Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trap ideas, not idea's (sorry skizelo ^^)  (Read 1386 times)

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
Re: Trap ideas, not idea's (sorry skizelo ^^)
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 12:27:04 pm »

The Swedish language does not use the apostrophe. At all. :D

Colour me surprised when I finally figure out how to use the finicky thing while browsing IRC rooms,
(after driving at least six operators and several anal retentive spellers nuts with improper usage).

Anyways, to keep it on topic. Traps can be categorized in two columns, automatic, and manual.

Automatic traps trigger once, or several times (until jammed with bits of victims(or out of ammo)), in this category we find the cage-traps, the stone fall traps and of course the weapon traps.

Manual traps are a little more complicated in that they don't trigger the moment someone steps into one. It could be anything from the simple spike trap to the impressive flooding chamber. Or even something sinister like the collapsing roof. These traps needs to be triggered manually, either by dwarf operated lever, or pressure plates (Even I haven't managed to figure out how to best use those, and I'm insane.) which can be triggered by water, hostiles, or your own citizens for humorous effects. These traps can be used to alter passages, trigger spikes, toggle bars and grates or floodgates and even doors and hatches. For some more indirect mayhem. Heck, you could make a giant catapult using a bridge. The possibilities are plenty!

Unless of course you're up against Kobolds, for that I recommend relocating the fortress. Cheeky little Commando wannabes...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 12:39:26 pm by Cajoes »
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 04:54:24 pm »

Unless of course you're up against Kobolds, for that I recommend relocating the fortress. Cheeky little Commando wannabes...

Just station expendable animals on chains or ropes to spot sneakers befor they get inside your fort(useful war dogs will be eaten by the first ambush, beak dog, etc. to wander by).

You can even use it in combination with manual traps, tho lone kobold and gobbos will run once spotted('That's right! FEAR the chained KITTEN!!') - maybe release the animal between two pet-locked doors, with a third outter so you can catch the intruder if they flee as soon as the first pet-door opens?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 04:58:40 pm by Wolfius »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 12:16:48 am »

OK sorry to be completely offtopic. There're my 2 cents.
My favourite way of demon-killing is a cave-in.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 02:12:17 am »

Shallow wading pool with menacing spikes of clear glass.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.
Pages: 1 [2]