Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Multi-tile units and Building Behavior  (Read 3867 times)

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multi-tile units and Building Behavior
« on: July 08, 2008, 02:24:48 pm »

When I read the suggestion about different orientations for buildings, it got me thinking about how buildings might be better handled, as it seems they are destined to remain hard-coded at the moment.

Multi-tile units like the wagon are very rarely used right now.  But, later on when things like boats and wagons become more common in the game, like after the caravan arc, there will need to be a good system for handling them.  Once this is implemented pretty much every building could be implemented like an immobile creature, and reactions would become extremely useful, as everything would be accessible.

This would allow a lot more simplification of code, and would pave the way towards much more complicated reactions between dwarves and their surroundings.

Not only would this allow different orientations for buildings, but it would also allow
  • a dwarf could reorganize furniture if he didn't like how a room is laid out
  • large furniture hauling could be more realistic, like dragging a bed behind you instead of carrying it over your head
  • catapults could be rolled up to your fortress instead of constructed on the spot
  • knocked over or damaged buildings, imagine a crazy dwarf knocking off the head of a statue or dragging every chair in the fortress into his room
  • wagons could be more easily used in actual gameplay, as dwarves could build them, and they could hold items just like a creature
  • boats could be made more easily, and use much of the same code as a wagon
  • massive modding opportunities would be created - because everything could use the same system, building a workshop would work the same way as using it (this would allow things like reactions which make creatures)
    • reproduction that doesn't happen by radio waves
    • magic like creating a fire elemental
    • necromancers unleashing a horde of undead
    • countless others that I don't feel like listing because I have other things to do
  • creatures that can't pass through narrow corridors
  • and many more!

Right now it looks as if buildings and creatures have been hard-coded to act like they do now and while this might make coding easier right now, it also means more work later on.

However, I'm not sure how much work redesigning this portion of DF would be.  All I can say is the benefits would be worth it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 02:27:48 pm by Jamuk »

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-tile units and Building Behavior
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 03:05:43 am »

worth it through and through

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 08:42:41 am »

Yay! A comment! (Sorry, had to wait 2 days before anybody posted so I thought maybe my post was idiotic or something)

But yeah, restructuring how buildings and multi-tile units work could allow tons of fun stuff to be implemented a lot faster and more easily.  I know it would require some work to actually restructure the game, but I really think it would be worth it, and would make so much of the programming more simple later on.

But yeah, I was hoping that somebody would think I had a good idea :D thanks juju for making me feel like a jenius.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 03:31:06 pm »

I'm not sure I understand this. You're basically suggesting making most things (furniture, workshops) units, which'll give them more flexibility and lay the groundwork for making creatures that are bigger than dwarves look bigger than dwarves.
Sounds like a lot of work, needing a whole slew of new tags and the ability to create (technically-)life using stone and architecture. And if sane dwarves moved furniture (reminds me of a suggestion about dwarves picking their own furniture in shops, which'd be cool), you'd need a new room designation system, or else you'd be flipping around making sure that they haven't wrecked your dining hall by moving THE table into a corner.
So I'd like to see more discussion about implementation, but it does sound excellent.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 03:51:27 pm »

Just remember that there is a limited degree in which the game can make Letters larger... In which it cannot

At most I guess is he could make four tiles that when put together make some sort of D

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 04:00:06 pm »

Just remember that there is a limited degree in which the game can make Letters larger... In which it cannot

At most I guess is he could make four tiles that when put together make some sort of D

If you are joking, hilarious...

Anyway, Skizelo, an object is an object is an object.  A dwarf is just a moving workshop that takes in food and produces tantrums.  A wagon is just a moving workshop that takes in items and produces... items...  Blah...

For moving furniture, why not keep the room definition the same, just change where the object is in it?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 04:07:17 pm »

If you are joking, hilarious

No it was established a while ago that the game cannot use large tiles or expand the size of a tile... (at least that is what I understood from the speach)

The Wagon is multiple different tiles strung together... or so I hear

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 04:15:50 pm »

well, yeah, but what's the problem with a multitile object?  wagons exist (sorta),  Workshops exist...

At some point there is going to need to be multitile objects, for wagons, dragons and dagon (weak, I apologize... even poetry.com failed me.)

Boats and stuff too.  It's not in there yet, but it's on the list of things that need to be done.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 04:30:33 pm »

I don't remember the part of the conversation where I said multitile creatures were a bad idea... Ever

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 09:55:30 pm »

Which is why wagons look like a giant W, right?

As far as dwarves re-furnishing, I think they should be able to replace a given piece of furniture with one they like better of the same type from the shop.  This gives them some freedom without ruining layout.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 10:07:40 pm »

"Which is why wagons look like a giant W, right?"

I find it funny that your retorting me for the sake of it.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 10:23:11 pm »

Which is why wagons look like a giant W, right?

It does?  I have conclusive evidence that it does NOT.

▓▓▓
▓░▓
▓░▓

Looks like an "n" to me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 10:24:26 pm »

I don't know Draco... it could be a U

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 11:05:57 pm »

Touche.  That just happened to be how my starting wagon was orriented

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 11:14:19 pm »

Or a c. Or a c drawn by an adorable but mischievous child.
(traditionally, adorable but mischievous children draw choice letters backwards. That was clear? I think it's clear)
Pages: [1] 2