Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tall winter pond  (Read 1197 times)

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tall winter pond
« on: July 08, 2008, 08:25:23 pm »

I have a map that freezes. I made a 5-level water pit above the surface and a drainage pipe for it, and a chamber between (I'm going to kill goblins with a u-bend).

I just designated the finished tower as a pond, and the water went one level down and froze in midair.

So something you can do if you want to go all bondvillain is make an icefloor like that (the edge of the tower is one z-level above the screen cap), dump a goblin onto the ice, and wait until spring for the goblin to plummet to its death.

Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tall winter pond
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 08:58:57 pm »

It took me a while not to be surprised that it didn't drop like a stone. "Oh yeah, it's stuck to the walls, that kinda makes sense".
("kinda" get's past Firefox's spellchecker but "colour doesn't?)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:03:36 pm »

I think it would be fun to see the effects of having a water supply that can pump directly into open air, unsupported by anything.  When freezy-time comes around, you should be able to bomb whatever area is underneath the pump's dropoff point with massive falling ice blocks.  It'd be a pain because of autopause, but just think of how brilliant it would be to obliterate a goblin war party by raining massive shards of ice on top of it.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 09:13:09 pm »

Gornak McBondvillian: Bwahaha! Urist Bond, you won't survive!
 Urist Bond: Oh please, what have you come up with THIS time?
 Gornak McBondvillian: You see you are currently standing on a floor of ice. Beneath this ice is several z-levels of empty space, an ice floor forming the ground. Beneath this ice floor is a pond filled with carp with crossbows on their heads. In about a week it will become spring, and the ice will mely. Not only will this crush you by the impact, but the carp will finish you off! Bwahaha
 *Dramatic exit*
 Urist Bond: Not if I have anything to do with it!

*Channels the floors around one tile with his watch that turns into a pickaxe. The collapse kills the carp. He then jumps into the now solid ice floor several z-levels below using his 15 cloaks as parachutes. He then fishes the x-bow from the dead carp out of the water and uses it on the Henchgoblins on the top of the pit. He throws a Henchgoblin corpse at a nearby door they used to fill the pond with carp, breaking down the door. He then swims over there using the cloaks as a raft.*

Gornak McBondvillian: Drats! Foiled again!

*Just then, Urist McBond kicks down a door. He then pulls a lever, activating a drawbridge underneath Gornak McVillian. This flings him into the pit Bond was previously in*

Urist Bond: Villiany has some, less obvious Pitfalls.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 01:43:29 pm »

I think it would be fun to see the effects of having a water supply that can pump directly into open air, unsupported by anything.  When freezy-time comes around, you should be able to bomb whatever area is underneath the pump's dropoff point with massive falling ice blocks.  It'd be a pain because of autopause, but just think of how brilliant it would be to obliterate a goblin war party by raining massive shards of ice on top of it.

That sounds like a pretty epic idea, it would be brutally effective. I wonder if you would lose thier equipement that way, due to being crushed under ice?  Another problem you may have is that for it to work the temp needs to be freezing, this can cause problems with pumping/transporting water, especially if you have an exterior supply.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 01:31:18 pm »

You can build it next to a cliffside and fuel it from an underground source.
Code: [Select]
#########
####### %%
~~~~~~~~#
######### g
###########
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE