 07:21:44 pm »

their siege/ambush has presumably routed so the'll probably want to run away as well +
they probably cannot find a path out of the arena, so they just sit there being miserable.

Might be that to have viable gladiators, you have to capture an entire siege without caging.
Build a complicated maze to deliver enemies piecemeal to the grinder.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link