Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stoned...  (Read 2173 times)

pancho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stoned...
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 12:22:13 pm »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 01:04:31 pm »

This becomes ridiculous.
This is when I hate that we have no moderators and no warnings.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 03:20:17 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 01:18:27 pm »

But we do have mods and warnings. Toady and Three-Toe manage to keep things surprisingly clear.

(I'll avoid the obvious pot-kettle-black here)

To continue what someone else said earlier, yes you can build something and expect that the builder will move stone out of the way. But if that stone is flagged for use in a task, the builder will suspend the build job and leave the stone where it is.

You can build bridges to clear stone as well, which is great for larger areas.

And if you're like me and have separate 3x3 rooms with a door for workshops that get claimed during fey moods, note that when the workshop gets built the builder will toss all the stone into the space where the door should be. Door builders don't tend to like removing 8 stones before building the door, I've found, and will just suspend.

If it's a stone using shop, it should use that stone up pretty quickly. But if it's a wood shop or something, a neighboring stone shop might not use it up in time for you to build that necessary door. So in that case, even if you don't want to use quantum stockpiles, you might want to dump the stone so you can make room for a door.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

adamantyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tilting at Windmills
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 01:54:15 pm »

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Actually, I hadn't been aware of the purpose of a "dump" spot. I dug a channel pit, designated the above area as a dump spot, and voila, my dwarves just dump the stone into the pit, where it stacks up until I reclaim it as needed. Works perfectly!

One good way to use up stone is constructing paved roads, that will burn up your stone supply and gives merchants a nice route in to your fortress. Or goblins.  ;D

Adamantyr
The learned fool writes his nonsense in better languages than the unlearned; but still it is nonsense. - Poor Richard's Almanac

galmud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 02:59:31 pm »

Thanks for the tips. Always end up with stone stockpiled all over the place. tried dumping but for some reason I couldnt get it to work. Gonna give it another try

btw I think Bob Dylans "Rainy Day women 12 35" sums up dwarves feelings about hauling those damned stones around 24/7

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 03:29:22 pm »

At first it bugged me but now I just ignore the stones everywhere. I also mostly have a crapload of bins around + some q'ed up create rock crafts jobs. This burns alot of stone and means its easy to haul to the trade depot.

Another way I used once is to use a siege crew to fire rocks at walls to train em, but seeing they just mostly run away when the first goblin (or hamster with an attitude) shows up, I stopped using this method.

I also use the Mike Mayday tileset, so it bothers me even less if I see rock lying around. When creating stockpiles I just make sure that I have a dumpzone to drop all the rocks I dont want and mark em for dumping.

If rocks really bother you, its still a good idea to "get over it" the first few years till you got the manpower to move it all. After setting up the "default" Z layers for living/producing/farming and cleaning em up a tad (which take 4-5+ years at the very least (rock crafts, door, coffins, etc etc), Im not even looking at my lower Z levels which are mostly mass mining efforts)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 03:32:09 pm by Sinned »
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 07:34:22 pm »

Actually, I hadn't been aware of the purpose of a "dump" spot. I dug a channel pit, designated the above area as a dump spot, and voila, my dwarves just dump the stone into the pit, where it stacks up until I reclaim it as needed. Works perfectly!
You don't need to dig a channel either. Your dwarves can dump stones on the same z-level they are on just fine. Unless of course you want your dumping dwarves a z-level above the workshops using that stone.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 09:25:15 am »

I have pretty decent luck dealing with the stone without quantum stockpiling. I have one stonecrafter constantly churning out whatever trade good is most in vogue that season, a one mason's shop churning out furniture like clockwork, and use the rest to build giant castles.

About half my 25 dwarves are haulers with masonry enabled (The mason's shop is restricted to only allow the actual mason to work there). They build a single floor of a fairly large castle in a season or two. Until I come up with a need for the space, I use any rooms created this way as stone stockpiles.  Building materials nice and close to where they are used, and I even use them up faster than my legendary miner digs them out.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 12:50:23 am »

another option is to make stone crafts and store them in a stockpile that has 1/7 to 3/7 water running over it.

Whats with the water?
Magma is overrated.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2008, 05:10:14 am »

I'm guessing he uses it to train swimming on the haulers who store craft there. That little water won't drown the dwarves and they will slowly get more skill and hence more stats. Strong or agile haulers move stuff faster. :)
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008, 12:14:15 pm »

No, no, not at all.

I'm doing this because I don't want to keep the crafts. (I dont trade.)
I want to destroy them, it's all part of my big "getting rid of excess stone" schemes.

The water either pushes the items into one corner of the room or gets them destroyed in the process.

I guess you can modify this to your needs: small room with a soft and steady flow will move the items in a corner and leave them be. Automated quantum stockpiling if you want.

Bigger rooms with longer distances to travel and maybe some vortex-ish currents have a higher chance of destroying them. You could also dig a channel at one side of the room (preferrably where the pumps are) You can either store the items in that channel (no flowing water in there i guess) or destroy them with an atomsmashing bridge. (in that case put a retracting bridge over it, to remember items to fall down, that get stuck on the pivoting point of the drawbridge below)

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2008, 12:43:39 pm »

Bah. If yer a real dwarf there ain't no such thing as excess stone. Build up and out and around. Towers for the marksdwarves, roads for the traders and high, strong walls to keep the damned goblins.

One of the things I love about DF is the ability to build. I never have enough stone.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2008, 01:33:57 pm »

yeah, ofc building above ground is another way to keep inside nice and tidy. also you can deconstruct stuff for stones again.

but imho the building UI is rather... painful atm, so I can only build so much before I decide it's really majestic enough.
Pages: 1 [2]