Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Your most stupid mistake  (Read 8684 times)

Solmyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your most stupid mistake
« on: July 09, 2008, 04:57:33 am »

So I was trying to build a well for my fortress. Dug a long channel from the nearby brook, everything goes according to plan, I have the channel extending through the cliff wall into my fortress. It's on the floor just above my bedroom area, I make a note to be careful.

Of course some time later I get the bright idea of actually building the well closer to the main fortress corridors so the dwarves don't have to walk as far to get to it. So I extend the channel and promptly dig into my bedrooms, flooding them. ;D

Fortunately no dwarves were in there at the time and all the bedroom doors were closed, which contained the flooding to the corridors. The area is sealed off now and I managed to recover the beds by digging an access tunnel around the place. I can probably collapse some floors onto the channel to stop the water flow, but I still need to come up with a good way to get rid of all the water currently in the dormitory corridors (it's 7/7!). Any advice on that, or should I just abandon the place and build a new bedroom area (and possibly have my chief engineer thrown into the well for commiting such a blunder ;D )?

Any similarly stupid mistakes you've made? :P

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Your most stupid mistake
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 05:05:21 am »

I wanted to make an underground turtlelake beneath my sewers level, with a watrfall providing a bit of  class to the room. I linked the floodgate connected to the mains with a pressure plate, but it did not function as expected when the gate was opened by lever.

Now it is a 21/21 deep underground pocket of solid water.
I'll have to construct some pumps to bail out the excess.

not really stupid, but similar nonetheless.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 05:15:41 am »

Sparring with wellmade obsidian short swords and no armor, oh boy, my three most valuable dwarfs of seven bedded for a year and counting.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 05:20:31 am »

Easy.

Making this topic, and stating I will do all challenges posted there.

Though killing a bride and crippling a groom at their wedding celebration by accident when placing a floor tile above the reception, which connected to a bridge but nothing else, is a close second. ;)
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Styrre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 08:03:46 am »

A small mountain was in the way of my road project. Too stubborn to reroute the road and too lazy to strip-mine the mountain, I decided to blow it up; i.e. mined the ground level out, put one support under it, and pulled the lever.
Turns out it's not a good idea to let a mountain fall on your fortress. 
The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run. Over unsounded gorges, through the rifled hearts of mountains, under torrents' beds, unerringly I rush! Naught's an obstacle, naught's an angle to the iron way!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 10:31:55 am »

hmm.
yeah that is a mighty common mistake too.

one of those "oh!...ah!" moments when your carefully orchestrated demolition tears through the underlying ceilings and floors.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 10:35:45 am »

Had one of those, too. A loose floor falling in an artificial pond I created pierced through three levels and flooded my mines.

Whoopsie. ::)
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 11:00:11 am »

I was creating a tower to defend the trade depot. This tower would have some small rooms sticking out from the top, so whoever is inside the tower would be safe. Only if they get in the firing rooms would they be subject to goblin ranged weaponry.

Well, fortifications look very similar to their designation when using several different types of colored stone. Thus a part of it collapsed, nicking the upper-left corner of the trade depot and smashing into the food storage room. Lets just say that the traders hated us, half the food prepared was destroyed and several workers working on walls were knocked out, delaying the wall that would soon fail to keep invaders at bay.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 11:38:09 am »

My easily stupidest mistake is drowning my entire fort.
I had made a fort inside a cavern lake and built towers. It was mostly covered in fortifications and when a seige came I could flood the cavern and seal the towers.
Well turns out I had it all perfect. Except I forgot about the stairwell at the top of the main tower.

The siege comes, I pull the seal tower button, I pull the flood cavern button.
The goblins start drowning.
The my dwarves too.
I look in my main tower and see its half full and more water is still falling in, and the water is spilling over to the other towers. My control room is also flooded, then comes the automatic season save so I couldnt even save scum :(

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 12:16:52 pm »

My easily stupidest mistake is drowning my entire fort.
I had made a fort inside a cavern lake and built towers. It was mostly covered in fortifications and when a seige came I could flood the cavern and seal the towers.
Well turns out I had it all perfect. Except I forgot about the stairwell at the top of the main tower.

The siege comes, I pull the seal tower button, I pull the flood cavern button.
The goblins start drowning.
The my dwarves too.
I look in my main tower and see its half full and more water is still falling in, and the water is spilling over to the other towers. My control room is also flooded, then comes the automatic season save so I couldnt even save scum :(

Automatic saves are, in my experience, saved as a separate region file.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 12:29:58 pm »

Only if automated backup is activated .. thats another switch in the init file.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 12:36:21 pm »

Though killing a bride and crippling a groom at their wedding celebration by accident when placing a floor tile above the reception, which connected to a bridge but nothing else ...

They might not be able to learn not to have parties, and there may be no natural selection forces in the game that eventually leave you with only dour dwarves. But you can sure feel good about ruining Libash Arrozfikod's special day. Get back to work!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 12:59:38 pm »

Pumping magma through a wooden screw pump...

yeah...

I started a forest fire...
keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 01:16:54 pm »

I tried to make an underground water reservoir for my dwarves, but forgot...

To put any method for the water to get OUT. I was going to have a floodgate I would use when the water got high enough, but guess what, I accidentally opened up the channel from the brook before my mechanic could put it in. Cue drowning injured dwarves and abandon. Man I felt stupid.

I have yet to try to build a functioning underground reservoir with screw pumps for fear of a repetition of this mistake. ^_^
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »

Pumping magma through a wooden screw pump...

yeah...

I started a forest fire...

Pumping magma through a wooden screw pump is perfectly acceptable. You would only cause a fire is your magma went somewhere.................careless.

And my biggest mistake was digging out a pit in front of my base(to keep away those pesky goblins), forgot I had put a water channel under it to power my water wheel and flooded the whole fortress.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5