Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Does every command work on the keyboard of a portable computer ?

Yes
- 7 (41.2%)
No
- 4 (23.5%)
You're a French man, for real ?
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Portable Computer  (Read 1650 times)

De Valmont

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Portable Computer
« on: July 06, 2008, 02:49:08 pm »

Well hello,
I'm hedged in the screen "Prepare for the Journey" because of the commands + and -, which do not work, apparently. My question is : Does every command work on the keyboard of a portable computer, more precisely on a european keyboard (yeah, I am French, sorry for that - not for being French, hey ? for my wording).

Angellus

Re: Portable Computer
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 02:56:37 pm »

I'm dutch, we p0wned you guys at soccer ^^

But yes, most of those games become very hard to play on laptop's (If you mean a ppc then you have to tell me how you got it to work XD), but the keys should all be replaceable with other keys.

p.s. I hate soccer, I'm also happy to have heard that we got our arses kicked by Russia ^^

De Valmont

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 03:35:37 pm »

Soccwhat ? :mrgreen:

Thanks, I gonna try to palliate these difficulties.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 03:41:18 pm »

First, Angellus, it's 'football', not 'soccer'. Call it 'soccer' and you risk incurring the wrath of every fan in the UK :P (screw the fact that it's called 'soccer' in the US, they don't even like the damn sport ::))

Anyway, I had to play DF on a laptop while my desktop computer was broken a few months ago. The problem with + and - is that the game wants the numberpad keys, and not the keys that are beside the backspace key; numpad keys often are not on laptops as separate keys, but are on some other keys as a 'second function' (which is treated pretty much like holding down the Shift key, but there'll be a "Function" key or something similar that you hold down instead)

If you are forced into playing it on a laptop then either get a USB keyboard that you can plug into it or fiddle around with the key bindings to something that's more laptop-friendly :)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Angellus

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 04:14:29 pm »

I know, but since the american version of english is the one mostly used I refered to that one.
Does anyone know where toady's from?

Jing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 04:32:57 pm »

they do all work.  You might need to hold down two keys in order to use the +/-

the + & - specifically mean the "numpad" keys (on a regular keyboard, the set of keys generally located on the far right)... and not the "number bar" (the set of numbers found above the letters).

on a laptop/portable computer, look for the set of keys in a different color (for example, purple is common).  It should match a "Fn" key, typically found near ctrl and alt.  You'll need to hold down the Fn key to use the 'purple' keys.

For example, on my dell laptop (which i play DF on), my Fn key is in purple, and on the lower left side of the keyboard.  The matching purple numpad is
7 8 9 0
u i o p
j k l ;
m  . /

; is -
/ is +

so i hold down Fn and press ; to make - ... make sense?

Your keyboard might not have the same color or key layout

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 04:39:24 pm »

I don't really like doing that everytime I need to use the + and - keys, so I just remapped them to the ones next to the number row.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 04:49:30 pm »

Yup, I remapped it too. Now instead of + and -, I use Page Down and Home, since my laptop's layout is so different from the two other computers I play DF on.
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 04:59:59 pm »

First, Angellus, it's 'football', not 'soccer'. Call it 'soccer' and you risk incurring the wrath of every fan in the UK :P (screw the fact that it's called 'soccer' in the US, they don't even like the damn sport ::))
In all fairness, it's called soccer in Canada too, and we like it quite a bit. Also Australia and New Zealand, I believe, and according to wikipedia the term "soccer" comes from Oxford so isn't really from the "american version of English".

Also, plenty of ESL countries have adopted the name "soccer" into their own native tongue, such as Japanese.

Anyway, De Valmont: two other things to add. 1) make sure you save the remapped keys to a text file so they automatically load whenever you start up. There is a hotkey for that in the key mapper. 2) consider getting a portable keypad, as remapped keys will push certain menus and descriptions out of alignment in annoying places.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 05:18:09 pm »

Yeah, I can't really use the "reserved barrels" option at the moment.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 06:07:02 pm »

Yea I play on laptop and If you hold down the blue fn  key (on an acer laptop) then press the key with a blue + or - it should work. again this is laptop type specific but you should have one.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 09:05:40 pm »

according to wikipedia the term "soccer" comes from Oxford so isn't really from the "american version of English".
I'm well aware of the word's origins (it's also where 'rugger' comes from for rugby, so there was an obvious difference between 'association football' and 'rugby football'. Did Wiki tell you that? If not then there you go, that's how 'soccer' came about...bloody English :P), and I never said it was from the "American version of English", but that it is a term that Americans use which many Brits detest.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 12:39:28 am »

If you're lazy about remapping it yourself (like me), the wiki has special bindings for laptops: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Key_bindings

RandomRandomUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 03:40:45 pm »

In all fairness, it's called soccer in Canada too, and we like it quite a bit. Also Australia and New Zealand, I believe, and according to wikipedia the term "soccer" comes from Oxford so isn't really from the "american version of English".

Canada is terrible at football so you forfeit your right to name it. It was invented here in England and we called it football, it's not our fault that people get it wrong or confused with an entirely different game. The Americans get everything wrong e.g. "modeling" instead of "modelling" when there is clearly a need for a double "l" due to the extended "l" sound. You might as well say "caling" instead of "calling". Just don't get me started on "color" okay?
You live and learn then you die and forget it all

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 03:47:12 pm »

shavian ftw!

Quote from: Angellus
Does anyone know where toady's from?

Well here's the info for donations:

Tarn Adams
PO Box 2990
Silverdale, WA 98383-2990

So it looks like he's from Washington State (yay a fellow Washingtonian)

Pages: [1] 2