Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How many Dining capacity per dwarf do you have?  (Read 2649 times)

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How many Dining capacity per dwarf do you have?
« on: July 08, 2008, 02:36:35 pm »

It seems wasteful to provide a spot for each dwarf, I'm currently designing a fortress able to handle exactly 800 dwarves. At this number, with my current dining room design, I would need to have 4 dining rooms (each room seats 240). I think 2 would be enough, that way unless my unemployment is over 60%, seating won't be a problem.

Anyways, it's a bit of a confusing question, but I was wondering how much seating other DF players provide for their fortresses.
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: How many Dining capacity per dwarf do you have?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 02:46:26 pm »

I give EVERY dwarf a 3x3 bedroom, with a door. Behind the bed is a path into another 3x3 room which I use as their dining room and office.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 02:52:54 pm »

Psh, I give every dwarf a 1x1 room, a door if they're lucky, and four tables in the 10x10 dining room if I'm feeling generous.  Dwarves past the first 7 sleep in the barracks until I get around to making more beds, if they even get that.
Shoes...

NTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 03:00:11 pm »

Dining rooms don't need to be all that huge. I doubt that you'll ever have more than 50 dwarves all eating at the same time, even in a fortress of 800. I created a room to seat 10 at the start of my fortress, and at 100 dwarfs there's never normally more than 2 people in there at any one time.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 03:07:26 pm »

Hm. I gave every dwarf a 2x2 bedroom with bed, cabinet, and much later a coffer ...

Food setup: a) Large prepared food stockpiles under each dining hall. Seemed to get used when dwarves got hungry after sleeping.
b) Outdoors plants stockpile, most dwarves who got hungry outdoors or in the barracks went there to get strawberries etc, c) indoor plants stockpile next to workshop, a favorite hangout of my fortress watch and hungry farmers.

Dining rooms setup:
a) these huge dining halls (2) with statues and engravings, next to the bedrooms deep in the fort. These hardly ever got used.
b) a couple of cheap chairs and tables next to food stockpiles, with like gold floors. These were used very often.
c) two left-over 3x3 dining rooms (high quality, engraved) somewhat close to outdoors food stockpiles. Used a fair bit.

Most common dwarves seemed to eat either standing up, or in whatever table (1) is closest to the stockpile where they got their food from. Dwarves who have their own dining room: Same behavior; seems to depend on where they are when they get hungry.

Once a dwarf gets hungry, IMO they path to the closest stockpile that has something they want and can afford (meal or edible fruit). Once once they have that food item, they IMO evaluate paths to their own table (if they have one) and the closest unoccupied one, and choose whichever of these is closest.

(1) table + chair, table assigned as dining room, no owner.
(2) large engraved room, lots of table+chair combinations, statues, only one of the tables assigned as dining room (no owner)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 03:15:38 pm by Samyotix »

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 03:25:01 pm »

A fortress with 800 dwarves? I'd like to see the hamster capable of powering that rig.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 03:29:16 pm »

It's two feet of solid muscle, has teeth that can cut through stone, and eats small dogs.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 03:37:33 pm »

Well, for all those who feel generous and give each dwarf a 3x3 room, that's 57 square feet, give or take a foot on each side. If you think about it, that makes some sense- it's only large enough for nine dwarves to stand shoulder-to-shoulder. A standard Real Life Bedroom would be 5x5 tiles for a small 150 sq. Ft. room. A noble's bedroom should be 7 by 9.

I opened up paint a while ago and started toying with the idea of a "real-sized" city instead of giving dwarves little Borg-like Alcoves. It would be colossal after all is said and done, fully filling most of a 4x4 area and having a population of only 200.

Oh, and by that same metric, at best an adventurer can see for what, 20 tiles? that's 50 feet.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 03:38:48 pm »

got about 28table+chairs serving 108 dwarves and that is including private diners for the nobs and excluding any non-designated feature tables or chairs in rooms or those in offices.

I plan on a huge banquetting hall though that will be able to seat all of them, it will be in the central isle of my obsidian cathedral flanked by the rows of coffins and statues honouring those that fell for the greater glory of the "gnawing the black bones of creation".
I hope to finish it before all coffins designated for the 7 primarchs are occupied. :/

edit: Did that city include more than one Z-level?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 04:21:00 pm »

got about 28table+chairs serving 108 dwarves and that is including private diners for the nobs and excluding any non-designated feature tables or chairs in rooms or those in offices.

I plan on a huge banquetting hall though that will be able to seat all of them, it will be in the central isle of my obsidian cathedral flanked by the rows of coffins and statues honouring those that fell for the greater glory of the "gnawing the black bones of creation".
I hope to finish it before all coffins designated for the 7 primarchs are occupied. :/

edit: Did that city include more than one Z-level?

It's actually only planned so far, I made a threat about it titled Onolerar Reborn if you wanna look at the design. Waiting till the update to start it.
It's not a complete tower, but it is quite tall. The current design of the entire fortress calls for 12 z-levels above ground, and 1 z-level below.

Might dig into the ground a couple levels to get at the tasty tasty stone though.

A fortress with 800 dwarves? I'd like to see the hamster capable of powering that rig.

I recently got a new computer, a laptop actually. 4 Gigs of ram, 256mb graphic card, 2.5GhZ Dual Core processor. I remember hitting 600 dwarves in a recent fortress, 6x6 size, Was able to average 20FPS. The 800 Dwarf fortress, should be able to fit in a 4x4 or 5x5 plot, so that should compinsate for the difference.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 04:25:55 pm by Alex Encandar »

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 04:25:33 pm »

Accidentally double posted, anyone see a delete button anywhere?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 04:27:06 pm by Alex Encandar »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 04:40:46 pm »

no sign of a delete button, but it sounds like it's gonna be the dwarffortress equivalent of an arcology.

Yeah I looked at the design of the fortress, I think it spanned 2/3 of the mapsurface and had columns every 10 tiles or so IIRC. Didn't look into much detail. only had a small patch of farmland.
You used reveal.exe, I think. Probably an editor to create the plans in the first place?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 04:42:18 pm »

Well, for all those who feel generous and give each dwarf a 3x3 room, that's 57 square feet, give or take a foot on each side. If you think about it, that makes some sense- it's only large enough for nine dwarves to stand shoulder-to-shoulder. A standard Real Life Bedroom would be 5x5 tiles for a small 150 sq. Ft. room. A noble's bedroom should be 7 by 9.

I opened up paint a while ago and started toying with the idea of a "real-sized" city instead of giving dwarves little Borg-like Alcoves. It would be colossal after all is said and done, fully filling most of a 4x4 area and having a population of only 200.

Oh, and by that same metric, at best an adventurer can see for what, 20 tiles? that's 50 feet.

What measurement are you giving each square? I always figured they were 5x5' or something like that. Has Toady ever said? Not that space in DF make all that much logical sense anyway.

I usually end up with a single large dining room with about 20 tables and chairs, and then a few scattered dining rooms around the fortress. I like to put them in towers, since I tend to have tall watchtowers with floors that don't have any particularly good use other then pushing the structure up a level.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 05:03:39 pm »

yeah. my capacity is spread out across several centralised large diners and a few distant low capacity   in the idea of a constructionsite dinercart. just a small stockpile with a table and a chair a small barracks nearby for the workers.

I have been wondering for a while though:
"does elevation add to a unit's range of LOS?"
(not counting being able to see over obstructions)
I have been assuming it modeled the same as sound from industry:
in a cube rather than a sphere.

LOS is naturally only limited by obstruction...sure at some point one fails to identify a moving thing but seeing anything approaching I'd assume it an aggressor in the DF universe untill it proves differently. Not that I'd shoot before knowing (I'm blatantly human), but we seem able to know the exact nature and number of those treading upon our chosen homerock anyhow without seeing in any case.

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 05:07:32 pm »

yeah. my capacity is spread out across several centralised large diners and a few distant low capacity   in the idea of a constructionsite dinercart. just a small stockpile with a table and a chair a small barracks nearby for the workers.

I have been wondering for a while though:
"does elevation add to a unit's range of LOS?"
(not counting being able to see over obstructions)
I have been assuming it modeled the same as sound from industry:
in a cube rather than a sphere.

LOS is naturally only limited by obstruction...sure at some point one fails to identify a moving thing but seeing anything approaching I'd assume it an aggressor in the DF universe untill it proves differently. Not that I'd shoot before knowing (I'm blatantly human), but we seem able to know the exact nature and number of those treading upon our chosen homerock anyhow without seeing in any case.
It doesn't add to LOS, the only real purpose I think defensively for elevation is that the z-level distance counts as 1 square, so it's next to impossible for enemy archers to shoot into your fortifications, assuming you have the elevation advantage on them.
Pages: [1] 2 3