Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: question and a problem  (Read 1488 times)

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
question and a problem
« on: August 11, 2006, 02:28:00 am »

1) How exactly would one go about taming an animal like a unicorn (what professions/items are needed)

2)Whenever a craftsman finishes working on an artificat, he always seems to drag it around instead of depositing it in a stockpile. I'd like to sell that stuff to my greedy dwarves

3)Did i mention that a sherrif, broker, bookmaker, and manager all arrived in one wave of migration. Heck of a job providing for their demands. Specially since i haven't really gotten any valuable metals for coins yet.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: question and a problem
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 02:37:00 am »

I don't remember if you can make unicorns into pets, but the basic procedure is to place a cage trap (I think you can but these outside).  This isn't one of those little animal traps, but an actual cage, and then a cage trap.  An animal that steps into it will be caged, and you can then tame it at the kennels.

The dwarf chooses what to do with the artifact.  They can become possessive, drop it, and so on.  If they drop it, you can use it in your fortress.

Congratulations, getting nobles is a milestone.  Now your life will become molded around provided for them.  This will force you to expand, find more metals, and so on.  The bookkeeper's demand for coins is incessant and annoying - on the hand, he won't get very upset (or upset at all?) if you ignore him.  It's good to have the coins though, because once you get a bookkeeper and a manager, your economy starts.  You might notice that your dwarves pay rent on their rooms now, and they have accounts, and they get wages.  Just when you thought the game
as complicated enough, it becomes more so.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 02:44:00 am »

quote:
You might notice that your dwarves pay rent on their rooms now, and they have accounts, and they get wages.

Wow. Just...wow.
Sorry, couldnt help it.

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 12:29:00 pm »

i just have trouble imagining what one of my dwarves might want to do with a giant, well-crafted door, let alone want to drag it along all the time.

I want to use the thing for my fortress entrance, let it be of use if the value of it leads to me being swarmed under with migrants.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 12:32:00 pm »

That's right, I forgot about artifact furniture.  Dwarves are really strangely greedy little creatures.

Premier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 12:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ussdefiant:
<STRONG>i just have trouble imagining what one of my dwarves might want to do with a giant, well-crafted door, let alone want to drag it along all the time.</STRONG>

Maybe he's trying to send you the message that he and his mates really, REALLY want to be given some shields for all those skirmishes they end up in...  :)

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 01:14:00 pm »

slight worry: is it usual for me to go an entire year without seeing anything but the autumn caravan?

I have a road built to the map edge, but i don't seem to be getting any humans around.

I did get a set of messages in the second year indicating that they had come and left, but the  road was still under construction and they never showed on the map at all.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 01:29:00 pm »

Humans will just bypass the site if you don't have a 3 wide road going off forever on the left edge.  I thought I might have allowed their mules to come, but maybe that isn't working properly.  Humans are the only other visitors you should expect at first, besides migrants (and evil evil forest creatures and cave dwellers).

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 01:36:00 pm »

the road's there, though, i think it was fully built in that save i sent you too.

BTW, the dwarves don't really seem to want to grab any of the coins they've earned out of the  stockpiles. Or to buy any of the tacky crafts that my craftsdwarves keep turning out.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 01:38:00 pm »

have you set up shops for them to buy them in?  it's a new building you get when the economy starts.

edit:  they don't consolidate their coins very frequently, but they'll do it eventually, especially when they are on break, I think.  They need personal rooms (which I think you had), and it helps if they have coffers in them.

edit 2:  yeah, there merchants are seeming iffy.  I'm testing your map again now.

[ August 11, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

[ August 11, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 01:56:00 pm »

Concerning 3-wide roads, how do I make one with all the rocks lying around preventing roads? :S

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 02:02:00 pm »

you go and detail the rocks

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 02:04:00 pm »

I did, they still block roads. Or do they simply work like road tiles?

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 02:06:00 pm »

like road tiles, or at least they did in the mo vies.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 02:10:00 pm »

Yeah, sorry about the confusion.  A detailed rock will work like part of a road.
Pages: [1] 2