Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unable to connect lever to retracted bridge  (Read 943 times)

rjensen1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Unable to connect lever to retracted bridge
« on: July 06, 2008, 07:03:45 pm »

After a fluke hydra attack during which I realized that my levers were all too far from where my dwarves hang out, I decided to move the levers to a single location safe inside of my base. (not directly next to the bridges that they each control) So, I build new levers and removed the old ones. However, I didn't realize that one of my 5 bridges was still retracted, and now I am unable to connect a new lever to it. I can not extend the bridge because the lever that controlled it was already removed. I got some error message about the dwarf not being able to reach the destination (to attach the mechanisms)

rjensen1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to connect lever to retracted bridge
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 11:40:25 am »

Sorry, I realized that this information is probably useless without letting you know which version I'm playing. I've got 38b. Also, this game is amazing. I realized that it may have been rude to post my first comment in the bug report sub-forum.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 11:56:02 am »

Is the dwarf able to reach both sides/ends of the bridge?  If not, he may be trying to connect to the unreachable end.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

rjensen1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 11:57:28 am »

Ok, I just checked this in 38C. I have the same problem.

rjensen1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 11:58:25 am »

Is the dwarf able to reach both sides/ends of the bridge?  If not, he may be trying to connect to the unreachable end.

Yes, he can reach both ends. I remember watching them hook the mechanics up, and they would stand right in the middle of the bridge. I think that's what the dwarf wants to do, but he can't reach that spot because the bridge is retracted.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 04:41:12 pm »

You can unbuild the bridge even when it is retracted.  That will get you around your immediate problem.

It would be nice to to still be able to hook up mechanisms when the bridge is raised or retracted.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

rjensen1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 04:15:02 pm »

You can unbuild the bridge even when it is retracted.  That will get you around your immediate problem.

It would be nice to to still be able to hook up mechanisms when the bridge is raised or retracted.

Thanks. I just realized this a bit ago and have unbuilt and rebuilt it.