Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buckets and.... well, buckets  (Read 608 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Buckets and.... well, buckets
« on: July 08, 2008, 08:08:32 pm »

I have started a new fortress and I am creating a hospital for all dwarfs wounded and in need of a drink. but the bucket doesn't show in the place building thing! I can get my beds and doors but no bucket! help! any day now one of my dwarves legs may spontaneously crack!

Klendt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Buckets and.... well, buckets
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 08:48:00 pm »

You needn't actually place the bucket as a 'building'. Your dwarves will simply snatch it from the stockpile when its services are needed.
The boundary between healthy curiosity and outright nerdiness blurs yet more...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 08:51:28 pm »

ah. Ok thanks

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 10:53:35 am »

i like to think (im not 100% sure) it helps to have several buckets in a seperate stockpile, close to either where they will be used or the water source.

assume one a dwarf gets a bucket and uses it, and then drops it. until somebody notices the bucket and brings it back (or at least touches it, if you dont have any stockpiles for them), it wont be used again. so having 10 buckets enables more dwarves at once to generate that healthcare job. there will always be a certain percentage of your buckets "idling", because they recently have been used. if you have only one or two buckets that can noticably slow down any bucket brigade/healthcare operation.

so basically, make sure, there is a free bucket, when urist decideds healthcare is a useful job, or it might take him forever and then some to get the idea again.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 10:56:08 am by Puck »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 02:26:05 pm »

Find a married Urist Nightinggale with nothing but healthcare turned on (married means low jobs != living in streets)