Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Your most stupid mistake  (Read 8676 times)

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
Re: Your most stupid mistake
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2008, 11:20:12 am »

I would have to say the stupidest mistake was channeling a tunnel of magma near my living quarters. I was having the magma go around a corner and accidentally touched the housing diagonally. It instantly incinerated the dwarf in the room. To keep it from spreading i had them build a wall, but they were too slow. It filled up the living quarters taking about 10 dwarves with it then seeped down into the workshops. I had to start over :)

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2008, 11:43:17 am »

X  #+X     X/O = wall
X # +X     # = grate
XXOXXX     + = floor

I told them to remove the wall at O. Can you guess where they stood? And what happened to where they stood?

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2008, 12:18:26 pm »

you know its not good when during trade with the elves, you finally notice a town liaison has died... and is buried in your tombs ><

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2008, 12:18:53 pm »

So early on in my current fort, I decided to dig a bit of a pipe to bring water from the river into my fort.  Not a long pipe, just far enough to bring it under the moat and wall.  A few dozen tiles, perhaps.

While building it, my miners had to go down a couple Z-levels from the surface, so I built stairways.  At the bottom, I decided to go ahead and build up/down stairways instead of plain up stairways.  "After all", I thought, "I might want to pump it out and go deeper or something".

A decade later game-time, I was digging out an exporatory mine-grid looking for coal.  I had found quite a bit of magnetite and a few veins of native platinum.  Have a legendary Furniture-smith, this was a MASSIVE amount of wealth: a single vein of native platinum can make a lot of =platinum statues= worth 4000 monies each, not to mention what some legendary engravers could do with the floor.

However, this grid was one Z-level down from my little underground aquaduct.

The result:
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2008, 03:52:36 am »

letting fire imps anywhere near grass. how the hell was i supposed to know grass could catch on fire? and 3 rows at once? bloody hell.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2008, 06:11:45 am »

Once that happens, the trick is to mine out a channel to stop the fire before it spreads too far. :P
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

ACE91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SECTOR91 Productions
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2008, 07:47:11 am »

I was digging out a system of canals under my fort, and I started to fill it up slowly. Then a dragon attacked! I completely forgot about the water, and ordered mt squadron of speardwarves to attack the dragon. Then, I spent a lot of time carefully managing my dwarves to make sure that they made a high-quality dragon bone helm and dragon leather shield for the Speardwarf who slayed the dragon. All this time, the water was still running. Only later do I find that I somehow let it flood 2 floors--luckily, both of which were uninhabited, although I now no longer have access to my tomb floor. At least now my dwarves might be able to train swimming skill.
ACE91, Programmer cancels Strange Mood: Went insane.
because there's only one reality.
Says who?

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2008, 10:57:50 am »

I just had a horrible mistake. I was digging out farming areas and I touched the unfinished moat diagonally. Once it flooded it proceeded  to flooding the fort. I am going to wait for it to freeze then build some pumps and remove the water.

Aergoth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2008, 12:15:58 pm »

Tunneling around the restriction line to reach ore. Allowing my hunters to get mauled by a giant eagle. And their little dogs too.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2008, 04:55:31 am »

Wicked elf of the west.
I'll get you my pretty! and your little doggy too! ha ha ha!
then, of course, i will eat your corpse. mother nature gets back what it puts in man.... save the trees. yeah.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2008, 05:51:46 am »

Greetings!

Well, I can't really say what I was thinking when I breached the aquifer from below ...

When I was sure that it was not just an underground pool, I abandoned that fortress and decided not to try aquifers again (had some disappointments with them before).

Deathworks

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2008, 10:26:58 am »

Tunneling around the restriction line to reach ore. Allowing my hunters to get mauled by a giant eagle. And their little dogs too.

I just take the [FLIER] out of the eagles :)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2008, 10:30:56 am »

My stupidest mistake was not calculating into my irrigation system exactly how fast aquifers release water. The crazy thing was that this was on a glacier fort, so the water in my fort reached the top levels it froze solid. This stopped anyone from ever tunneling into that fort again, as now the pumps could not be stopped, so the water would just flood up, freezing into a block of ice or drowning whoever tunneled into it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Oldin

• Bay Watcher
  • I Lost the game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2008, 12:25:57 pm »

My stupidest mistake was not calculating into my irrigation system exactly how fast aquifers release water. The crazy thing was that this was on a glacier fort, so the water in my fort reached the top levels it froze solid. This stopped anyone from ever tunneling into that fort again, as now the pumps could not be stopped, so the water would just flood up, freezing into a block of ice or drowning whoever tunneled into it.

I am actually not sure what this means... Water in aquifers is not pressurised is it? So how could it reach the top levels if it can't go up at all.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2008, 03:02:35 pm »

I made the same mistake as the first post in this thread. Which is really stupid, since I read this thread before and told myself countless times not to extend the moat channel :P

Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5