Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How many Dining capacity per dwarf do you have?  (Read 2644 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: How many Dining capacity per dwarf do you have?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 05:21:59 pm »

nah that range difference adds to both AFAIK.
The defensive bonus comes from the fortifications, they give more protection the closer one is to them or something similar.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 05:37:39 pm »

Dining rooms don't need to be all that huge.

pssshhh. You have obviously never been to a true dwarven dining room. They are massive(at least in my mind). If possible make only one super dining room over 20 z levels high with at least 1000 stone chairs and 1000 stone tables. Dig out curving roof pillars to hold the thing up, glass windows in the upper reaches are also a must.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 06:15:04 pm »

Oh verilly it shall be done!

A hall of a dwarven thousand (999) seatings shall be excavated .....

once supercomputers have been reduced in price by say two hundred thousand monies. ;)

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 06:21:37 pm »

I always figured that one square is as big as one dwarf.

EDIT: Wait... or ... one... colossus?
Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 06:27:50 pm »

Dining rooms are the last thing I plan. Most dwarves are happy standing around eating. They don't get a bad thought from it. They get bad thoughts from the lack of a bedroom, but not a dining room. They are just extras for them. My most common room design is 3x3. The bed goes in the 1 spot (like a phone). The table goes in the 9 spot, chair in the 8, and a chest in the 3 spot. That is if the door is on the right. Opposite if the door is on the left. The rooms are usually in groups of  20 for ease of counting
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 06:38:03 pm »

no
dwarfs DO get bad thoughts from "the lack of chairs", which I interpreted as "we are tired of eating while standing up".

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 06:55:52 pm »

That makes sense. I just thought they wanted to rest every so often. Well, they are estatic anyway from my masterwork beds.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 08:46:15 am »

Alex, that must be nice. My PC is running with a 3.0 ghz pentium 4, about 1 gig of ram and a video card so old its recieving social security. It can just about handle 80-100 dwarves (20-ish fps) on a 2x2 map. This is with weather and temp turned off.

My laptop has an 800 Mhz AMD Sempron and only about 700k of ram. It is currently running a 4x4 fort with 210 dwarves (no weather or temp) and still getting 20-25 FPS. I got this thing on clearanc a few years ago. I'm still scratching my head as to why its outpoerforming my desktop
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 09:36:48 am »

Alex, that must be nice. My PC is running with a 3.0 ghz pentium 4, about 1 gig of ram and a video card so old its recieving social security. It can just about handle 80-100 dwarves (20-ish fps) on a 2x2 map. This is with weather and temp turned off.

My laptop has an 800 Mhz AMD Sempron and only about 700k of ram. It is currently running a 4x4 fort with 210 dwarves (no weather or temp) and still getting 20-25 FPS. I got this thing on clearanc a few years ago. I'm still scratching my head as to why its outpoerforming my desktop

Nice, I wonder if your laptop might be preforming better because it's more empty? That mightplay a major role in the preformance. Obviously pretty much all the options (weather, temp, caveins, etc.) were turned off on mine as well.
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 11:56:29 am »

What measurement are you giving each square? I always figured they were 5x5' or something like that. Has Toady ever said?

Yes, he has.  the exact quote is somewhere on these forums, but to paraphrase it was something like:

"A tile is big enough to pile in an infinite number of dragons, so long as only one of them is standing up.  It is also small enough that two dwarfs cant squeeze past each other unless one of them lies down and crawls."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 12:13:00 pm »

I started with the known constant of all tiles: they can hold 7 units of water.
1 unit of water sustains a dwarf for one month.
After a lot of data crunching, that implies that assuming each tile has a little over 6 feet of clear space- which makes sense, seeing as humans have no trouble going through Dwarven tunnels, and dwarves are master miners and would settle for nothing less- then they are 2.5 feet on the other two sides. For nearly all creatures, they would fit into a "fighting space" around that volume, and of course, they could easily overlap the edges somewhat. Toady has already said that somewhere, sometime, he might make bigger creatures become multi-tile, so the infinite dragon problem will go away.

But, I offer this: the map we see is not literal- the contents of each on-screen square represent what is in the center of the tile, not what fills the whole thing. And these Tile Centers are about 2.5 feet apart. The space between bleeds from one tile to the other, and the "space" a tile represents could vary from only a foot or two accross in the case of a wall, or to nearly five feet for a bed. But the centers are allways 2.5 feet distant. Tada!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 12:30:46 pm »

But dwarves would drink a different amount if they were in a desert than if they were in a temperate broadleaf forest. Also the dwarf might spill a lot of the water when he drinks it, which would throw off your caulculation.

I like to think of the tiles as 7' squares. This way the height of water is in feet, and dwarves have to swim in water over 3' high. Which, again, kind of makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is that a wagon traveling up a ramp is going up at an exact 45 degree angle. Which is quite difficult to do in reality. But we can probably just ignore that.

Anyway, as to the dining:

I always have just one dining hall. If someone needs a personal dining room, I just assign them one of the seating places. I typically have 1/5 the population in tables, but I like to stick 40-50 in there as soon as possible just so I don't have to think about it later.

Always smooth it first, keep smoothing elsewhere until your engraver is legendary, and then have him engrave the walls and floor. Install only masterwork furniture, and if the dining room isn't legendary start changing the regular masterwork stone furniture with masterwork obsidian or metal furniture.

The doors are always a masterwork obsidian unless I for some reason have surplus high-quality metal doors.

Also, side note, my dwarves share a communal bedroom. Each bed is assigned to a dwarf. I find that I need about 2 beds for every 3 dwarves because they get married and dwarfbang all day in the same bed. So if I'm planning for 200 dwarves, I build about 135 beds. The remaining space in the flophouse contains 3 each of masterwork obsidian or high quality metal cabinets, armor stands, weapon racks, and coffers (which are not assigned to anyone). This way each of my dwarves believes he owns 12 pieces of furniture (plus a bed). I find that my bedrooms hover just under Royal. In my current fortress I have an artifact olivine cabinet worth 30,000 monies, which helped my bedroom immensely.

My nobles gather together in a single office crammed with traps made from masterwork steel weapons and masterwork mechanisms. I assume it helps room value but I'm not sure.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 02:01:55 pm »

Well, dwarves are pretty short, 4-5 feet on average I think. So technically, the tiles could be shorter than they are wide, 5' tall, but 7'x7' flat.

That would make the angle...36 degrees? I think.

Example of 35 degree slope:
http://www.ecocover.com/images/photo-gallery/photo-gallery-2-29.jpg

Still steep, but doable.
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

Romantic Warrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 10:18:31 pm »

I just make a big communal dining hall, 20+ tables and chairs, and leave it at that. I can't see a dwarf having a quiet dinner alone. Not enough beer chugging, shouting, fighting, and messing up of artifact tables.
Dwarf Fortress and the Abstract Truth.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 11:02:11 pm »

I generally devote 1 floor to the dining room.   The table that specifies is placed somewhat centered, and  I define the room to it maximum size.  If I don't like the coverage I use a different table.  After that I generally provided tables and seats for 40, as a priority.  I have never seen more needed, however the floor space is there.

For bedrooms I actually just changed my strategy.  I no longer create or assign actual bedrooms with the exception of my farmers and nobles.  I do dig out spaces for rooms, place a door and a bed in them, and that is where I leave it.  By never using the bed to make a room no dwarf claims it, they don't drop junk there, and they don't have a room to run to when they have no job.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.
Pages: 1 [2] 3