Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gah! Clustersize  (Read 1645 times)

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gah! Clustersize
« on: July 09, 2008, 03:46:27 pm »

From the wiki:

[CLUSTERSIZE:] How many plants of this type you can grow from one seed. Also how many plants will be in a stack if you bring them when embarking.

The latter is true, but the former seems to not work - I am trying to make a mod with more difficult agriculture, and part of this is nerfing mushrooms. Problem is, even if I set the CLUSTERSIZE to 1, I am still getting dwarves picking groups of 3 and 4 mushrooms.

What I see,

Crop
Clustersize
Embark Stack Size   
Observed Grown Stack Size

Mushroom
1-4

Carrot
2-3

Wheat
3-5

Anyone have a clue?

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Gah! Clustersize
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 08:27:04 pm »

For one, the size of a tile's harvest depends on the skills of the guy who planted the seed.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 10:12:58 pm »

Yes, but that's supposed to max out at the maximum cluster size.  He was gathering clusters of mushrooms that were larger than the maximum amount he had set.

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 02:31:24 am »

Were you growers legendary? I'm not 100% certain, but I believe legendary farmers can exceed the max cluster size. A while back I tried setting plump helmets to [CLUSTERSIZE:3] and it seemed to be working. Only after a few years of play, when my growers were all legendary, did I start noticing stacks of 4. Given that you'd normally expect to see legendary farmers grow stacks of at least 5, I'm pretty sure that the change I made was having an effect.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 09:00:19 am »

No legendaries. I'll triple check everything, and then post a save to confirm if the problem persists.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 03:32:50 pm »

Double checked everything, regenned a fresh world in a clean DF install, it still happens. Clustersize:1, even moderately skilled growers are pulling up clumps of 2 and 3 mushrooms at a time.

Should I make this a bug report? What's the best way to submit a save for Toady's analysis? I know, what with a release pending, it will take a long time to get looked at, but if it is a bug it should get reported.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 12:57:44 am »

just make a post about it in the bug form with any and all relevant information you can think of. Something like this should be easy enough to reproduce that he won't need a save.

But before you do that, stop to consider maybe the wiki is wrong - anyone can edit it remember, and it has alot of false or out-dated info. Unless you can find a quote from toady saying cluster size is supposed to do what you think, it might not be a bug at all.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 04:17:10 pm »

I'm having similar issues. I tried to make a plant mod with long growth times times (as in multiple seasons) and larger yields.

I tried clustersize 10, 15, and 20 - all resulted in stacks ranging from 1-5 even after I trained my grower to legendary.

I'm actually wondering at this, because even with clustersize 20, legendary farmer, and fertilizing the field to max sometimes still results in a stack of one or two instead of at least 5.

The field without fertilizer did exactly the same, too.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 04:39:21 pm »

could it be that the grown amount is hard coded and the cluster size only relates to how many are brought with you on embark?

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 05:28:56 am »

could it be that the grown amount is hard coded and the cluster size only relates to how many are brought with you on embark?

or for plants that already grow on the map.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?