Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Litterbugs!  (Read 757 times)

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Litterbugs!
« on: July 09, 2008, 02:21:52 am »

My dwarves are leaving random clothing all over the map. I tried dumping it, but it didn't work. It's still marked as owned, so my haulers leave it alone.

Will my dwarves ever pick up their crap? I know a single stray bolt can cancel a road or wall. I'm afraid the castoff socks will interfere with future building.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Litterbugs!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 02:54:55 am »

I they do not have anywhere to put it then they will dump it. try putting a chest or wardrobe in there rooms

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 08:22:50 am »

This is a known issue and can become a problem. Storage is ment to help with coffers and chests however I think its been noted that dwarves which drop an item theyve claimed wont pick it up again and the item wont be unclaimed even if teh dwarf dies making it a permanent feature of the fortress from that point on.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 12:25:40 am »

What about my soldiers? Can I put a chest in the barracks?

This is a known issue and can become a problem. Storage is ment to help with coffers and chests however I think its been noted that dwarves which drop an item theyve claimed wont pick it up again and the item wont be unclaimed even if teh dwarf dies making it a permanent feature of the fortress from that point on.

I had this problem with my late mayor. I think it's only because he had a tomb. My dwarves piled all his stuff into the little tomb until it filled up. There are still a couple pieces of clothing with his name on them around the spot he died.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 12:49:39 am »

On a TOTALLY unrelated note, Strangething, do you have any idea where you got your avatar? I remember some silly dinosaur-related videocassette I used to watch as a small child had that strange... creature... somewhere in it, and now that you've reminded me of it I find myself obsessed with finding out what that blasted video was called.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 01:00:00 am »

I haven't tried it but i would assume that if you labeled it as theres then they would use it but it would lower the value of the barracks somewhat depending on your armed forces size. not that they should care, they are military not hippies!

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 07:07:58 am »

On a TOTALLY unrelated note, Strangething, do you have any idea where you got your avatar? I remember some silly dinosaur-related videocassette I used to watch as a small child had that strange... creature... somewhere in it, and now that you've reminded me of it I find myself obsessed with finding out what that blasted video was called.

The Land Before Time? There was a Brontosaurus that had a head like that.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 09:33:57 am »

The Land Before Time? There was a Brontosaurus that had a head like that.

No, there was some live action thing that had that exact... thing.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 09:40:06 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troodon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbnShtVx4Ts
The concept of a dinosauroid seems rather silly to me, actually
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 09:41:47 am »

Try setting it on fire. it'll burn away eventually.

On a more serious note, can't you dig a channel underneath it and the tomb it off? Of course cabins and coffins are a must for mature fortresses.