Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Road Types?  (Read 925 times)

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Road Types?
« on: July 06, 2008, 01:59:03 pm »

Hey there, came across a problem I haven't had before building roads.

Alright, so I'm trying to make a precious metals highway that spans across a couple of crevasses, the lower layer is already complete, now I'm working on the actual roads themselves.

For the center section, gold block road, for the sides, platinum etching.

However since I don't want to bankrupt my fortress, I'm including a number of less precious metals in the mix, namely iron, brass, copper, and silver. Iron goes with the gold, and the rest goes with the platinum.

Now I always make sure to have more of the main ingredient (gold and platinum) in the construction, as well as designating those items first. However, I've started getting iron roads and copper roads.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Road Types?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 03:47:03 pm »

Does the order that you add the components matter? Such as X gold then Y iron, opposed to Y iron then X gold?

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 04:25:18 pm »

I make sure that I select the metal I want as the designation first, as well as making it the majority.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 04:25:59 pm »

Try making it the last metal you designate, too.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Angellus

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 04:29:41 pm »

I make sure that I select the metal I want as the designation first, as well as making it the majority.
Untelligent is probably right, as far as I know the first or the last ingredient is the main color of the object.

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 04:43:54 pm »

Just tried your advice untilligent, didn't work unfortunately. I'm beginning to wonder if it is either

A) The first bar that the dwarf decides to stick in on his own free will or
B) Works as a probability, so 66% chance of platinum road, 33% gold road with 2 platinum bars and 1 gold bar.

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 06:58:01 pm »

Decided to bite the bullet and just make all one metal type.

What seems to be the problem though is that the road is decided on the last item the dwarf uses in its construction, NOT the last one you designate. So controlling it is hard.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 07:02:46 pm »

Precious Metal Roads oughta attact entire goblin Nations to your doorstep. Hell, forget the goblins, it oughta attract Dragon flocks.

Frankly, paving your roads with gold and platinum is like taking out your wedding tackle and flopping it in a starving doberman's mouth, then whipping said dog with a rolled up wet towel.

Besides, Bauxite/Kaolinite roads are so much cooler. They look like you've paved with blood, which sends a more appropriate message anyway: Come here and die.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 07:55:38 pm »

Having played with this style of road myself, I came to the conclusion that the order in which the ingredient items were originally made (or mined if rock) is critical. But this is mostly me speculating irresponsibly, so take it with a mound of salt.

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 11:03:34 pm »

Decided to bite the bullet and just make all one metal type.

What seems to be the problem though is that the road is decided on the last item the dwarf uses in its construction, NOT the last one you designate. So controlling it is hard.

Could you try setting up all the roads, then forbidding all the platinum, then waiting till the roads got suspended and un-forbidding?

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 02:53:53 am »

The roads are finished.

It's more of a bridge of precious metals from one end of the map to the other, than a road, with a small castle at the end of it ;P