Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf-like battles in real history  (Read 4158 times)

Corak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf-like battles in real history
« on: July 08, 2008, 03:52:05 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ollantaytambo

Browsing wikipedia I came upon a battle between Inca and Spanish forces... the Spanish attacked an Incan fortress, in return the Incans FLOODED the plain with a series of canals. Sounds a tad bit familiar...

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf-like battles in real history
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 04:05:49 pm »

Hehe, the Inca were awesome. Odd too, I had heard they didn't use anything except for clubs as weapons and relied primarily in numbers, as did their native neighbors. I guess they were innovative in their engineering though, even if they weren't in weaponry.
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 10:58:13 pm »

I was expecting that some city got attacked, and once the first wave of charging infantry was mowed down by archers, the entire civilian population mobbed the battlefield to grab socks off the dead guys and got massacred.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 12:19:19 am »

Funny. I imagined a bunch of archers mowing down a load of people dancing around at the entrance of their fort.

Though I suppose Agincourt would have something to say about bow balance...

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 02:26:26 am »

Mind you, those "clubs" were lined with obsidian shards. (metals were rare, for some reason)

Pretty darn sharp shards.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 03:55:33 am »

Here in the netherlands we also had something similar. In case of an attack, we would just flood the useless farmland surrounding the important cities and let them get across in rowboats and rafts while being shot at with cannons.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 06:02:03 am »

Macahuitls, I think, I looked them up a while ago.  Basically a stout piece of wood with ridiculously sharp chips of obsidian on the sides.  They are actually in DF- the Obsidian Short Swords the craftsdwarves make use obsidian and a bit of wood.

Another real-life facet of war that I've seen crop up in DF... Moats historically work great... until a winter comes, the water freezes over, and the invaders walk right up to the walls.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Alaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 08:48:14 am »

Except that in real life ice may be thin and break under weight of a heavy armored trooper, or be broken purposefully. Not to mention that the cold itself is more than a nuisance for both sieging army and besieged.

Frankmanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 08:50:25 pm »

Hehe, the Inca were awesome. Odd too, I had heard they didn't use anything except for clubs as weapons and relied primarily in numbers, as did their native neighbors. I guess they were innovative in their engineering though, even if they weren't in weaponry.

Some of their war clubs were supposedly quite fearsome. I believe the nicer ones were given an edge by putting lots of small obsidian blades on the edge, about the size and shape of shark's teeth. They weren't steel swords, but they could still do a lot of damage.

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 08:52:49 pm »

Mind you, those "clubs" were lined with obsidian shards. (metals were rare, for some reason)

Pretty darn sharp shards.

Some of their war clubs were supposedly quite fearsome. I believe the nicer ones were given an edge by putting lots of small obsidian blades on the edge, about the size and shape of shark's teeth. They weren't steel swords, but they could still do a lot of damage.

That was the Aztec and Maya, not the Inca.
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 09:15:17 pm »

That's correct.  The Inca used clubs embedded with numerous sharp laser beams that were delivered to them when the first chariot of the gods arrived.  These are the same chariots that demanded they make giant mosaics for them, in case they got bored and wanted to look at something while flying overhead.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 09:31:35 pm »

That's correct.  The Inca used clubs embedded with numerous sharp laser beams that were delivered to them when the first chariot of the gods arrived.  These are the same chariots that demanded they make giant mosaics for them, in case they got bored and wanted to look at something while flying overhead.

Sounds like DF to me!
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Nivekthegreat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 10:15:06 pm »

Building massive pictures in the ground for your gods/aliens to look at? Sounds like an engineering project for my dwarves to start working on.

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 10:53:04 pm »

I recall that Stonewall Jackson was defeated by skeletal walruses.
Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 11:03:33 pm »

Here in the netherlands we also had something similar. In case of an attack, we would just flood the useless farmland surrounding the important cities and let them get across in rowboats and rafts while being shot at with cannons.
I'm amazed they still tried to get across. When the land can be flooded and no one cares, that's a sign that it's not worth attacking.
Pages: [1] 2