Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Notification when a dwarf is injured.  (Read 787 times)

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Notification when a dwarf is injured.
« on: July 08, 2008, 10:22:42 am »

I think it would be great if there was some notification/announcement for when a dwarf gets injured.

This would be most useful for sparring dwarves; when you got the message you could go and check on the dwarf straight away to see if they have a spine/brain injury. This would save on having to keep checking up on everyone in the army every couple of months to see if any have permanent injuries, and would also reduce a lot of the 'hey, why aren't my dwarves sparring' type questions on the forum.

Maybe another (though less useful) addition would be a notification of when a dwarf recovers from an injury.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Notification when a dwarf is injured.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:09:22 am »

Relatedly, it might be nice to have a zoom and pause when a dwarf dies. Now you can have "Asen Avuzizeg, Armorer has been struck down" without having a clue how, why and where it happened. In a developed fortress, that's a lot of corridors to search in.

- A similar message is "A masterpiece of Ral Godentirist has been lost!". Again: where, how and why: no clue.
- The ability to zoom to the place where past messages happened would also be interesting.
- And a raw to determine which messages get which treatment. I don't care in the least about the birth of the 7th kid of the 12th guard. The death of my legendary craftsdwarves, otoh: see above.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:14:01 pm »

FYI, on the (z)-stocks screen at the very bottom is a list for corpses, which you can use to zoom to dead dwarves.

Anyway, good ideas

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 12:26:13 pm »

And make sure you have the ability to set what level of injury you want to see. I personalyl would want it to go like this: Bruises, no. Moderate wounds - maybe, if it's a hostile. Broken bones: Yes. Red wounds: Yes.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 01:30:07 pm »

I would make it based on a order screen option, like job cancellations: All, Most, (Serious) Some, (Life threatening) Few, None.
Brown wounds. All only.
Yellow wounds. All & Most
Red wounds. All, Most, & Some
Missing parts. All, Most, Some, & Few
Any wounds to vital organs are bumped up one notch, and any nervous system wounds (until Toady lets them eventually heal) are bumped up two.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 01:56:25 pm »

FYI, on the (z)-stocks screen at the very bottom is a list for corpses, which you can use to zoom to dead dwarves.

It's a mediocre work-around and requires that you have a bookkeeper keeping perfect records, which is currently bugged in that once perfect, always perfect.