Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I ain't swimming there  (Read 675 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I ain't swimming there
« on: July 06, 2008, 06:16:22 pm »

Hey in my first year i was just wandering along getting everything set up when come summer my lakes and pools started to dry out. I thought this was a glitch but it is the spring of a new year and the still haven't refilled (save for the ones involved in my moat) is this a bug or will they refill eventually?

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I ain't swimming there
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 07:11:40 pm »

Nope! Unless you're on a freezing map, and the landscape gets covered in snow (which then melts for a full 7 of water), then it's dry forever.
Rainfall only annoys dwarves at the moment, though there's a good thread somewhere in suggestions forum about how to get it create water without it either looking weird or killing your computer.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 07:14:50 pm »

what so these lakes which, by the way, must have existed for years, suddenly dry up when I get near? am I really that ugly?

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 07:18:54 pm »

I've seen pools refill by themselves every year, but they must not be dry at the new year else they won't refill...
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 07:44:54 pm »

what so these lakes which, by the way, must have existed for years, suddenly dry up when I get near? am I really that ugly?

I think it's because the game does temperature calculations more carefully in fortress mode.  They'll refill from rain in the next version, though.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 08:01:54 pm »

I've seen pools refill by themselves every year, but they must not be dry at the new year else they won't refill...
Any ice that melts will generate 7/7 of water, even if it was 1/7 when it froze. Thus, biomes that freeze over the winter can generate infinite amounts of water if you really want to bother.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels