Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tweak :S  (Read 1296 times)

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tweak :S
« on: July 07, 2008, 05:12:54 pm »

Ya'll probably don't remember me, I wouldn't be surprised, I wasn't terribly memorable... but I'm back ;)

And with a question... anyone know how to get Tweak to work with Vista?  Don't bother telling me Vista sucks, I know, but it's my only _legal_ OS atm so I kinda gotta work around it
Demon of Darkness

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
Re: Tweak :S
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 08:09:54 pm »

I'm gonna take a wild stab at this one. First, make sure your .net framework is fully updated. I'm guessing the current build is 3.5, available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en

I haven't installed my copy of Vista, but I assume there is some sort of compatibility mode setting that might fix it. Try making a shortcut to the tweak.exe and right clicking it, going to properties and looking for a compatibility tab with options for 2000 or XP. If there is something about 32bit/64bit I'd put it at 32bit.

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 08:35:00 pm »

It works for me.
Try getting your .Net framework up to date.

What exactly is your problem though?
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 12:56:14 am »

Thanks guys, another case of me gettin ahead of myself :p
Demon of Darkness

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 02:18:39 pm »

Hey, I remember you! or was that Sivran from somewhere else... curse that failing memory. :P

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 09:51:46 pm »

I have Vista, all three .NET files downloaded and installed, and I still can't get it to work.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Balor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 12:32:33 pm »

Well, you can freely 'downgrade' your vista to an appropriate XP version. Like you could use Win 2000 if you have XP licence. Never used that myself (not planning to get Vista any time soon, unless some really cool game comes requiring DX 10 ONLY), but it should work.
See microsoft.com for details :).
Sapienti Sat.

Anjey aka PM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 02:47:33 pm »

Not sure about tweaks but I had problem with AHK on vista which was solved by running both DF and AHK script with administrative privileges (Right click on EXE --> run as administrator)
he greatest programming project of all took six days; on the seventh day the programmer rested. We''ve been trying to debug the *&^%$#@ thing ever since. Moral: design before you implement.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 10:15:42 pm »

<shameless plug>

If you're looking for an operating system, don't want to pirate XP, think Vista sucks (and who doesn't?) and are willing to put up with a bit of experimentation, I strongly recommend trying a Linux distro. It's free, it's remarkably easy (don't believe the naysayers who rant on about xorg.conf and recompiling the kernel... they're outliers and/or assholes), and best of all, it runs DF and every utility I've tried flawlessly under WINE.

</ shameless plug>

Now that's done with, you'll probably have the best results with DF and associated utils under Vista by setting compat. modes (in the properties of the executable) and running it as admin (which I always did by starting an admin command prompt, but I'm wierd that way). Other than that, I'm not sure... try running it in safe/single user mode (whatever it's called these days) and see if that works.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 12:30:21 am »

Doesn't WINE cause a bit of a choke on performance?  I thought most emulators had problems keeping up speed in comparison to the native OS they're pretending to be.  And DF needs all the power it can get.

Linux is magnificent...  Provided you know how to use it.  And that can take a while.

Anjey aka PM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 05:03:31 am »

Doesn't WINE cause a bit of a choke on performance?  I thought most emulators had problems keeping up speed in comparison to the native OS they're pretending to be.

Yep, and the windows is worst emulator ever  ;D

he greatest programming project of all took six days; on the seventh day the programmer rested. We''ve been trying to debug the *&^%$#@ thing ever since. Moral: design before you implement.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 09:11:31 pm »

Well, Tweak works fine for me on Vista. As does everything else I've used (including programs that supposedly have serious conflicts with Vista)... I haven't had a single problem with Vista... yet

Then again, computers seem to just love me, so I don't know if this helps.

I've tried several builds of Linux, and if you're looking to get away from Windows, then it's definitely an option. It can be difficult to use at times (UNIX can be a bitch when it wants to be), but with KDE or GNOME, it's pretty easy to do most of what you want.

Can't speak for WINE, because I haven't used it. Odd, that.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 11:39:38 pm »

Tweak works fine for me as well.
You have to actually download and install all three 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0.  They're not backwards compatible.
Least, that's all I did.  Oh yeah, and make sure to restart your computer between each one.  It's a pain, yes, but Tweak is a nifty tool.  And pretty much every other DF-altering program uses it anyway.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries