Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Elves are sick and twisted  (Read 2677 times)

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves are sick and twisted
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 06:53:29 am »

Ah, killing off Elves, there is no finer art in all of the Dwarf Fort world!

Personally I prefer the 'no reason' bridge thats lowered and (hopefully) crushes them all. But I recently ventured into making 'mines'. Basically, build supports with stairs leadin up 1 Z-level build 4x4 floors above the supports, hook the supports up to a pressure pad right beside it and wait, hoping to Armok that it wont be set off by something miniscule and unimportant (like a herd of mountain goat)

I hate Elves

Why not just use a LEVER for gods sake?
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 08:36:47 am »

timing, if you link it to a lever by the time the lever is pulled the target will have moved.
keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 08:54:20 am »

Got one for you: a Trade Depot sitting on top of a rock sitting on a single pillar linked to a lever, with a bridge so they can get to it. First, let the elves onto your Depot Island. Then pull the bridge lever, stranding them there until they go mad and start having at each other with those clumsy sticks they call "swords". When all but one is dead, pull the second lever, dumping the whole mess down, crippling the one lone Elf. To recap, you'd turn a peaceful, haughty, caravan of Elves into one lone gibbering cripple set to roll around in the tile he landed on and look at the paste that used to be his legs before death mercifully takes him.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 10:03:54 am »

timing, if you link it to a lever by the time the lever is pulled the target will have moved.

Oh. I assumed you were going to let them go into the trade depot, and then collapse that, then just use the debris to rebuild a floor and trade depot.
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Corak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 01:50:57 pm »

Woah, woah... if something is partially or fully submerged in water come winter, and the water freezes, that thing is STUCK in the ice? Including people???

I love this game...

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 01:56:21 pm »

Woah, woah... if something is partially or fully submerged in water come winter, and the water freezes, that thing is STUCK in the ice? Including people???

I love this game...

Actually, its instakilled. You CAN preserve people in obsidian though, by pouring magma onto water they're standing on. They're just stored there for future use; no one as of yet has checked if they'll die of thirst or anything. I'm not sure of the equipment survives; but I know its instant death on glaciers. I've heard tales of a sprinkler system that made a killer defense; everyone gets frozen solid.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 03:33:17 pm »

I love this game...

Actually, its instakilled. You CAN preserve people in obsidian though, by pouring magma onto water they're standing on. They're just stored there for future use; no one as of yet has checked if they'll die of thirst or anything. I'm not sure of the equipment survives; but I know its instant death on glaciers. I've heard tales of a sprinkler system that made a killer defense; everyone gets frozen solid.

Has anyone set up a lever-and-floodgate system to check if adventurers die from being encased in obsidian, or if they're just stuck like that? It'd be lots of fun to check out...
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 04:52:02 pm »

I thought obsidian encasement instantly killed things as well.  Like ice, you could mine out the remnants, but I don't think they survive the process.  And yes, equipment is preserved after going through the deep-freeze process.

And the device Corak is mentioning is called the Degrinchinator.  It was a brilliant design, and needs far more publicity than it has gotten so far.  Some people still seem to think it's a myth.

Here it is, in action: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-231-degrinchinator

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 07:37:20 pm »

I thought obsidian encasement instantly killed things as well.  Like ice, you could mine out the remnants, but I don't think they survive the process.  And yes, equipment is preserved after going through the deep-freeze process.

And the device Corak is mentioning is called the Degrinchinator.  It was a brilliant design, and needs far more publicity than it has gotten so far.  Some people still seem to think it's a myth.

Here it is, in action: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-231-degrinchinator

Magnificent! This is, the ultimate weapon!

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 09:43:21 pm »

It's a little restricted in its use: only in freezing maps (or cold during the winter) with aquifers and/or other (preferably infinite) water sources.

I thought of an improvement on that design: if you were to build it several z-levels deep, you could build a degrinchinator that would "fire" multiple times. I have yet to try this (no water on my current map), but in theory it ought to work.

And all this talk of elves as "majestic" is a bit offputting; I mean, really, they sleep in the dirt in the middle of the woods. How is that majestic?
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".
Pages: 1 [2]