Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trade with me dammit!  (Read 1438 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trade with me dammit!
« on: July 09, 2008, 12:16:54 am »

The traders have come for the first year and i tried to get an anvil but to do so i had to use HEAPS of items like stone and crafts and mechanisms but even though they can carry it and make money out of it they refuse to take it saying "with your trade goods such as they are, I can't fathom you ending up with all of those items" what? just take my crap! help me please they are leaving soon

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Trade with me dammit!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 12:18:50 am »

This means you gave them too small sum. What is the trader profit from the deal? Make sure it's 400+ (~40%) for unexperienced trader. As your trader's level grow you'll be able to lower the acceptable trader profit to 15-20%.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 12:19:58 am »

Thanks in the end the trade of was 50. I have an anvil! oh thank god...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 12:29:34 am »

I think that the trader profit is affected by the current trader disposition to you too, but I may be wrong.
The disposition is shown above the trade screen, your Judge of Intent skill determines it.
If you make too many unappropriate trade requests (with too low trader profit) you may end with the traders stopping bargaining and leaving.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 04:02:27 am »

If you want to not worry to much about creating wealth when traders come to your fortress then i would suggest having a proficient cook, brewer and grower. Simply grow a ton of plants that can be made into precious alcoholic beverages and when traders come cook some of those drinks into prepared meals (via the z and kitchen screen). Infact i didn't even have to worry about making any trade goods and just did that when traders came and bought out their entire caravan well before they left and made them leave esctatic about the trade. Don't really know if its seen as "cheating" although i'm sure it isn't seen to be cheating in the way decorating arrows is cheating.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 04:46:01 am »

yea can i just gather from bushes? or is there a specific plant? thanks for your time.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 05:10:39 am »

I just used plump helmets, sweet pots and pig tails, i never really bother gathering plants from outside (reason is that i deem trees to be more valuable and i don't want to trample the saplings). The pig tails imo are especially usefull for brewing and then cooking imo, the reason is that they aren't edible and by growing them with a good grower you fast produce lots of seeds so that when you're ready you can start setting up a very large cloth production. Atleast thats what i find to be efficient and fast.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 09:38:28 pm »

decorating arrows is cheating.

How is decorating arrows cheating?
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 10:06:29 pm »

Cheesy, maybe, but not cheating I would think.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 10:52:29 pm »

Well, since the decor buff effects each and every arrow in the stack, you've can get 20 times the value whilst using the same resources.
I'd call that an exploit.

Snogmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 11:13:54 pm »

What version did prepared foods become no longer tradable?  I have a huge oversupply of food now that I used to like to get rid of by just tossing at caravans.  It was worth far too much imo, but now it's not even an option.
quot;A man chooses, a dwarf obeys."

Andrew "Tarn" Ryan, Mid-Winter, year 1960

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 01:34:12 am »

Well, since the decor buff effects each and every arrow in the stack, you've can get 20 times the value whilst using the same resources.
I'd call that an exploit.
Not really. arrows are small and so a gem would decorate all of them and if the merchants are willing to pay money then more fool them. not an exploit when you think about it rationally

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 01:40:09 am »

Let us not split hairs here...

The fact that arrows have a multiplication effect is an exploit... it also makes them WAY too expensive...

Though I fully expect that Food and Arrows will have a price change eventually...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 03:04:41 am »

I haven't actually bothered decorating my arrows yet so I'll take your word for it. the goods will probably change in cost i agree

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 04:33:31 am »

What version did prepared foods become no longer tradable?  I have a huge oversupply of food now that I used to like to get rid of by just tossing at caravans.  It was worth far too much imo, but now it's not even an option.
They are tradeable at least in 38a/b/c. This is the main thing of my trade income.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: [1] 2